7/24 Games

BamaDoc

Barons win. Colas finishes 3-3, 2HR, a single and a walk.  Now hitting .458 with a 1.417 OPS at AA.  He's been on fire ever since, according to Barkett, he made a slight swing adjustment. Is it possible, and I really don't want to get my hopes up, that the Sox minor league hitting coaches are actually pretty good?  They helped Sosa make a leap and Colas has clearly gotten better as the year has gone on.  

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

IColas is and will be special, Ive said that ever since before we signed him.  But Soto > Colas, it's just a fact.  

Sure he is, but the inputs aren't equal.  It would cost 4 Colas' to get Soto for his 2.5 years.  And in another couple of years the Sox would look like the Nats, but without a Soto to trade.  And beyond that, he would absorb 25% of the Sox payroll.  Rick Hahn can't put a team out there without gaping holes as is; how's he going to do with with 25% less payroll room and little young talent?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Barons win. Colas finishes 3-3, 2HR, a single and a walk.  Now hitting .458 with a 1.417 OPS at AA.  He's been on fire ever since, according to Barkett, he made a slight swing adjustment. Is it possible, and I really don't want to get my hopes up, that the Sox minor league hitting coaches are actually pretty good?  They helped Sosa make a leap and Colas has clearly gotten better as the year has gone on.  

I think they finally have a top down approach for hitting development and have also gotten more modern.  Seems like for a stretch the onus was on the player to figure things out themselves or proactively seek help from their hitting coach.  I think the function under Barkett & Johansen is much more proactive.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Idk man but the first thought should not be "I can't believe we gave stuff up for Soto" it should be "holy fuck we got Soto."

I'd be interested to go back and see which prospects people didn't want to trade for Miguel Cabrera. There's enough team control left with Soto where it's almost impossible to overpay for him.

17 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I'd be interested to go back and see which prospects people didn't want to trade for Miguel Cabrera. There's enough team control left with Soto where it's almost impossible to overpay for him.

IIRC most of us wanted them to use Gio and Fields and not Danks

Why so many posts about Soto? People realize we are talking about a franchise that’s never signed a player to a 100 million $ contract right? The idea of Soto to the Sox while JR is alive is laughable

The REAL discussion I’d rather see is why is Gavin Sheets in the majors and Colas is in AA? There’s 0 doubt in my mind that Colas is better equipped to succeed in the majors at this point, or any point, in time. 

• Like 1

Let’s see if Colas can keep this going for more than a month before proclaiming him a major league star. Until a few weeks ago he was only doing good as an older player in one of our best offensive environments.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bmags said:

Let’s see if Colas can keep this going for more than a month before proclaiming him a major league star. Until a few weeks ago he was only doing good as an older player in one of our best offensive environments.

Has nothing to do with thinking Colas is a major league star. But has everything to do with bad GM + TLR seemingly putting 2 non major league talents in the lineup every night (Luery, Sheets, Engel, McGuire). Hell, I’d be willing to take a gamble on Cespdes at this point too. We know what we have doesn’t work

30 minutes ago, bmags said:

Fair enough, but the bar to be an offensive and defensive upgrade in right for the Sox is horribly low. If he's a 1 WAR player, I think that's an improvement. 

Also, I don't believe he's going to keep an OPS of 1.400 going for a month. There will be regression.

3 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Fair enough, but the bar to be an offensive and defensive upgrade in right for the Sox is horribly low. If he's a 1 WAR player, I think that's an improvement. 

Also, I don't believe he's going to keep an OPS of 1.400 going for a month. There will be regression.

So OPS of 1.075 then?

Fine.

Savage.

7 hours ago, wegner said:

Making great strides maybe similar to the year Robert had before getting called to the majors?

I keep saying if he keeps it up there's a chance to get him a months worth of AB's in Charlotte this year and a legit shot for an early call up next year. Would hate to see him traded for Happ.Reynolds yes but not Happ. Happ is having a better year but it's a break out year. Reynolds has been more consistent and could have a good 2nd half. Plus  Reynolds has 2 more years of eligibility than Happ does.

• Thanks 1

• bmags unpinned this topic