Trade Rumors Catch-all

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Bowden has us connected to Montas & Happ in his last article.  If true, my guess is Hahn is floating Crochet, Ramos, and/or Popeye for a difference maker and just not getting much excitement.

Since neither is traded yet and hardly anyone else for that matter, not much excitement about many offers apparently.

19 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

We have two months to see how it plays out. I'd wager Cueto, Cease and Kopech will finish with higher ERAs, and Giolito, Lynn and Kelly will finish with lower ERAs (vs. 7/31 for both).

It's always a safe bet that your best pitchers will get a little bit worse and your worst pitchers will get a little bit better, but xFIP is just saying that having a low HR/FB rate is luck and completely ignoring exit velocity and launch angle data. It's the pitching equivalent of saying that the Sox hitters are unlucky that they keep flying out to the warning track when the reality is the reason they aren't hitting homes is they aren't pulling the ball. They got used to being able to go oppo for homers and haven't adjusted to the new ball.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Johnny has pitched well and was a great pickup, but will likely regress as his ERA is above his expected Fielding Independent Pitchiing.

Carlos Rodon fWAR 4.2 (#1 across The MLB) ERA 3.00 xFIP 3.06

Expected ERA Regression:

• Johnny Cueto fWAR 0.8 ERA 2.86 xFIP 4.33
  • Dylan Cease fWAR 3.3 ERA 2.01 xFIP 3.02
  • Michael Kopech fWAR 0.9 ERA 3.16 xFIP 4.96
  • Jimmy Lambert fWAR 0.1 ERA 2.13 xFIP 4.99

Expected ERA Improvement:

• Lucas Giolito fWAR 0.7 ERA 5.14 xFIP 3.75
  • Lance Lynn fWAR 0.2 ERA 6.42 xFIP 3.66
  • Joe Kelly fWAR 0.2 ERA 5.91 xFIP 3.18
  • Josh Harrison fWAR (0.1) ERA 9.00 xFIP 6.59 :)

Meh. Similar ERA and WHIP for Cueto and Rodon this season. There’s been no discernible difference in their results this season to date for stats that matter, considering you don’t win baseball games based on who strikes out the most batters.

Another big slugger for RF is the SH Anthony Santander who crushes RHP , 158 wRC+. He doesn't fit the Orioles style because he's a hack in RF though he does have a nice arm. He does lead the Orioles in just about every offensive category but they have a guy waiting in the wings to take over RF. Santander isn't a FA til 2025 . I've been mentioning him for about a year.

If you are going to run Gavin Sheets out there every day, Santander is a big upgrade. Orioles probably would ask a lot because of the fine year he is having but ultimately they probably want to dump him because of his defense. Only 1.3 fWar despite some good offensive numbers.

He does play the OF though nearly every day. (11 games as DH) so right now he is still worth more to other teams as an OF than he will be to the Orioles as a future DH.

An observation about Gallo: One of his strengths has always been his ability to draw a lot of walks. In Texas, he always hit in the heart of the order and was the Rangers' most serious home run threat. That resulted in opposing pitchers working very carefully to him, which afforded him the opportunity to be selective and just take his bases on balls. The Yankees have batted him in the lower third of the order, which is understandable, with their power packed lineup. He has even had 98 plate appearances batting 9TH. That might have forced him to be a little less selective and swing at more pitches, that were not in his wheel house. If the Sox acquire him, I hope that they would stick him in the middle of the lineup vs RHP, in front of Eloy. Perhaps something like this:

SS Anderson,  CF Robert, 1B Abreu, RF Gallo, DH Eloy, 3B Moncada,  LF Vaughn, C Grandal, 2B Harrison.

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

An observation about Gallo: One of his strengths has always been his ability to draw a lot of walks. In Texas, he always hit in the heart of the order and was the Rangers' most serious home run threat. That resulted in opposing pitchers working very carefully to him, which afforded him the opportunity to be selective and just take his bases on balls. The Yankees have batted him in the lower third of the order, which is understandable, with their power packed lineup. He has even had 98 plate appearances batting 9TH. That might have forced him to be a little less selective and swing at more pitches, that were not in his wheel house. If the Sox acquire him, I hope that they would stick him in the middle of the lineup vs RHP, in front of Eloy. Perhaps something like this:

SS Anderson,  CF Robert, 1B Abreu, RF Gallo, DH Eloy, 3B Moncada,  LF Vaughn, C Grandal, 2B Harrison.

Gallo was hitting in the middle of the lineup after they acquired him last year. Then he sucked a lot and got moved down. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Pretty pathetic Rangers, Orioles, Guardians, Twins, Rays and Mariners all part of trade rumors but Sox just have their proverbial seat the table but soon to be cast aside to the kiddie version.  Or relegated, if you prefer futbol terminology.

Its funny cause you'd probably rip them if they sat pat, rip them if they make a big move, rip them if they made a small move.  Let's be real, no matter what the Sox do, you'll rip it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Bowden has us connected to Montas & Happ in his last article.  If true, my guess is Hahn is floating Crochet, Ramos, and/or Popeye for a difference maker and just not getting much excitement.

I just don't think this team should be prioritizing Montas, or SP in general.  A good left handed OF and RP is a far, far, far bigger need than a 6th above average SP. 

14 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Gallo was hitting in the middle of the lineup after they acquired him last year. Then he sucked a lot and got moved down. 

I don't have the split stats between the Rangers and Yankees, respectively for last year. However, I do note that he hit 31 homers last year, while batting either 4TH, or 5TH, in 356 at bats. Wouldn't we all take that production?

Edited by Lillian

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I don't have the split stats between the Rangers and Yankees, respectively for last year. However, I do note that he hit 31 homers last year, while batting either 4TH, or 5TH, in 356 at bats. Wouldn't we all take that production?

Sure, but I don't know if the fix is as simple as taking him out of NY. That should help, but Gallo has been prone to long cold streaks before. It's just the kind of player he is.

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I just don't think this team should be prioritizing Montas, or SP in general.  A good left handed OF and RP is a far, far, far bigger need than a 6th above average SP. 

Unless you can get a starter who can help your playoff rotation, I just wouldn’t overspend on a SP.  I like both Montas & Mahle, but would only explore a trade built around Crochet and Ramos.

No doubt there is a need there given the lack of pitching in the upper minors, but we’re not going to do much in October unless Giolito & Lynn return to form.

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Sure, but I don't know if the fix is as simple as taking him out of NY. That should help, but Gallo has been prone to long cold streaks before. It's just the kind of player he is.

Well, he would fit right in with this roster. The Sox have several guys who have been "cold" most of the year. No one has been able to sustain a real hot streak, especially with power. Jose has done the best, but even he is not hitting the long ball, as he has in years past.

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Meh. Similar ERA and WHIP for Cueto and Rodon this season. There’s been no discernible difference in their results this season to date for stats that matter, considering you don’t win baseball games based on who strikes out the most batters.

Except when you have a bad defense behind you, at which point strikeouts are more valuable than letting hitters put the ball in play.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Unless you can get a starter who can help your playoff rotation, I just wouldn’t overspend on a SP.  I like both Montas & Mahle, but would only explore a trade built around Crochet and Ramos.

No doubt there is a need there given the lack of pitching in the upper minors, but we’re not going to do much in October unless Giolito & Lynn return to form.

Right.  I'd rather bet on that than giving up the pieces to acquire Montas/Mahle, unless it comes cheaper than we all expect. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I can’t see Sox getting Gallo because his approach goes against everything Menechino stands for

I cannot  for the life of me believe the that the FO is still buying into whatever the fuck it is Menechino is preaching.  Its impossible that they're as dumb as they look at times.  For whatever reason they're clearly going to let Frank keep his job thru this season, but he's on the first plane out of Chicago thereafter.  No way he's not fired, so I cannot imagine Hahn and KW give two fucks about his opinion.