Smoking some Colas cool-aid

HaroldSouthside

8 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Him being the every day RF at some point early next season doesn't strike me as unrealistic at all. Maybe it's optimistic to think he won't hit a roadblock between now and then, but I definitely think it's a possibility.

if TLR is the manager I have a feeling there will be a number of obstacles thrown in colas' way.

• TLR 1

14 hours ago, HaroldSouthside said:

Am I getting too excited? Can Oscar Colas be our right fielder next season? Or am I smoking something and drinking the cool aid?

Excitement and the White Sox go hand in hand. Seriously, he's playing like a real prospect. If the team falls out of contention,

he should be called up and play every day. One reason for the improvement since the promotion might be the more polished

pitching in AA. He played in the Japanese majors and is probably used to seeing guys throw more strikes than A ball hurlers.

AA is a big test and he's passing with flying colors so far. Let's see how he does when he hits a slump - can he pull out of it quickly, or will he get stuck? Also, I'd like to see how he does in AAA, too, facing all those junkballers and AAAA pitchers.

I'd say Colas is up for serious consideration by next All Star break, unless he forces the issue. Problem there is Sosa forced the issue and LaRussa put a stop to that. I would love to jettison Leury and have Sosa and Harrison split time at 2B, plus maybe Sosa can fill in at 3B/SS/LF like Leury, but not terrible at it.

I woulda gone for "should we just go ahead and award the Oscar to..."

and then you could have started with "the chicago white sox"

Then by the 2nd paragraph it'd be clear you were discussing Oscar Colas. 

It's great posting.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I mean it's great that he's hit the AA ground running, but it's been a whopping 6 games. Maybe pump the brakes at least a tiny bit.

Thank you.  I don't know when Colas turned into a cult hero, but it has been a wild couple of days topped off with people not being willing to trade him for Juan Freaking Soto.

46 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Thank you.  I don't know when Colas turned into a cult hero, but it has been a wild couple of days topped off with people not being willing to trade him for Juan Freaking Soto.

That's like...three dudes.

12 minutes ago, Quin said:

That's like...three dudes.

I'm kind of half there, because A) they won't sign him long-term so everyone leaves in 3 years and we're rebuilding again but likely without Sale/Quintana/Eaton level trades to kickstart it, and B) Soto is going to come here and hit .180 with 15 homers/162 because that's what happens with this team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, almagest said:

I'm kind of half there, because A) they won't sign him long-term so everyone leaves in 3 years and we're rebuilding again but likely without Sale/Quintana/Eaton level trades to kickstart it, and B) Soto is going to come here and hit .180 with 15 homers/162 because that's what happens with this team.

As the great scene in band of brothers once said “the only way you’ll get through this is to admit you’re already dead”

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

As the great scene in band of brothers once said “the only way you’ll get through this is to admit you’re already dead”

No I'm going to drink heavily and hold onto the hope that Montgomery, Colas and Vera represent the next wave of Braves-like dominance for the Sox.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, almagest said:

No I'm going to drink heavily and hold onto the hope that Montgomery, Colas and Vera represent the next wave of Braves-like dominance for the Sox.

Don't worry Tony won't start them anyway because 38 year old Leury will need to play.

• TLR 1

3 hours ago, oldsox said:

29 GMs are salivating over him, and they all know Hahn's number.

Boy do I have great news for you.

Looking back over the past few seasons, the Sox have generally held onto their top prospects. I'm counting the Top 10 + Steele Walker, since he was in most top 10s outside of Pipeline.

The 2017 list: Back when Alec Hansen and Carson Fulmer had value.

The 2018 list: Collins gone (four years later), eh. Alec Hansen stocks go up!

The 2019 list: Madrigal traded two years later when shown he can't stay healthy (traded for wrong guy), Dunning trade was a win-win but now Lynn's knee is spooky. Walker trade was dumb. Alec Hansen stock goes down. Basabe stock up.

The 2020 list: Everyone's been covered that got traded. Basabe trade value (and presence with the Sox temporarily) gone.

The 2021 list: Top 10 still in system.

I know you live in fear of the next Tatis getting traded away from the system, but Elijah isn't hitting for shit right now.

And obviously this is during the rebuild and Hahn's buying record is way more suspect than his selling record.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

49 minutes ago, Quin said:

Boy do I have great news for you.

Looking back over the past few seasons, the Sox have generally held onto their top prospects. I'm counting the Top 10 + Steele Walker, since he was in most top 10s outside of Pipeline.

The 2017 list: Back when Alec Hansen and Carson Fulmer had value.

The 2018 list: Collins gone (four years later), eh. Alec Hansen stocks go up!

The 2019 list: Madrigal traded two years later when shown he can't stay healthy (traded for wrong guy), Dunning trade was a win-win but now Lynn's knee is spooky. Walker trade was dumb. Alec Hansen stock goes down. Basabe stock up.

The 2020 list: Everyone's been covered that got traded. Basabe trade value (and presence with the Sox temporarily) gone.

The 2021 list: Top 10 still in system.

I know you live in fear of the next Tatis getting traded away from the system, but Elijah isn't hitting for shit right now.

And obviously this is during the rebuild and Hahn's buying record is way more suspect than his selling record.

Thanks for your free psychoanalysis.  Actually, I was indifferent about all the players you mentioned above.  In the last ten years or so, the only prospects I really feared losing were Tim Anderson and Luis Robert.  I knew Robert was safe, because we paid so much for him.  Now I put Colas and Montgomery in there, too.  Regarding the Tatis giveaway, I had not yet developed that irrational fear, because he hadn't yet played in pro ball.  I just could not understand his inclusion at the time of the Sheilds trade.  It made no sense.  Shields was a broken down pitcher at the time, so why would we give up Tatis.  It never entered my mind.  Giving up Colas and/or Montgomery has entered my mind, so I need help.

4 hours ago, Johno said:

If Colas was a Yankee prospect, would he be receiving more praise…….. meaning would he be a top 75 prospect?

people will say no, but I 100% believe yes.

edit: my case would be the hype that swept up from estevan florial despite being a pretty mid-level prospect.

• Like 1