Fire Rick Hahn

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If Hahn did his job and tried to improve the team at the deadline instead of sabotaging the season he would have more money to spend this year.  They certainly wouldn't have won the division but at least they could have made it more competitive and come closer to the attendance projections and Reindorf wouldn't have "lost" so much money.  You reap what you sow, Rick. 

I was actually thinking the opposite.

If Rick Hahn had reason to think a payroll cut was possible, it is outright criminal mismanagement that he didn’t sell off last deadline.

Abreu, Cueto, Lopez, Graveman were all absolutely moveable. They needed to move McGuire, but they didn’t need to take on money in the process.

If they had traded away all those guys, they would have saved roughly $10 million last season and have a payroll $15 million lower right now. 

On top of that, those trades should have brought back like 6 players. Presumably some of them would be in the lower minors, but if you got back a Pilkington level starter, a guy who could slot into the bullpen along with Lambert with an option remaining, or a rotation player in the outfield, the funds could be targeted way more effectively. No Clevinger, one more swingman in the pen, and a backup OF somewhere and now I have $25 million free to spend on a starting LF.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I was actually thinking the opposite.

If Rick Hahn had reason to think a payroll cut was possible, it is outright criminal mismanagement that he didn’t sell off last deadline.

Abreu, Cueto, Lopez, Graveman were all absolutely moveable. They needed to move McGuire, but they didn’t need to take on money in the process.

If they had traded away all those guys, they would have saved roughly $10 million last season and have a payroll $15 million lower right now. 

On top of that, those trades should have brought back like 6 players. Presumably some of them would be in the lower minors, but if you got back a Pilkington level starter, a guy who could slot into the bullpen along with Lambert with an option remaining, or a rotation player in the outfield, the funds could be targeted way more effectively. No Clevinger, one more swingman in the pen, and a backup OF somewhere and now I have $25 million free to spend on a starting LF.

The White Sox were 2 GB on the central and 2.5 GB on the wild card on deadline day.  There was a 0% chance they were trading any of those guys.  

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

That strategy clears you money for Nimmo. 

It also punts a chances to make the playoffs, which is quite literally the whole point of this thing.  The Sox were never selling last July.  Its not even worth discussing. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Tony said:

I'm never one to stand in the way of a good Hahn nut-kicking, because he absolutely deserves it, but it's not "all" his fault. 

If Rick was operating with a different owner, say Steve Cohen...Harper is probably here. They seemingly can always get that seat at the table, but when a contract needs to be signed, I'm not putting that all on Rick. 

But, the bigger point is they all need to go. They've failed as a collective. Jerry, Rick, Kenny, and down the list. It's a bad organization. 

I go back to - it is still his mess. Unless he was told one thing and JR acted completely different. The reality is JR gave him guidelines, you need to figure out how to build the best possible club with those guidelines and build a strategy around it and operate to it. 

It is like blaming the A's front office failures on the GM.  The A's will have a hard time having a sustainable club - but they know what they need to do and thus have built a structure that works for them and largley has them contend. Rays - same thing.  Cardinals - the same.  

It is different - if you are Dodgers or Red Sox - that is a whole nother question and you build a strategy accordingly knowing what you are going to spend, your availability, etc.  What Hahn did and how he framed / got this team boxed in, is entirely his own doing.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Based on a reasonable consensus of "fire-able" offenses listed here, I think at least 80% of the GMs in baseball should be fired. 

There are only 4 GMs in all of baseball who have been in their jobs since before 2014. 3 of them have world series titles. 87% of GMs last 8 years or less on average. The only ones who have lasted longer have been really good or...well. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/longest-tenured-mlb-general-managers

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am just going to say it out loud.  If the Sox are going to waste yet another off season with half-assed moves, I would rather they just start selling and act like it.  Pick a lane.  Either you are contenders, or you aren't.

100% agree.  I actually believe our core guys will improve a ton under Grifol, but you can’t bank on that alone making us a playoff team next year, especially not after losing our best hitter.  Either tap into our prospect cupboard and acquire impact talent or start selling off pieces.  Can’t half-ass this s%*# like the Sox love to do under Reinsdorf.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% agree.  I actually believe our core guys will improve a ton under Grifol, but you can’t bank on that alone making us a playoff team next year, especially not after losing our best hitter.  Either tap into our prospect cupboard and acquire impact talent or start selling off pieces.  Can’t half-ass this s%*# like the Sox love to do under Reinsdorf.

Maybe it wins you the AL Central.  But with the top of baseball getting better, title contention is a whole other level.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Maybe it wins you the AL Central.  But with the top of baseball getting better, title contention is a whole other level.

That's true, but if somehow Giolito returned to form, Cease remains what he is, and Kopech and Lynn are healthy, a playoff opponent might have a better team, but might have a hard time winning

The problem is IMO, that is what the White Sox have always banked on instead of trying to build the beat roster possible.  Something that I thought they said they were going to change.

59 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am just going to say it out loud.  If the Sox are going to waste yet another off season with half-assed moves, I would rather they just start selling and act like it.  Pick a lane.  Either you are contenders, or you aren't.

Another tank job is completely and totally out of the question. The Sox will stay in the middle lane of the highway driving an even 65mph. They are a staus quo organization.