Off Day Observations: Our team-wide hitting approach is holding us back

chw42

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m curious, but did we all forgot these famous Menechino quotes?  Is anyone really surprised by this team approach given Frank’s view on hitting?

Earl Weaver >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Small ball La Russa

In his book, “Weaver On Strategy,” the legendary skipper lists his “laws” of managing, the fourth of which is, “Your most precious possessions on offense are your 27 outs.” Weaver’s Fifth Law is a corollary: “If you play for one run, that’s all you’ll get.” “I hated playing for one run.” 

(Strong Language - Listener discretion is advised)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

LOL, was he known for profanity laced tirades? This is ridiculous and awesome.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The reporter losing it when he was asking Earl the last question about the tomato plant 🤣

This is one of the BEST posts/threads I have seen ever.  On any site.  With carefully thought out analysis and logic.  Can you get a job with the White Sox?

Any kind of approach shouldn't be a one for all because it doesn't work like that for every hitter.  If you hit it better the other way (a la TA), great look outside and crush it.  If you are better suited pulling it and crushing it (Robert, Eloy Vaughn and probably Pollock), then great look for that in the zone and do it.  With 2 strikes just hit it where it is pitched to get on.  This isn't rocket science....we should be able to come up with plans based on the hitter.  

4 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

This is one of the BEST posts/threads I have seen ever.  On any site.  With carefully thought out analysis and logic.  Can you get a job with the White Sox?

Any kind of approach shouldn't be a one for all because it doesn't work like that for every hitter.  If you hit it better the other way (a la TA), great look outside and crush it.  If you are better suited pulling it and crushing it (Robert, Eloy Vaughn and probably Pollock), then great look for that in the zone and do it.  With 2 strikes just hit it where it is pitched to get on.  This isn't rocket science....we should be able to come up with plans based on the hitter.  

Do we really think Pollock's problem is hitting coach related (he's as experienced a veteran as you get with lots of high profile post-season bats)...or age/regression?

He was a 3 fWAR player last year, this year somewhere between 0.0 and 0.5 I'd guess without looking it up since Sunday.

How many 34 year old veterans would dramatically change their offensive approach to "comply" to a hitting coach/organizational philosophy?

9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Do we really think Pollock's problem is hitting coach related (he's as experienced a veteran as you get with lots of high profile post-season bats)...or age/regression?

He was a 3 fWAR player last year, this year somewhere between 0.0 and 0.5 I'd guess without looking it up since Sunday.

How many 34 year old veterans would dramatically change their offensive approach to "comply" to a hitting coach/organizational philosophy?

To me it looks like Pollock had his child and then realized he didnt want to play pro baseball anymore

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

To me it looks like Pollock had his child and then realized he didnt want to play pro baseball anymore

Well hopefully he still feels that way in the offseason and declines his player option.