Smoking some Colas cool-aid

HaroldSouthside

5 hours ago, Johno said:

If Colas was a Yankee prospect, would he be receiving more praise…….. meaning would he be a top 75 prospect?

Prospect rankings were made a few months ago, weren't they?  Before Colas started really mashing? 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

people will say no, but I 100% believe yes.

edit: my case would be the hype that swept up from estevan florial despite being a pretty mid-level prospect.

It makes we wonder if the way we do business hurts our kids trade value with the lack of hype that we really do with our minor league system.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

It makes we wonder if the way we do business hurts our kids trade value with the lack of hype that we really do with our minor league system.

Agreed I think the sox system is somewhere between 20-23, and there is some real upside with the middle infielders. 

Just wondering here.....  As Colas continues to rake, and Hahn continues to get calls about Colas, does he have total authority to trade him at whim, or does he have to bounce it off someone first?

One good thing about the White Sox being a Mickey Mouse organization is that Hahn has no reason to make short-sighted trades in hopes of saving his job because he knows he will never be fired. Any short-sighted trade he makes is just because he's bad at his job.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2022 at 6:46 PM, maxjusttyped said:

Him being the every day RF at some point early next season doesn't strike me as unrealistic at all. Maybe it's optimistic to think he won't hit a roadblock between now and then, but I definitely think it's a possibility.

I said this a few days ago that if he can keep it up through a month or so at AA and then spend the rest of the season in AAA which finishes Sept 28. Then make an early season debut with the Sox.

Then I looked at the Sox schedule. If we assume the Sox will still be in the hunt, starting Sept 20th the Sox have 3 games with the Guardians, Tigers, Twins , Padres and then Twins again to finish off the season. Now I'm thinking maybe call him up before Sept 20th to get him acclimated for a week like the off day Sept 12th for a 2 game series against the Rockies at home and the Tigers on the road. Then we hit the stretch run from Sept 20th to the end of the season. Would be great to have him in the lineup against all those Guardian RHP along with our trade deadline acquisitions Wendle, Happ and maybe revitalized Moncada and Grandal.

Instead of McGuire, Leury, Sheets and bad Moncada and Grandal now we get Colas, Happ, Wendle and the Moncada, Grandal good versions. Now that's a lot better lineup balance,OF defense and much better offensive team.

If the Sox manage to get Happ he can be moved back to LF. If Robert is OK he'll be in CF and just let Colas start in RF.

Long odds of that happening but ... one can dream.

On 7/26/2022 at 8:35 AM, Johno said:

If Colas was a Yankee prospect, would he be receiving more praise…….. meaning would he be a top 75 prospect?

Yes he would , everything in MLB is built around the east coast teams and TV Networks are all based in NY or Connecticut. ESPN and MLB Network salivate over all things Yankees and Red Sox. Rightfully so with the Yankees with their history of winning and Judge's 38 HR's so far which is 5 more than the top 3 Sox HR hitters . Our 4th and 5th HR hitters are guys who will hardly play down the stretch run if the Sox make some trades (Burger 8, Sheet's 7)

29 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I said this a few days ago that if he can keep it up through a month or so at AA and then spend the rest of the season in AAA which finishes Sept 28. Then make an early season debut with the Sox.

Thumbs-up to this!

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Half joking here, but if Colas keeps this up, Sox gonna Sox and bring him up aren't they?

Honestly, he's probably the best all around option for RF in the organization. 

When I use the term Sox Gonna Sox it usually means something stupid and negative and I don't think bringing up Colas fits in the Sox Gonna Sox stupid and negative category.

As I outlined above if they somehow manage to get Happ and Wendle and Moncada and Grandal rebound, adding Colas transforms the Sox into a much better team against RHP. It's a longshot but if those things happen, my hopes get raised considerably.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

When I use the term Sox Gonna Sox it usually means something stupid and negative and I don't think bringing up Colas fits in the Sox Gonna Sox stupid and negative category.

As I outlined above if they somehow manage to get Happ and Wendle and Moncada and Grandal rebound, adding Colas transforms the Sox into a much better team against RHP. It's a longshot but if those things happening, my hopes get raised considerably.

Moncada already has rebounded and Grandal certainly is looking better than he has at any point this season, albeit he isn't exactly smoking the ball.

But yeah, I mean very few orgs would bring Colas to the bigs this season.  Rushing prospects to the bigs is definitely a "Sox gonna Sox" move, which is what the reference was to.  That being said, I tend to agree, and even noted as such in my post, that Colas is probably the best all around option in RF right now in this org.  The bar to clear isn't high, and it doesn't require us giving us prospects for a short term fix. 

28 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Half joking here, but if Colas keeps this up, Sox gonna Sox and bring him up aren't they?

Honestly, he's probably the best all around option for RF in the organization. 

Is he purely an offensive weapon?  How has his defense looked so far?

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

He is supposedly an average CF and should be a solid defender in the corners.  He's been playing RF since going to AA but was playing primarily CF in WS. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Moncada already has rebounded and Grandal certainly is looking better than he has at any point this season, albeit he isn't exactly smoking the ball.

But yeah, I mean very few orgs would bring Colas to the bigs this season.  Rushing prospects to the bigs is definitely a "Sox gonna Sox" move, which is what the reference was to.  That being said, I tend to agree, and even noted as such in my post, that Colas is probably the best all around option in RF right now in this org.  The bar to clear isn't high, and it doesn't require us giving us prospects for a short term fix. 

I agree Moncada has rebounded but I need a longer sample size but regardless he still has to be in the lineup everyday. I'd like to see Moncada and Grandal rebound to the point they both can match or exceed the HR total of Jake Burger (8).

While some may consider that being rushed. I don't really think of it that way. Colas wasn't your typical player in A ball. He was 23 yrs old and got a cup of coffee in Japan's MLB. Some consider that around AA+ or AAA and that was when he was 20. Once he shook off the rust and got over a wrist injury he took off.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And then Tony will play Leury over him in RF and bat him lead off for good measure 😁

I think we all can agree that this thing really isn't going to be successful until that fucking hag just goes away.  The one positive I can gather from the Sox never getting over the hump this season is that hopefully.....please lord.....TLR goes away.  

42 minutes ago, wegner said:

He also has a gun for an arm. He's really a prototypical high quality offensive and defensive player with 5 tools . Maybe not the speed to make him above average in CF but it does seem like his OF instincts are good. He was in CF in the Future game and made a nice diving catch coming in and going to his left. Also went 1 for 2 with both AB's off LH pitchers and considered Future Stars because they were selected to play in that game. I haven't looked that up and would have to check the box score or find some video to confirm who the pitchers were.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He also has a gun for an arm. He's really a prototypical high quality offensive and defensive player with 5 tools . Maybe not the speed to make him above average in CF but it does seem like his OF instincts are good. He was in CF in the Future game and made a nice diving catch coming in and going to his left. Also went 1 for 2 with both AB's off LH pitchers and considered Future Stars because they were selected to play in that game. I haven't looked that up and would have to check the box score or find some video to confirm who the pitchers were.

Now you have me terrified that Hahn is going to trade him, Cali.

I want to see Colas on the South Side.

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

Now you have me terrified that Hahn is going to trade him, Cali.

I want to see Colas on the South Side.

Well I wasn't against trading him in a Sosa or Reynold's deal but that seems unlikely. Hahn won't give him up for Happ (fingers crossed).

A few days ago I was on the hype train for him being on the Sox early next year after 6 games in AA with the 1.417 OPS . Then he went 0/4 and the next game 4/5 with 2 more HR's to somehow raise that 1.417 OPS to 1.470. Now I'm the engineer on the hype train thinking he should be called up Set.12 if they can find a way to grab Happ and Wendle and Robert's issue isn't long term and if Colas can continue to rake in AA and get some AB's in AAA.

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Well I wasn't against trading him in a Sosa or Reynold's deal but that seems unlikely. Hahn won't give him up for Happ (fingers crossed).

A few days ago I was on the hype train for him being on the Sox early next year after 6 games in AA with the 1.417 OPS . Then he went 0/4 and the next game 4/5 with 2 more HR's to somehow raise that 1.417 OPS to 1.470. Now I'm the engineer on the hype train thinking he should be called up Set.12 if they can find a way to grab Happ and Wendle and Robert's issue isn't long term and if Colas can continue to rake in AA and get some AB's in AAA.

Save me a seat on that train if you don't mind.

• Like 1