Trade Rumors Catch-all

Chicago White Sox

18 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I don't know if it makes a whole lot of sense for them to trade Skubal. His peripherals are excellent despite his recent struggles and he still has 4 more years of control after this year. Do the Tigers not think they can compete in the next 4 years? I know this year has been a setback, but I don't think they need to start from scratch again. 

Yea, their FO is probably more screwed up than ours.
He's a good pitcher.   A really nice pull from the draft.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This guy is legit fraud FYI and likely a Soxtalk member, perhaps even the same clown who ran the Al’s Cheesy Beef account.

I know who it is. It's just fun to pick on him. Orlando at it again. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

That's hard to answer.  If there are teams out there that view him as "one of the best players in baseball," then obviously not. 
But I look at things differently than most on this board do (obviously).  I look at our top 5 prospects as as valuable to us as the Dodgers top 5 are to them.  I realize that ours  aren't as valuable to other teams as the Dodgers' would be, but they are as valuable to us.   
It's like 1K to someone with a net worth of 10K may be as valuable as 100K to someone with a net worth of 1 Million.  Now to an outside party they aren't as valuable.
So while to another team 3 of our top 5 may be worthy of Reynolds, whereas 3 of the Dodgers top 5 may be worthy of Soto, from our standpoint, we're paying the same price for Reynolds as the Dodgers are paying for Soto.
Thus I prefer free agents and rents (especially if we're willing to honestly extend if we end up liking the player) until we get this farm system all squared away.  

That’s fine, but the point is offering those guys is not something that PIT is going to accept for Reynolds.  You can have your own view on whether it’s worth trading top prospects for established players, but it’s demand-supply that drive market prices and your offer doesn’t reflect the market.

Ian Happ, OF, Cubs
Free agent after 2023

Happ turns 28 in August and won’t be a free agent until after 2023, so the Cubs don’t have to trade him -- and they might not. But with Chicago still far away from contention, it might consider it, because Happ, who made his first All-Star team this year, would be an intriguing trade piece. With a 126 OPS+, he’s doing his usual “be average or above” routine that he always does – he’s never been worse than a 102 OPS+ or better than a 131 OPS+, but the shape of it is a little different this year.

That’s because Happ, who once ran unacceptably high strikeout rates -- 34% of the time in his first two seasons in 2017-18, and 29% as recently as last year -- has cut those whiffs down to 21%, more or less league average. Yet where he was once running very high hard-hit rates, that’s down to league average as well. It’s less of a "loud" package as it once was, and more of a solidly competent one.

If that doesn’t sound terribly exciting, it’s still valuable, because the outfield trade market -- Soto aside -- is thin, and the switch–hitting Happ, a top-30 slugger among outfielders, might be the best one traded.

Potential fits: Guardians, Padres, Braves, Brewers, White Sox, Yankees if they move Joey Gallo

source: mlb.com

18 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Ian Happ, OF, Cubs
Free agent after 2023

Happ turns 28 in August and won’t be a free agent until after 2023, so the Cubs don’t have to trade him -- and they might not. But with Chicago still far away from contention, it might consider it, because Happ, who made his first All-Star team this year, would be an intriguing trade piece. With a 126 OPS+, he’s doing his usual “be average or above” routine that he always does – he’s never been worse than a 102 OPS+ or better than a 131 OPS+, but the shape of it is a little different this year.

That’s because Happ, who once ran unacceptably high strikeout rates -- 34% of the time in his first two seasons in 2017-18, and 29% as recently as last year -- has cut those whiffs down to 21%, more or less league average. Yet where he was once running very high hard-hit rates, that’s down to league average as well. It’s less of a "loud" package as it once was, and more of a solidly competent one.

If that doesn’t sound terribly exciting, it’s still valuable, because the outfield trade market -- Soto aside -- is thin, and the switch–hitting Happ, a top-30 slugger among outfielders, might be the best one traded.

Potential fits: Guardians, Padres, Braves, Brewers, White Sox, Yankees if they move Joey Gallo

source: mlb.com

So he subscribed to the Menechino school of hitting  lowered his hard hit rate and K's , hits less HRS now. Happ is coming here lol !

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/07/marlins-open-to-trade-offers-on-pablo-lopez-looking-to-upgrade-offense.html

I proposed last October the Sox working with Miami to close an Eloy + Mercedes (both of whom Kim was rumored to want) for Lopez trade as one of my proposed 2022-23 offseason trades in October.

That ship has sailed as Lopez is having a great season, Eloy is mired in injuries once again and Yermin and his .820 OPS was given away to the Giants. The White Sox would be 65-32, despite Tony, if they were able to complete my suggested moves.

15 hours ago, chw42 said:

Jazz Chisholm could be on the market 

Joey Wendle would be a good get and I like Jesus Sanchez. Of course if you get Chisholm probably don't need Wendle but he's still a nice piece 1.6 fWar in only 49 games LH,  plays 2nd, SS and 3rd hits RHP well. Stuck with Leury but could be a starter at 2nd base . He is currently healthy and I'd expect him to be moved.

Sanchez , 24 is 6'3 220 ,11HR's Barely hitting .200 OBP terrible, K's nearly 27 % , Good OF defensively for his size , chases too many pitches. But very talented. Raked in the minors but looks like once he reached AA it took him a while to figure out the upper levels but he eventually found his way. He's probably at that stage now in MLB it'll just be that he's AAAA player but too early to give up on him. Had a 55 FV so he's got tools.

Fangraphs rated 55 prospects who were traded at the 2019 trade deadline and had Chisholm (55FV) 2nd and Sanchez 3rd commenting : "Corner outfield prospect with plus-plus bat speed and a track record of performance. Plate discipline is below average, creating risk he falls short of offensive potential."

There's also JJ Bleday 24 , LH OF ,2019 1st round pick 4th overall pick. Just 40 FV. 55 on Raw Power and 55 Field .

Steven Okert is a controllable LH RP. 2.14 ERA but 4.37 FIP 30.7 K % , 11.4 BB%. Obviously would cost more than someone like Matt Moore.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

Very weird lead up to the deadline, I’m used to a lot of different rumors in the bloodstream and people getting all excited about things that probably will not happen but at least you can point to some sort of rumor.  Now it’s basically “where does Soto go and other things might happen I dunno” 

2nd base : Joey Wendle 32 ,LH, hits RHP well. Could become the strong side of a platoon with Harrison . Good fielder probably a notch below Harrison. Can play 3rd and SS too. Has also played OF but not lately. If Leury has any options left send him down. Makes bench Stronger.

OF : If the options of Gallo or Happ aren't what you are looking for. Then there's Jesus Sanchez 24, LH, of the Marlins who I just previewed above who basically gives you the same production of Gallo but still has very nice upside if he can ever learn to take some pitches. Not a FA till 2028. If the Sox are going to give up Vera ,I'd rather it be for Sanchez but Happ is still the best option for the immediate future.

Relief Pitcher: Matt Moore LH seems like a nice get. Shouldn't cost much.

Starting pitching: Martin Perez 31, LH ,Having a great season. Probably lots of teams in on him ,10-2 record, 2.59 ERA, 3.12 FIP, 2.6 fWar, Astro's killer. Lower hanging fruit is Quintana but never let him face a lineup the 3rd time through.

All in all Wendle and Happ would be nice upgrades for the offense and bench from the left side and right side too because Happ is a SH. Get's rid of Leury and Sheets from the 26.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Mariners: Jarred Kelenic, OF
Under club control through at least 2028
Kelenic has struggled mightily during his stints with Seattle, and while nobody is ready to give up on the Mariners’ former No. 1 prospect (and No. 4 overall in MLB), a change of scenery might be good for the 23-year-old. Mariners GM Jerry Dipoto is one of the more creative executives in the game, so anything is possible between now and Aug. 2.

33 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

2nd base : Joey Wendle 32 ,LH, hits RHP well. Could become the strong side of a platoon with Harrison . Good fielder probably a notch below Harrison. Can play 3rd and SS too. Has also played OF but not lately. If Leury has any options left send him down. Makes bench Stronger.

OF : If the options of Gallo or Happ aren't what you are looking for. Then there's Jesus Sanchez 24, LH, of the Marlins who I just previewed above who basically gives you the same production of Gallo but still has very nice upside if he can ever learn to take some pitches. Not a FA till 2028. If the Sox are going to give up Vera ,I'd rather it be for Sanchez but Happ is still the best option for the immediate future.

Relief Pitcher: Matt Moore LH seems like a nice get. Shouldn't cost much.

Starting pitching: Martin Perez 31, LH ,Having a great season. Probably lots of teams in on him ,10-2 record, 2.59 ERA, 3.12 FIP, 2.6 fWar, Astro's killer. Lower hanging fruit is Quintana but never let him face a lineup the 3rd time through.

All in all Wendle and Happ would be nice upgrades for the offense and bench from the left side and right side too because Happ is a SH. Get's rid of Leury and Sheets from the 26.

I don’t think you can option Leury at this point in his career.  If true, he basically handcuffs the roster and makes it challenging to address both RF & 2B because we already have eleven other guys who have secured spots (Pito, Big Energy, Anderson, Yoan, Eloy, Vaughn, Robert, Pollock, Engel, Grandal, backup catcher).  You’re basically forced to go with a five man bench or remove one of the other guys from the roster.  Honestly, I think we only see one LH bat added and they go with what we have at the other spot.