Trade Rumors Catch-all

Chicago White Sox

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

correct, helps against RHP not left. But considering:

Eloy vs. RHP - 84 wRC+
Engel vs. RHP - 93 wRC+
Sheets vs. RHP - 96 wRC+
Pollock vs. RHP - 57 wRC+ 

And considering Engel/Sheets are backups, he doesn't hurt us. I do think Happ is a perfectly fine addition, but I just don't see reynolds as likely. If I was Cherington I'd rather wait until the offseason and see if he has a nice 2nd half.

If Eloy's healthy Laureano wouldnt take PT away from him except as a defensive replacement. Pollock being so bad against RHP is a mystery and he could bounce back in the 2nd half but not counting on it. I'm not against Laureano as a decent fit on the Sox just not at the trade deadline. We do need a difference maker from the left side who can also field and that pretty much leaves us with Happ and Reynolds, Soto can't field but that's likely not happening any way.

Only other possibility is Colas as a super duper long shot. The only reason I bring him up is because he did have a cup of coffee with the JBL Softbank Hawks and he did pretty good in 2019 in a small sample . That is their major leagues so if Colas was upset about not being promoted earlier it might be because he was still in the low minors when he had made it to the Japan Major Leagues when he was 20 years old and 8 yrs younger than league average. It's now 3 years later and earlier in A+ he was adjusting to yet another new culture and shaking off the rust from a couple years of no baseball.

Laureano as a piece in a 3 way trade wouldn't be a terrible idea though.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

18 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

You make the Pirates an offer that changes their mind.

I'm not against Happ. I'd get both, but Reynolds is the lefty bat you can stick behind Abreu in the lineup that makes RH pitchers think twice about pitching around him.

HA I'm not against getting both but Reynolds plus Martin Perez from the Rangers I'd like more since there still might be a potential matchup against the Astros and they are just so good now and Perez has snuffed them cold in both his starts against them this year.

But you'd probably have to trade Eloy or Vaughn to empty out the OF a bit if you got Happ and Reynolds. Sheets also traded or sent back to the minors.

Reynolds won't be a free agent until 2026. He would almost certainly require too much in prospect capital. Nevertheless, if they do trade for him, they might as well include Colas, as he would be blocked by Reynolds for the next 3 years. How much more than Colas, would have to be included, is the question.

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Reynolds won't be a free agent until 2026. He would almost certainly require too much in prospect capital. Nevertheless, if they do trade for him, they might as well include Colas, as he would be blocked by Reynolds for the next 3 years. How much more than Colas, would have to be included, is the question.

That's what I said don't trade Colas for Happ but consider it for Reynolds. Colas is looking like a beast right now after that game last night.

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's what I said don't trade Colas for Happ but consider it for Reynolds. Colas is looking like a beast right now after that game last night.

Who else would likely have to be included, to entice the Pirates?

10 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Montgomery and more likely 

18 hours ago, chw42 said:

Crochet is probably our best chip for him. I wouldn't want to trade Vera, Montgomery, or Colas for him. If the cost really is that high I'd rather they get Naquin. 

We don't need Happ! This 2022 season is his only good year in the majors thus far and had a .241 lifetime BA entering the season. He is only hitting .279 with 9 HR's. That is not worth giving away valuable prospects.

Giving away Crochet a first round pick from two years ago with his potential and not seeing what he could do after Tommy John surgery is just absurd. 

I do agree we with you we should not give away Vera, Montgomery and Colas for anyone. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

We don't need Happ! This 2022 season is his only good year in the majors thus far and had a .241 lifetime BA entering the season. He is only hitting .279 with 9 HR's. That is not worth giving away valuable prospects.

Giving away Crochet a first round pick from two years ago with his potential and not seeing what he could do after Tommy John surgery is just absurd. 

I do agree we with you we should not give away Vera, Montgomery and Colas for anyone. 

You're wrong about Happ. Yes, this is a career year but he had a good rookie season and a good short season in 2020. He has a career .805 OPS which is pretty good and .343 OBP which is also good. Eloy's career OPS is .809 and OBP is just .312. plus Happ plays all the time and is a much better fielder and a switch hitter who can hit lefties and righties.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You're wrong about Happ. Yes, this is a career year but he had a good rookie season and a good short season in 2020. He has a career .805 OPS which is pretty good and .343 OBP which is also good.

First of all I'm not wrong about Happ. All my long time die hard Cubs friends seem to be happy to get rid of Happ. Secondly, that was not my point of my post. I said to give up Crochet, Vera, Colas or Montgomery would be stupid to give up for Happ. If you can get Happ for some other less important prospects then fine.

Edited by The Kids Can Play

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

Would Colas, Thompson and Dalquist be enough for the Pirates to part with Reynolds? I personally doubt it. 

No not even close. Jared Kelley is the one young pitcher that looks like he's emerging as decent among the Sox crop of HS pitchers they got. Pirate would probably insist of both Montgomery and Colas and if the Sox agreed it would hurt no matter who else they threw in.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

First of all I'm not wrong about Happ. All my long time die hard Cubs friends seem to be happy to get rid of Happ. Secondly, that was not my point of my post. I said to give up Crochet, Vera, Colas or Montgomery would be stupid to give up for Happ. If you can get Happ for some other less important prospects then fine.

Stats don't lie my friend there's nothing wrong with Happs career OPS and OBP no matter what your friends say. But yea u don't give the Cubs Montgomery or Colas. Crochet we can part with because he's just technically a reliever whose chances at becoming a starter are still 2 years down the road if ever. Cubs would want more for 2 years of Happ than just Crochet even if they did want him.

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No not even close. Jared Kelley is the one young pitcher that looks like he's emerging as decent among the Sox crop of HS pitchers they got. Pirate would probably insist of both Montgomery and Colas and if the Sox agreed it would hurt no matter who else they threw in.

If that would be the case, I'd pass. How about you? I would rather look for a rental to fill the need for a LH bat, and hope that Colas will be the long term answer in RF.

Edited by Lillian

18 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If that would be the case, I'd pass. How about you?

That's a tough one. The Sox window is rapidly closing and you have to weigh how good the Sox might be next year without Cueto and Lynn another year older. Also have to figure the window will be closed by the time Montgomery gets here. Allin all Colas and Montgomery although both look great right not are still in their Sox infancy in the minors . Either could fizzle out although most don't think that will happen.

I think if the Sox can pry away Martin Perez from the Rangers who will undoubtedly get a decent amount of good offers for his rental services and still have decent enough pieces to get Reynolds I'd consider one of Colas and Montgomery and try to include Lenyn Sosa but unfortunately he's struggling a bit in AAA after destroying AA. If it can be done giving up Montgomery and Colas I might say yes but the other pieces would have to be in the bottom half of the Sox Top 30 prospects not named Davis Martin.

Sheets, Crochet and Burger should also be tradable if the Pirates have any interest in them.

8 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

I think people have been way light on what a return for Reynolds would look like. He was a 6 win player last year and his bat has been excellent again this year. I don't see how the Sox could land him without including Montgomery (and more) which is something people would lose their minds over.

Completely agree.

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

The first and only target really needs to be Bryan Reynolds. He by far has a higher wRC+ from the left side compared to any other potentially available outfielder, and by outfielder I mean actual outfielder and not DH playing outfield.

If the Sox have to overpay to get him, so be it. Nobody in the minors should be untouchable for Reynolds.

The ask for Reynolds last year was Vaughn and Kopech. Could that probably have been negotiated down to something like Vaughn and Crochet and prospects, sure, but he's way better/more valuable than people think. You aren't getting him for anything headlined by a (White Sox) minor leaguer

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Completely agree.

The ask for Reynolds last year was Vaughn and Kopech. Could that probably have been negotiated down to something like Vaughn and Crochet and prospects, sure, but he's way better/more valuable than people think. You aren't getting him for anything headlined by a (White Sox) minor leaguer

I think you can get him for Montgomery and Colas ++ whoever the pluses might be. Those 2 are a pretty damn strong package and a lot of Sox fans would go nuts against including Colas and Montgomery . I wouldn't love it but gotta give to get and the need for a LHH and decent enough fielder of Reynolds quality is nearly impossible to find.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think you can get him for Montgomery and Colas ++ whoever the pluses might be. Those 2 are a pretty damn strong package and a lot of Sox fans would go nuts against including Colas and Montgomery . I wouldn't love it but gotta give to get and the need for a LHH and decent enough fielder of Reynolds quality is nearly impossible to find.

Admittedly I haven't been checking the board as often as I normally do, but it feels like the Oscar Colas hype is getting out of control. His start in AA is definitely encouraging, but I still don't think he has the juice that Montgomery or a younger prospect might have

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

I don't think we need any more catchers lol. I think we're gonna have to run with Grandal. 

Grandal was only able to catch one game over the four game series, and 19 innings during his 12 game minor league rehab assignment.

He's started 31 of the 96 games the Sox played this season (caught in parts of 4 more).

There is no evidence Grandal can start at catcher on even the split just under 50% basis he covered the position during his first two seasons (108 appearances at catcher over 222 games). It's not the top priority, but they need an adequate starting catcher once they are able to field a contending team.

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

Admittedly I haven't been checking the board as often as I normally do, but it feels like the Oscar Colas hype is getting out of control. His start in AA is definitely encouraging, but I still don't think he has the juice that Montgomery or a younger prospect might have

Well i wouldn't characterize it as out of control. I mean yea people are saying don't trade Montgomery , Colas and Vera for anyone but I don't believe that myself.

I do love Colas and Montgomery though. Colas is hard to read because he hasn't been playing much baseball the last few years and how well he's doing now is pretty impressive considering he wasn't getting much hype like draft picks get because scouts see those guys all the time. The only thing we had to go on was his very limited time in Japanese baseball 3 yrs ago when he was 20 and made it to their major leagues. It was probably a little unsettling for Colas to start so low in the minors but maybe now in AA he's happier .

The fact that he's not yet in the Top 100 prospects is only reflective of how little those doing the evaluating have seen him. I think anyone scouting him now has to be very impressed.

28 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Stats don't lie my friend there's nothing wrong with Happs career OPS and OBP no matter what your friends say. But yea u don't give the Cubs Montgomery or Colas. Crochet we can part with because he's just technically a reliever whose chances at becoming a starter are still 2 years down the road if ever. Cubs would want more for 2 years of Happ than just Crochet even if they did want him.

Happ is not some superstar you seem to project him as and that he will be the reason to save our season. That is actually comical if you believe that. He most definitely isn't worth giving up Crochet for others in addition to Crochet. Additionally, your analysis of Crochet is so wrong. He is not technically a reliever. He was only used as a reliever in his rookie season due to not being able to go through the minors because of Covid. In time he can definitely be solid starter for us. Again until we find out how he can bounce back from Tommy John surgery, it would be foolish to give Crochet up, since starters are the most valuable pieces to a championship team. Plus even if he isn't a starter for two years, he will not be wasted in the bullpen.

If Crochet after TJ surgery can eventually get back to his upper 90's fastball and especially since he has a above average nasty slider, is why trading him away is just ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Well i wouldn't characterize it as out of control. I mean yea people are saying don't trade Montgomery , Colas and Vera for anyone but I don't believe that myself.

I do love Colas and Montgomery though. Colas is hard to read because he hasn't been playing much baseball the last few years and how well he's doing now is pretty impressive considering he wasn't getting much hype like draft picks get because scouts see those guys all the time. The only thing we had to go on was his very limited time in Japanese baseball 3 yrs ago when he was 20 and made it to their major leagues. It was probably a little unsettling for Colas to start so low in the minors but maybe now in AA he's happier .

The fact that he's not yet in the Top 100 prospects is only reflective of how little those doing the evaluating have seen him. I think anyone scouting him now has to be very impressed.

Plus a 23 yr old in A ball isn’t something to exactly drool over. At least AA is a much more age appropriate level for him.