Trade Rumors Catch-all

Chicago White Sox

Bell makes so much sense. If there was a bat I'd overspend on it'd be him. Fills the Switch/lefty and corner OF. It's the kind of move that actually puts you on par with some of the best teams. Getting a guy like Naquin ... who is exactly who i think we get ... doesn't put you over the top. It just gives a better chance at winning the ALDS. 

Same things when talking about pitchers. Quintana just fills innings like VV does in my opinion. The idea of someone like that is really just to eat innings to allow guys like Kopech and Cease to be fresh for the playoffs. If you're not going out there and getting a top arm, then whats the real point? Davis Martin and VV can do that job almost as well. 

2 minutes ago, he gone. said:

Bell makes so much sense. If there was a bat I'd overspend on it'd be him. Fills the Switch/lefty and corner OF. It's the kind of move that actually puts you on par with some of the best teams. Getting a guy like Naquin ... who is exactly who i think we get ... doesn't put you over the top. It just gives a better chance at winning the ALDS. 

Same things when talking about pitchers. Quintana just fills innings like VV does in my opinion. The idea of someone like that is really just to eat innings to allow guys like Kopech and Cease to be fresh for the playoffs. If you're not going out there and getting a top arm, then whats the real point? Davis Martin and VV can do that job almost as well. 

Bell is probably worse than Sheets in RF. Realistically, he's a DH. 

• Like 1

Just now, CentralChamps21 said:

Well sure but he'd easily be one of the four best DH on the Sox.

I'm sure Bell and Happ will require similar trade packages. Happ might have one more year of control but Bell is easily the 2nd best bat available for trade after Soto. I'd rather they get a real outfielder instead of another corner infielder posing as an OFer. 

Just now, chw42 said:

I'm sure Bell and Happ will require similar trade packages. Happ might have one more year of control but Bell is easily the 2nd best bat available for trade after Soto. I'd rather they get a real outfielder instead of another corner infielder posing as an OFer. 

I think Happ is the best realistic case scenario for this trade deadline. He'd be a perfect fit on this roster and the Sox have the pieces to get a deal done.

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

I'm sure Bell and Happ will require similar trade packages. Happ might have one more year of control but Bell is easily the 2nd best bat available for trade after Soto. I'd rather they get a real outfielder instead of another DH posing as an OFer. 

FIFY

8 minutes ago, he gone. said:

Bell makes so much sense. If there was a bat I'd overspend on it'd be him. Fills the Switch/lefty and corner OF. It's the kind of move that actually puts you on par with some of the best teams.

He is a DH/1B, not an OF. He is 30 years old, and has 20 OF starts in his career. 

Naquin is not a good RF, but he is lightyears ahead of the RFers Hahn and Tony have played the past two seasons. He is an OK stop gap for two months, but the team really needs a legitimate starting RF and 2B if they want to do more than pretending to compete in 2023.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What do you think a hypothetical Happ trade would look like?

Crochet is probably our best chip for him. I wouldn't want to trade Vera, Montgomery, or Colas for him. If the cost really is that high I'd rather they get Naquin. 

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What do you think a hypothetical Happ trade would look like?

Crochet as the headliner would be my guess. I think trading him to a rebuilding club that can afford to be patient developing him as a starter makes the most sense. Possibly another arm like Thompson or Kelley, and then a 3rd piece in the ~20 range on the Sox org list.

Hahn & Hoyer clearly have a good trading relationship which is part of why I think a deal is possible.

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Also, would Happ basically replace Sheets on the roster and become the every day RF?  Could he then become the every day second baseman next year?

The fact he can play 2B & OF is interesting, but how is he defense at 2B and RF specifically?  I haven’t seen him much in the field, but advanced metrics don’t appear to love his defense.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The fact he can play 2B & OF is interesting, but how is he defense at 2B and RF specifically?  I haven’t seen him much in the field, but advanced metrics don’t appear to love his defense.

DRS and UZR both have him as plus in LF, slightly below average but still perfectly acceptable in CF and RF. Just watching Cubs games I've never thought him to be a bad defender or anything like that.

The fact there's a pretty large sample from 2020 & 2021 of him playing basically an average CF has me thinking he could make the transition to RF without any issue. Heyward & now Suzuki have prevented him from playing there regularly on the Cubs.

Edited by maxjusttyped
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They probably shouldn't play him at 2B unless they really have to. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

Also, would Happ basically replace Sheets on the roster and become the every day RF?  Could he then become the every day second baseman next year?

Happ is basically a LF hasn't played much RF in his career (none this year and a little last year) but he's the only one logistically who could play RF since he's played CF a tiny bit this year and 56 games in 2021.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Happ is basically a LF hasn't played much RF in his career (none this year and a little last year) but he's the only one logistically who could play RF since he's played CF a tiny bit this year and 56 games in 2021.

I think that has more to do with Heyward & Suzuki being on the roster than it being an indication Happ couldn't handle playing RF. This doesn't strike me as an AJ Pollock situation or anything like that.