Fire Rick Hahn

Chicago White Sox

16 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Wouldn't the Stadium deal be discussed between the ISFA and not the White Sox.

I am not naïve to think that JR doesn't have his hands in it but the ISFA would be the people arranging that deal.  I could be wrong and maybe the White Sox do make money off of that aspect. It certainly is a sweetheart deal for ole Jerry.

And I think they were just basically taking over what was left of the US Cellular deal.

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

Wouldn't the Stadium deal be discussed between the ISFA and not the White Sox.

I am not naïve to think that JR doesn't have his hands in it but the ISFA would be the people arranging that deal.  I could be wrong and maybe the White Sox do make money off of that aspect. It certainly is a sweetheart deal for ole Jerry.

I have no definitive information on this yet anyway but I'm guessing while the ISFA has a say in things the Sox have the deciding opinion since they are the only client who uses the facility. I do know for example that when the Cubs were thinking about a complete renovation about the time the concrete started falling it was speculated that they could play their games in the Sox facility during the remodel.

JR said no stopping that idea before it started so obviously he has a lot of say, maybe the only say in these type matters.

On 10/7/2022 at 8:08 PM, reiks12 said:

Sucks to watch Cleveland fans celebrate a great win and matching Hahn's Championship dynasty playoff total in their first game

Cleveland front office good … 

… we have Rick Hahn 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Cleveland's front office IS good, but Soxtalk would not be happy if our FO operated like Cleveland's.  The Soxtalk hive mind wants an AJ Preller, whether he's ultimately successful or not.

Sure, who wouldn't want five playoff victories, Top 6-8 attendance, and doing part of that without one of the better players in baseball...including three victories over 100+ win teams. 

I don't agree with the 67% historical likelihood of their winning the series after a 1-1 split on the road, but that stadium will be rocking. 

Most importantly, you had an owner willing to buy into his GM's vision rather than the owner limiting or controlling that GM because he didn't 100% trust his baseball instincts. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Cleveland's front office IS good, but Soxtalk would not be happy if our FO operated like Cleveland's.  The Soxtalk hive mind wants an AJ Preller, whether he's ultimately successful or not.

Not I.  I'll take the Guardians front office with the Sox budget. 

I'd love to have Preller's skills in identifying, evaluating and developing young talent; but as for his trading...dare I suggest that it is kind  of Hahnish.

Edited by GreenSox

oh my god I would be so absolutely fine if we operated like the guardians but keep in mind, we do not get extra first round picks and additional intl budget, so that's why you do need to look to the few teams who are not top lux spenders but not getting buoyed by the league. I'll continue to point out the Braves as one to emulate.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Not I.  I'll take the Guardians front office with the Sox budget. 

I'd love to have Preller's skills in identifying, evaluating and developing young talent; but as for his trading...dare I suggest that it is kind  of Hahnish.

Preller strikes me as more KW-ish in his trading. They're not all bad, they're not all good, but he is always swinging for the fences on whatever deal he can make. 

Hahn-ish is targeting mid-level guys, paying prices for them that everyone is happy to pay at the time because they say it's a small price to pay or a great deal, and then having it implode because the guy you got back underperforms and/or the guy you sent out turns into an MVP candidate. And then usually you look at the stats for them and the circumstances and you can pretty readily see what was missed beforehand. 

51 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

This is a bogus random Twitter guy but it would be so Jerry to attach an anchor to a moveable asset to clear payroll limiting the return.

That would be Hahn managing Jerry's budget:  sell low on 2 young players to bring back a slightly above average older veteran.  
I also wonder where the "elsewhere" is that "good pitching" resides.

20 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Again, if they don't want to pay him, they non-tender him.

Obviously the idea that they have to dump the contract is silly but in terms of a non-tender being the move, I disagree.  

I think most here would vote that Lucas is worth his arb number.   If that is the case, in the event the Sox disagree, you'd think he would have some value to one of the other 20+ clubs that will spend at least 10 million on starting pitching this offseason.  

The slight control and value that the QO process offers is what seals the deal for me.

Edited by GREEDY

59 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Obviously the idea that they have to dump the contract is silly but in terms of a non-tender being the move, I disagree.  

I think most here would vote that Lucas is worth his arb number.   If that is the case, in the event the Sox disagree, you'd think he would have some value to one of the other 20+ clubs that will spend at least 10 million on starting pitching this offseason.  

The slight control and value that the QO process offers is what seals the deal for me.

The only ways that statement makes sense is:

1. The White Sox are idiots and don’t understand the price of pitching.

2. What they really mean is they’ve thought about moving him and know he has some value, but they don’t want a minor player for him so they’re thinking about tying him to another guy whose value they diminished, Vaughn, to get something bigger.

2 hours ago, GREEDY said:

I would just suggest that if the Sox pick up the option with the intent to trade him that they not announce to the world this time that they want to trade him.  I realize that Giolito, in contrast to KImbrel, is actually worth the option; but announcing the intent to trade immediately reduces the trade value.  
Picking up Kimbrel's option was bad enough, but the public pronouncement, plus signing relievers before trading him, made the situation far worse.

22 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The only ways that statement makes sense is:

1. The White Sox are idiots and don’t understand the price of pitching.

2. What they really mean is they’ve thought about moving him and know he has some value, but they don’t want a minor player for him so they’re thinking about tying him to another guy whose value they diminished, Vaughn, to get something bigger.

I'm not defending the fake insider or the dumb fake trade rumor.  

I was addressing the idea that he should be non-tendered if not returning.

I believe that Giolito is worth more than his arb number and shouldn't be non-tendered even in the event the Sox don't plan to keep him. 

Edited by GREEDY

19 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

The difference between winner's and loser's.

Tatis >  Shields

Machado > Jon Jay and Yonder Alonso

Harper > Dallas Keuchel and Yasmani Grandal 

Wheeler > Lance Lynn 

Rodon > Velasquez, Kelly, Diekman, and Graveman

Cleveland's defense > White Sox playing first baseman in the outfield

The most inexcusable (vs. just bang head on the wall infuriating) on the list right now are Machado, Harper and Rodon.

Tatis was the lottery ticket from a stupid trade that struck gold. They offered Wheeler more money, so nothing they could have done.

But they tried to friends and family Machado, didn't court Harper as hard, and the Rodon situation is just fucking stupid.

I keep picturing this year's team with Harper in right and Rodon as the #2. That was perfectly realistic, but Jerry has to "win" every contract.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Quin said:

The most inexcusable (vs. just bang head on the wall infuriating) on the list right now are Machado, Harper and Rodon.

Tatis was the lottery ticket from a stupid trade that struck gold. They offered Wheeler more money, so nothing they could have done.

But they tried to friends and family Machado, didn't court Harper as hard, and the Rodon situation is just fucking stupid.

I keep picturing this year's team with Harper in right and Rodon as the #2. That was perfectly realistic, but Jerry has to "win" every contract.

If Moncada didn't have all of his offensive talent stolen by Covid, we might not even be pining for Machado right now either.  Harper and Rodon though could have carried this team to the top of the AL Central and have them fighting for a spot in the ALCS.  The stupid and shortsighted White Sox Way haunts them yet again.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Quin said:

Don't forget the 3 moves we did make in Kelly, Graveman, and Diekman that are on the 2023 books at 21 million instead of Rodon who signed for 2 years at 22.  Hindsight of course because Rodon didn't have the best injury history but we need to start developing relievers instead of buying over the hill chokers.