Fire Rick Hahn

Chicago White Sox

18 hours ago, bmags said:

He was here for a week. Great post though.

How many "prospects" have FutureSox writers fallen in love with?

What percentage have actually succeeded with the White Sox....maybe 5-10% at the very most.  I'd say 5-7% is much closer to the reality than anything like what the Guardians are pulling off so far.

Trevor Stephan a 3rd round pick of the Yankees. 

Emmanuel Clase - Wikipedia   Padres picked him originally, gave him up in a terrible trade, as did the Texas Rangers as well.

Sam Hentges a fourth round pick out of ARK.

Enyel De Los Santos - Wikipedia  PItched for two MLB teams previously.

Eli Morgan an 8th round pick out of Gonzaga.  

Konnor Pilkington a 96 OPS+

2022 Cleveland Guardians Statistics | Baseball-Reference.com

Top four pitches on the team are all young/er relievers ranging from 349 (Clase and Jhoan Duran arguably the two best young relievers in the game, along with Omar's Coming on the Orioles)...then the other three names I mentioned are all 124-138.

In fact, only disappointment is a veteran in Shaw who's terribly underperforming and on his very last legs as an MLB pitcher in all likelihood.

Just those 5-6 guys alone right there is enough to break the balance or stalemate between daily line-ups and starting rotations pitching on fumes in the case of CLE.

Had a chance to sign her earlier.

https://nypost.com/2022/09/08/tony-la-russa-hoping-for-white-sox-return-soon-going-to-be-ok/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter

Word is Marlins GM Kim Ng will finally have power this winter. Don’t blame her for the missteps of Derek Jeter and his righthand henchman Gary Denbo.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

She’s been a total disaster also.  How’s this any different than Hahn getting excused for Tony and KW?

Hahn has been GM for a decade. Jeter and Marlins ownership has been a complete s%*# show since day one. Jeter and Denbo ran the show, Kim walked in late to the shitshow.

She did a good job with the Sox (1990-1996, their best six year period in a half century), also won three WS with the Yankees as assistant GM. 

If the Marlins suck 4-5 years out, and ownership is legitimately spending and she hasn’t paid a foundation to rebuild the organization, then you could say she was/is bad.

Judging her now would the the same as calling Hahn a total disaster in the Summer of 2013, several months after he was promoted, though fitted with what Kenny’s training wheels.

On 9/8/2022 at 5:41 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

She did a good job with the Sox (1990-1996, their best six year period in a half century), also won three WS with the Yankees as assistant GM. 

The core of that team was built from 1987-1990 by Larry Himes, via drafts of McDowell, Ventura, Thomas and Fernandez (and others) and the trades of Baines and Bannister and the trade for R. Hernandez.  The Schueler group's contribution was the Raines trade right when they arrived.

That says nothing about her abilities and performance, of course; and I think the evidence that she was under the thumb of Jeter is a lot more compelling than that Hahn was under the thumb of Williams/LaRussa for every move he made.  I'm interested to watch how she rebuilds the Marlins.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GreenSox said:

The core of that team was built from 1987-1990 by Larry Himes, via drafts of McDowell, Ventura, Thomas and Fernandez (and others) and the trades of Baines and Bannister and the trade for R. Hernandez.  The Schueler group's contribution was the Raines trade right when they arrived.

That says nothing about her abilities and performance, of course; and I think the evidence that she was under the thumb of Jeter is a lot more compelling than that Hahn was under the thumb of Williams/LaRussa for every move he made.  I'm interested to watch how she rebuilds the Marlins.

No, I agree about Himes being the architect, and if course Jerry had to get rid of Larry first chance he had because organizations win championships, and he is the organization.

Just concurring she deserves a fair shake in Miami or elsewhere if she leaves, and she is far more qualified than Hahn or most other candidates when she was finally offered a GM job, albeit at one of the few organizations / ownership groups across The MLB possibly as bad or even worse than the Sox.

Hahn on why Robert wasn't put on the IL:

“We did not place him on the IL because I don’t think at any point, either prior to his most recent return or in the period of time between when he was hit in the hand and tonight, that more than 10 days elapsed,” Hahn said. “We were trying to maximize his availability.”

OK let's give him the benefit of the doubt here but how does that explain not putting on the IL after the wrist injury when he jammed it on the steal attempt vs. Detroit? Yet he was used twice simply as a pinch runner. Just my opinion but it seems the Sox have completely misdiagnosed and screwed up this entire situation and are trying to make excuses.

• Like 2
  • Hawk 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Hahn on why Robert wasn't put on the IL:

“We did not place him on the IL because I don’t think at any point, either prior to his most recent return or in the period of time between when he was hit in the hand and tonight, that more than 10 days elapsed,” Hahn said. “We were trying to maximize his availability.”

OK let's give him the benefit of the doubt here but how does that explain not putting on the IL after the wrist injury when he jammed it on the steal attempt vs. Detroit? Yet he was used twice simply as a pinch runner. Just my opinion but it seems the Sox have completely misdiagnosed and screwed up this entire situation and are trying to make excuses.

They (LaRussa) punted a minimum of 10 games (probably closer to 15) by "resting guys to stay fresh"/unplayable lineups. They so miscalculated this season that they were left in late August to then try to win at all costs. Their handling of Robert was horribly naive and borderline malpractice. He's going to be useless the last 5 weeks of the season because they didn't bite the bullet and IL him after the initial injury in Detroit. This falls on Hahn for not supplementing this roster the last 1 1/2 years with ML talent. He needs to go. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JoeC said:

The only possible defense to the team’s handling of the Robert situation is if he actually has an injury requiring surgery that he is choosing to try to fight through.

Even then, it’s naively optimistic at best

I wouldn't be surprised if he has some sort of wrist surgery in the off season.

15 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

How did this thread fall to page 2?

"Obviously, AJ has the ability to help us in right field."

- Rick Hahn

I'll say it again, some of the first words out of Hahn's mouth in two weeks will be blaming injuries and a shortened spring training (as if all teams didn't have significant injuries and have spring training shortened by two weeks)

Bottom line for the White Sox, no accountability anywhere, anyplace for failure, ineptness, dysfunction and incompetence. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I'll say it again, some of the first words out of Hahn's mouth in two weeks will be blaming injuries and a shortened spring training (as if all teams didn't have significant injuries and have spring training shortened by two weeks)

Bottom line for the White Sox, no accountability anywhere, anyplace for failure, ineptness, dysfunction and incompetence. 

Not a single media person will challenge him or ask follow-up questions at the press conference beyond a meek "Rick, I know you and the club faced a challenging season, but what do you wish would you have done differently?"

Rick will respond with "Nobody is more disappointed at how this season finished than I am. You always think and wished you could have done more; for Jerry, for the team, and most importantly for the fans who support us at the ballpark. I am certainly motivated to work hard this offseason to improve the ballclub." I don't think he'll have the gall to mention "multi-championships" unless Jerry already extended him beyond 2023 (It's possible Jerry he extended Hahn and or Tony after this 2021 season)

I still think Hahn will either return as GM, or be promoted and have an internal candidate promoted to GM. Tony will be named "special advisor" if he doesn't want to (or physically can't) return. They will sacrifice a few coaches and staff, trade / release a few players, hope they skirt the Brian Ball lawsuit, and also hope they don't lose significant season ticket holders.

As breezy as the final score makes it seem like this victory was, the journey to clinch the tiebreaker was quite the opposite. It was a stereotypical win for the Guardians: Sacrifice flies, an RBI infield single and multiple comebacks.

"They're a smooth team,” Pollock said. “They really haven't made huge mistakes the whole year. … I think we fought hard, some mistakes, but it's not like we came out flat. Guys were ready to play today and we just lost."

12 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Dayton Moore fired in KC.  Interesting name if we were considering a change.

Yeah I'd rather take Hahn than Moore. But I also don't think Hahn should keep his job. Avila and Moore both got the boot after disappointing seasons, but I think the Sox were far more disappointing than either of those teams when you compare the results to the pre-season expectations. 

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Yeah I'd rather take Hahn than Moore. But I also don't think Hahn should keep his job. Avila and Moore both got the boot after disappointing seasons, but I think the Sox were far more disappointing than either of those teams when you compare the results to the pre-season expectations. 

Not saying the Sox should go after Moore, but can you explain why you rather take Hahn over Moore?

Moore finished with two American League Pennants and one World Series Championship and fell one game short of a second, in a very small market and small payrolls, stuck at 15th post WS and 23rd today.

I've been a Hahn supporter in the past, but he's had his chance.  No issues with launching him into the sun, but KW has to go too if you're going to do that.

Honestly, the entire FO and coaching staff should be replaced.  But I will start with a fresh coaching staff, and be pleasantly surprised if any major FO changes are made.