Trade Rumors Catch-all

Chicago White Sox

I don’t know that I’m advocating this but given that we expect Hahn to shop in the sales bin, I was thinking about Laureano.

He does not help in the RH or power dept (though he’s fine there), but he could kick Robert to RF. Given the timidity Robert is playing center with, having some more actual outfielders and a real CF could help.

Hes still, even after PEDs, an above average offensive player. And some of his profile seems like he’s a buy low candidate to me.

Put it in the plan E bin.

56 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don’t know that I’m advocating this but given that we expect Hahn to shop in the sales bin, I was thinking about Laureano.

He does not help in the RH or power dept (though he’s fine there), but he could kick Robert to RF. Given the timidity Robert is playing center with, having some more actual outfielders and a real CF could help.

Hes still, even after PEDs, an above average offensive player. And some of his profile seems like he’s a buy low candidate to me.

Put it in the plan E bin.

I like Laureano . Love the speed ,the defense but he's no help at all against RHP unfortunately, just more of the same.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Realistic White Sox trade targets:

Joc Pederson

Gavin Lux

Cody Bellinger

Bryan Reynolds

Feel free to add to this…

I'm not sure if the Giants are gonna be sellers. Maybe if they don't win any games in the next week. 

But it would be so White Sox to trade for Joc when they could have had him for $7 million in the off-season. 

37 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Realistic White Sox trade targets:

Joc Pederson

Gavin Lux

Cody Bellinger

Bryan Reynolds

Feel free to add to this…

No way Dodgers trade Lux or Bellinger this season.  Reynolds would cost the Sox way more in terms of prospects than anyone here would be ok with.  I think Joc or LaStella are more realistic, and I will throw out Blake Snell as a possibility (just a guess)

• Like 1

With the added wildcard teams this year it will be even more of a seller's market. Hahn will freak out at the cost of any legit LF bat/RF answer. He'll add two meh BP arms and give away three good/solid prospects further gutting our farm system. He's done nothing at the deadline in his career to earn any belief he'll get this one right. 

4 hours ago, fathom said:

No way Dodgers trade Lux or Bellinger this season.  Reynolds would cost the Sox way more in terms of prospects than anyone here would be ok with.  I think Joc or LaStella are more realistic, and I will throw out Blake Snell as a possibility (just a guess)

I think people have been way light on what a return for Reynolds would look like. He was a 6 win player last year and his bat has been excellent again this year. I don't see how the Sox could land him without including Montgomery (and more) which is something people would lose their minds over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not advocating for this, but trading for David Peralta feels very on brand for the Sox. He hasn't played RF regularly in 5 years, but that didn't stop them from acquiring Pollock. He'll come very cheap and he's hit ~fine against RHP this year. Maybe having the Tony connection from AZ is something that could push a deal over the top.

• Hawk 1

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I like Laureano . Love the speed ,the defense but he's no help at all against RHP unfortunately, just more of the same.

He's league avg against RHP. I know that doesn't really help, but I'm putting him in the positivity box because I'm pretty certain/concerned that whomever they get in the "helps against LHP" or "power" bucket will come with equally difficult downsides ("defense").

5 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

With the added wildcard teams this year it will be even more of a seller's market. Hahn will freak out at the cost of any legit LF bat/RF answer. He'll add two meh BP arms and give away three good/solid prospects further gutting our farm system. He's done nothing at the deadline in his career to earn any belief he'll get this one right. 

I mean hell when was the last no doubter deadline win? Charles Johnson?

Quintana was early and you can give it out if people want. Peavy was not added for that year. 

Youk was awesome in the first month and a half but cratered in Sept.

Even when it came to selling, most of hahns worst work was at deadline. Rutherford, Cordell, Medeiros, Gillaspie, traded our INTL bonus pool money to shed Nate Jones.

2005 is a 'win' because of our sweet dear Blum. 

OK, Peavy deal no. 2, looking back that was actually an incredible deal in mlb talent (squandered) in getting Montas, Avi Garcia.

7 hours ago, fathom said:

He just completely shut down the Mets.

Mackenzie Gore is on fumes and Nick Martinez just fills a back end spot.  Doubt they would make this deal very easily.  Plus Manaea and Musgrove are FA’s.

Their main trade targets are all outfielders/hitters…maybe one more bullpen arm.

2 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

I'm not advocating for this, but trading for David Peralta feels very on brand for the Sox. He hasn't played RF regularly in 5 years, but that didn't stop them from acquiring Pollock. He'll come very cheap and he's hit ~fine against RHP this year. Maybe having the Tony connection from AZ is something that could push a deal over the top.

corngrats

https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-13578.html

Concerned White Sox Fan
10:54
Who looks better in black and white: David Peralta or Tyler Naquin?

Mark P
10:54
Peralta would be my pick, if I'm Chicago.
  • Hawk 1
  • TLR 1

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I mean hell when was the last no doubter deadline win? Charles Johnson?

Quintana was early and you can give it out if people want. Peavy was not added for that year. 

Youk was awesome in the first month and a half but cratered in Sept.

Even when it came to selling, most of hahns worst work was at deadline. Rutherford, Cordell, Medeiros, Gillaspie, traded our INTL bonus pool money to shed Nate Jones.

2005 is a 'win' because of our sweet dear Blum. 

OK, Peavy deal no. 2, looking back that was actually an incredible deal in mlb talent (squandered) in getting Montas, Avi Garcia.

Tepera last year.

15 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

He is a DH/1B, not an OF. He is 30 years old, and has 20 OF starts in his career. 

Naquin is not a good RF, but he is lightyears ahead of the RFers Hahn and Tony have played the past two seasons. He is an OK stop gap for two months, but the team really needs a legitimate starting RF and 2B if they want to do more than pretending to compete in 2023.

That's a good point.. I just looked up his D stats ... I take back my post. Even if his bat is special and he brings a Lefty/Switch to the table I can't have an OF with Bell AND Eloy. 

We're for sure getting Adam Engel 2.0 Lefty arent we in Naquin?

• Like 1

I am like many of you that don’t want to trade top prospects for rentals. I also think this team hasn’t played well enough to earn that trust of going all in. However a report today Oakland is willing to trade Sean Murphy. He could help us present but also for next three years. He shouldn’t be cheap prospect wise but think he could help shave down Grandals games behind the plate this year and next.  Thoughts on if this makes sense and thoughts on what it’d take to acquire? 

The first and only target really needs to be Bryan Reynolds. He by far has a higher wRC+ from the left side compared to any other potentially available outfielder, and by outfielder I mean actual outfielder and not DH playing outfield.

If the Sox have to overpay to get him, so be it. Nobody in the minors should be untouchable for Reynolds.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Backwash07 said:

I am like many of you that don’t want to trade top prospects for rentals. I also think this team hasn’t played well enough to earn that trust of going all in. However a report today Oakland is willing to trade Sean Murphy. He could help us present but also for next three years. He shouldn’t be cheap prospect wise but think he could help shave down Grandals games behind the plate this year and next.  Thoughts on if this makes sense and thoughts on what it’d take to acquire? 

I don't think we need any more catchers lol. I think we're gonna have to run with Grandal. 

1 minute ago, CentralChamps21 said:

The first and only target really needs to be Bryan Reynolds. He by far has a higher wRC+ from the left side compared to any other potentially available outfielder, and by outfielder I mean actual outfielder and not DH playing outfield.

If the Sox have to overpay to get him, so be it. Nobody in the minors should be untouchable for Reynolds.

Gotta hope the Pirates had a scout in Birmingham yesterday. 

17 hours ago, wegner said:

Your 2022-2024 White Sox....we don't need no stinkin defense.

I think Giolito and Lynn must be griping about it.  If it weren't Cueto's mystery success I'd be very convinced that the defense is the main culprit as Cease gets almost half of his outs via the strikeout.

The long (ish) term impact of defensive plays being made or not made has to be one of the last areas that analytics haven't really been able to truly pigeon hole.

IF the Sox are adding, I truly hope it is an above average defender at both RF and 2B.  

Edited by GREEDY
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Backwash07 said:

would also prevent the Guardians from getting Sean Murphy.

And what will happen is the As take back Carlos Perez and him and Langeliers become the best catching duo in history.

4 hours ago, bmags said:

He's league avg against RHP. I know that doesn't really help, but I'm putting him in the positivity box because I'm pretty certain/concerned that whomever they get in the "helps against LHP" or "power" bucket will come with equally difficult downsides ("defense").

You mean "helps against RHP" being since that's where the Sox are having problems and LHH would help that. Guys like Happ or Reynolds aren't great fielders. Happ is probably the better fielder but hasn't played that much RF with the Cubs because of Heyward and Suzuki. Reynolds looks below average in CF but was above average in RF in 2019 which was the last time he played RF and it was only 241 innings but he did has a positive OAA +2 so i think those 2 are fine for RF.

Laureano has a wRC+ of 95 so a bit below average against RHP and his batting average OBP and slugging aren't so hot.

Reynolds is a switch hitter 132 wRC+ against RHP. 114 vs LHP

Happ also a switch hitter is 115 wRC+ against RHP and 159 vs. LHP . So Happ doesn't really fit the bill that well against RHP even though he is 15% above league average which is  better than what we have.. Problem is Reynolds would be hard to pry away from the Pirates.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You mean "helps against RHP" being since that's where the Sox are having problems and LHH would help that. Guys like Happ or Reynolds aren't great fielders. Happ is probably the better fielder but hasn't played that much RF with the Cubs because of Heyward and Suzuki. Reynolds looks below average in CF but was above average in RF in 2019 which was the last time he played RF and it was only 241 innings but he did has a positive OAA +2 so i think those 2 are fine for RF.

Laureano has a wRC+ of 95 so a bit below average against RHP and his batting average OBP and slugging aren't so hot.

Reynolds is a switch hitter 132 wRC+ against RHP. 114 vs LHP

Happ also a switch hitter is 115 wRC+ against RHP and 159 vs. LHP . So Happ doesn't really fit the bill that well against RHP even though he is 15% above league average which is  better than what we have.. Problem is Reynolds would be hard to pry away from the Pirates.

correct, helps against RHP not left. But considering:

Eloy vs. RHP - 84 wRC+
Engel vs. RHP - 93 wRC+
Sheets vs. RHP - 96 wRC+
Pollock vs. RHP - 57 wRC+ 

And considering Engel/Sheets are backups, he doesn't hurt us. I do think Happ is a perfectly fine addition, but I just don't see reynolds as likely. If I was Cherington I'd rather wait until the offseason and see if he has a nice 2nd half.

34 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Happ isn't bad but you're right, Reynolds should be the target but the Pirates may not want to move him yet. Happ is above average against RHP offensively but he is better against LHP at least this year. In his career he's been better against RHP but this is his a career year for him so who knows what he did to reverse his career splits.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Happ isn't bad but you're right, Reynolds should be the target but the Pirates may not want to move him yet. Happ is above average against RHP offensively but he is better against LHP at least this year. In his career he's been better against RHP but this is his a career year for him so who knows what he did to reverse his career splits.

You make the Pirates an offer that changes their mind.

I'm not against Happ. I'd get both, but Reynolds is the lefty bat you can stick behind Abreu in the lineup that makes RH pitchers think twice about pitching around him.