Fire Rick Hahn

Chicago White Sox

As horrible as the roster is that Hahn put together,  so many people actually thought this team would win their division. Many fans and insiders thought they could win a playoff series. 

People are actually disappointed this incredibly flawed roster isn't winning. Just looking at half the mistakes Hahn made should have had everyone predicting third place. We all could see they had no chance. 

25 minutes ago, Texsox said:

As horrible as the roster is that Hahn put together,  so many people actually thought this team would win their division. Many fans and insiders thought they could win a playoff series. 

People are actually disappointed this incredibly flawed roster isn't winning. Just looking at half the mistakes Hahn made should have had everyone predicting third place. We all could see they had no chance. 

As weak as the AL Central has been they still should have won their division. This is where the “how many guys are dramatically worse than they should have been” comes in. Some of these flops were easily foreseen (Kelly, seriously Wtf are you signing an already injured pitcher for), some of them are bad timing or bad luck (Grandal maybe) but some of this shit is on the coaching staff. Robert and Moncada’s constant injuries. Guys going the other way rather than pulling the ball. Moncada’s sudden shift into a bloop single hitter. The 1-2 count intentional walks. The week where the whole infield forgot how to play defense and still no one knows what the hell was going on.

• Hawk 1

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

As weak as the AL Central has been they still should have won their division. This is where the “how many guys are dramatically worse than they should have been” comes in. Some of these flops were easily foreseen (Kelly, seriously Wtf are you signing an already injured pitcher for), some of them are bad timing or bad luck (Grandal maybe) but some of this shit is on the coaching staff. Robert and Moncada’s constant injuries. Guys going the other way rather than pulling the ball. Moncada’s sudden shift into a bloop single hitter. The 1-2 count intentional walks. The week where the whole infield forgot how to play defense and still no one knows what the hell was going on.

I agree. Which leads to this paradox. One of the worst GMs in baseball, who should be fired, put together a horrible roster that should be winning the division.

Is he really as bad as we're saying here, or did Hahn hand a decent roster to a horrible manager who then didn't deal with unforseen injuries and rapid declining players? 

Personally, I'm struggling to reconcile he sucks with we should be winning. 

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

I agree. Which leads to this paradox. One of the worst GMs in baseball, who should be fired, put together a horrible roster that should be winning the division.

Is he really as bad as we're saying here, or did Hahn hand a decent roster to a horrible manager who then didn't deal with unforseen injuries and rapid declining players? 

Personally, I'm struggling to reconcile he sucks with we should be winning. 

Difference between the 99 win team they should have been at this point in a rebuild and the 89 win team they are on paper? Rick Hahn.

Difference between the 89 win team they are on paper and the 79 win pace they’re on right now? Coaching staff.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • TLR 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Difference between the 99 win team they should have been at this point in a rebuild and the 89 win team they are on paper? Rick Hahn.

Difference between the 89 win team they are on paper and the 79 win pace they’re on right now? Coaching staff.

Good point. 

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

One of the many things I don’t understand about Jerry. I understand loyalty, but that’s Hahn spending like 30 million on a combined zero fWAR for the season, in the middle of the “window”

How can you be ok spending those resources that resulted in…this. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • TLR 1

Hahn built a line-up in large part based on their potential power...the ability to blow teams out with HRs.

Then the league decides that there are too many HR so  baseballs all of a sudden  travel like they are  filled with sawdust.

OK, a few guys have bad years, but to me it looked like a lot of balls that were hit to the warning track this year would have been HR in past years.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

One of the many things I don’t understand about Jerry. I understand loyalty, but that’s Hahn spending like 30 million on a combined zero fWAR for the season, in the middle of the “window”

How can you be ok spending those resources that resulted in…this. 

Hahn has wasted millions and millions of JR's money on stiff's, has been's, retreads and injury prone guys. Starting with Jeff Keppinger...10 years worth and still he has a job.

I can only think of two reasons...he's loyal and/or the White Sox are making so much money through the myriad domestic and international avenues (like all of MLB) that JR really doesn't seem to mind.  

1 hour ago, tray said:

Hahn built a line-up in large part based on their potential power...the ability to blow teams out with HRs.

Then the league decides that there are too many HR so  baseballs all of a sudden  travel like they are  filled with sawdust.

OK, a few guys have bad years, but to me it looked like a lot of balls that were hit to the warning track this year would have been HR in past years.

Unfortunately the sawdust balls only seem to be impacting White Sox hitters, who rank 26th across The MLB in that statistic despite playing at Comiskey Park II. White Sox pitchers have given up 135 HRs, also the league average. 17 teams haven allowed less home runs this season.

The home run differential of minus 29 coincides with the run differential of minus 42. Rick Hahn's personal batting coach selection of Frank Menechino, plays a role, if not a big role in this unfortunate set of circumstances. Tony La Russa also agrees with the small ball approach, but Hahn brought him in October of 2019 and is responsible for this approach to hitting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Unfortunately the sawdust balls only seem to be impacting White Sox hitters, who rank 26th across The MLB in that statistic despite playing at Comiskey Park II. White Sox pitchers have given up 135 HRs, also the league average. 17 teams haven allowed less home runs this season.

The home run differential of minus 29 coincides with the run differential of minus 42. Rick Hahn's personal batting coach selection of Frank Menechino, plays a role, if not a big role in this unfortunate set of circumstances. Tony La Russa also agrees with the small ball approach, but Hahn brought him in October of 2019 and is responsible for this approach to hitting.

It's really interesting as well since TLR had little tolerance for hitting coaches that can't do the job. He had six of them just in his time in Oakland.

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

He thinks Menechino is doing a good job they hit for average. 

Dirty Frank is doing what he was hired to do.

Hahn foresaw the league trying to move away from 3 outcome baseball.  He wanted balls in play, more swinging, more line drives.

But he failed to realize that his slow, fly ball hitting, greedy roster would struggle at executing his plan.  

He has to go.  He received the dream scenario of failing miserably and getting the opportunity to do a complete rebuild.  Then received a more than fair budget to support his project the past two seasons.  

• Fire 1

On 8/28/2022 at 6:51 PM, tray said:

Sounds like a preview of Hahn's offseason press conference before they proceed to add nobody on a contract with a total value of more than $20 million going forward into 2023.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Idk where to put this: 

Only one goes this winter. Who do you choose? 

Hahn

TLR 

Jerry

If i had to choose? TLR.

At least give the GM autonomy to succeed or screw it up with full accountability.

17 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Idk where to put this: 

Only one goes this winter. Who do you choose? 

Hahn

TLR 

Jerry

Jerry, because a new owner will eventually clean the other ones out. Frankly I have no idea how the other 2 would stay employed for more than 24 hours without Jerry. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Jerry, because a new owner will eventually clean the other ones out. Frankly I have no idea how the other 2 would stay employed for more than 24 hours without Jerry. 

I said Jerry for the same reason. Jerry sells and the other two are gone virtually immediately. 

Of course it's the Sox that make these type of deals and lose on most of them. All were no-brainers when signed, now at best they look like market value, and at worst an albatross. It's possible that zero of the team options for Moncada, Robert and Jimenez are exercised. Robert and Jimenez still have time. 

A very White Sox happening. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1