Smoking some Colas cool-aid

HaroldSouthside

54 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

What is a realistic timeline for him? Finish the season at AA, start next year at AA, promoted quickly or start 2023 to AAA with a possible May/June callup to the MLB team? (Assuming he's not traded or any injury occurs).

Prolly at least another month and a half in AA and then maybe dip his feet in the water at AAA in Sept so they can say he still needs more work there next spring for service time. 

4 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Prolly at least another month and a half in AA and then maybe dip his feet in the water at AAA in Sept so they can say he still needs more work there next spring for service time. 

If he keeps mashing AA pitching after the hot start, this timeline seems logical.   I don’t think we see him in Chicago before mid April 2023 at the earliest. 

• 2 weeks later...

Braves just brought up a great prospect from AA, Vaughn Grissom, and he hit a homer first time up.  21 years old, 3 years in minors, Braves thought he was ready.  Grissom started season in High A, just like our guy.  11th round pick.  I don't think Braves care about service time issue.

Why not Colas?

8 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Braves just brought up a great prospect from AA, Vaughn Grissom, and he hit a homer first time up.  21 years old, 3 years in minors, Braves thought he was ready.  Grissom started season in High A, just like our guy.  11th round pick.  I don't think Braves care about service time issue.

Why not Colas?

About time Braves find a young, offensive player they can control for a long time 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

24 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Why not Colas?

Any relation to former Brave Marquis Grissom?  But I do think the Sox need to bring a few of these guys up - if nothing else - create a spark and send a message to the hasbeens lining up every day.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Why not Colas?

The Braves brought up their starting CF Michael Harris II earlier this year straight from AA.
But, oh no, we need Pollock.

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

Why not Colas?

Because we aren't going anywhere so why burn a year of service time for nothing. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Because we aren't going anywhere so why burn a year of service time for nothing. 

It's possible they stick him on the roster day 1 to open up next year. If they do that it will look kinda dumb that they didn't bring him up this year. Although I do agree they should just wait until they get the extra year of control next year.

19 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Now is the perfect time. We suck. get him MLB experience now when it doesn't matter. Colas and the kid short stop

should play every game thru September.

I think we can legitimately have three top 100 prospects at year end which will all be earned, not based on draft status.  That would be a huge win for our system since we had zero starting the year.  Mena and Vera also have to have generated some positive buzz.  

• Like 1

Colas on the hot sheet again.

13. Oscar Colas, OF, White Sox

Team: Double-A Birmingham (Southern)

Why He’s Here: .391/.481/.783 (9-for-23), 5 R, 3 HR, 5 RBIs, 3 BB, 9 SO

The Scoop: Since his promotion to Double-A Birmingham Colas has continued to mash Southern League pitching as he hits .353/.439/.694 with nine home runs across 22 games. This week Colas homered in three different games, highlighted by a 106.3 mph home run in the 7th inning of Sunday’s contest. Colas hit seven balls 95+ mph last week, including five balls in play above 100 mph. The Cuban outfielder’s combination of plus-plus power and average contact allow him to navigate upper-level pitching despite a very aggressive approach at the plate. Armed with two plus to plus-plus tools in his power and outfield throwing arm, Colas fits the mold of a corner outfield masher. (GP)

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/hot-sheet-baseballs-20-hottest-prospects-from-the-past-week-81622/

Edited by DirtySox

15 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

I think we can legitimately have three top 100 prospects at year end which will all be earned, not based on draft status.  That would be a huge win for our system since we had zero starting the year.  Mena and Vera also have to have generated some positive buzz.  

Montgomery, Colas, Ramos, Vera, Mena, Sosa, Schultz, and Palette is a pretty satisfying Top 8 considering where we started the year.

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Not many games left, Bob.  Why not play them in all games?

I’ve come around on this. I feel like they’re going to stick him on the roster opening day next year anyway so if they call him up now or opening day next year, we have him until the same year so might as well call him up now.

On 8/11/2022 at 11:10 AM, SoCalChiSox said:

Funny how we have the opposite opinion on burning service time.

If the Sox aren't going anywhere why does service time matter? Are you thinking that in that extra year they will be going somewhere ?

There is a real chance if brought up this year he can be a major contributor for the stretch run of this season and also in the playoffs.

You know the need already for some LH savagery on the Sox. I'd like to see an effort put into winning this year. All the rest of Cola's time the Sox might not even get to the playoffs so what good is Colas going to do on those teams ?

The Sox might go somewhere if Cola's is on the Sox in 2022. Maybe they don't go anywhere with him too but I'd sure like to find out if he can be a difference maker now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1