Old Sock Drawer, ex Sox player discussion

elrockinMT

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

If he only pitches that many the Sox would be short a starter for the playoffs 

Regular season wins and home field advantage aren’t meaningless. And even if he misses time, that’s not to say that he will miss the playoffs altogether.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Regular season wins and home field advantage aren’t meaningless. And even if he misses time, that’s not to say that he will miss the playoffs altogether.

If it's only 100 innings it will be. That's only 18-20 starts.

13 minutes ago, ptatc said:

My point is that doesn’t indicate he will pitch 100 innings and got hurt for rest of the year and miss the playoffs. Since his debut, there is only 1 season he didn’t pitch in September.

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

My point is that doesn’t indicate he will pitch 100 innings and got hurt for rest of the year and miss the playoffs. Since his debut, there is only 1 season he didn’t pitch in September.

Rest assured The Giants are going to do a lot of load management starting around mid season. They’ll play smart, and he’ll probably be fine 

Just now, Chick Mercedes said:

Rest assured The Giants are going to do a lot of load management starting around mid season. They’ll play smart, and he’ll probably be fine 

The fact that one of the most well run organizations out there gave him 2 years and $26M more than the QO to him tells you something about how dumb this move is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

This can't be accurate.  His missed at least 2 with surgeries.

2 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

They'll do it way before mid season. If he went 7 today I'm guessing he wasn't over 100 pitches. I'm sure someone will tell me if he was.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

You're really going to die on this stupid hill, aren't you? It's just crazy to see a smart person take such a weird position 

1 hour ago, HOFHurt35 said:

So he's still helping the White Sox, and for $0. 

Great. 

Just imagine the Sox facing the Giants in the World Series with Rodon still pitching for the Giants. Then ask yourself "Is Hahn working for the Giants ? "

Why the hell would you ask that question !?! Ok No QO means no draft pick, which means teams would probably have offered Rodon less money ,so the Sox made it easier for any team to sign him for less money ,thereby ,making it harder for the Sox to sign him. Now to stretch this a little bit farther what if the draft pick the Sox might've got from the Giants turns into a really good player  !

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Just imagine the Sox facing the Giants in the World Series with Rodon still pitching for the Giants. Then ask yourself "Is Hahn working for the Giants ? "

Why the hell would you ask that question !?! Ok No QO means no draft pick, which means teams would probably have offered Rodon less money ,so the Sox made it easier for any team to sign him for less money ,thereby ,making it harder for the Sox to sign him. Now to stretch this a little bit farther what if the draft pick the Sox might've got from the Giants turns into a really good player  !

"Still" in the first sentence is the key variable. 

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

"Still" in the first sentence is the key variable. 

I never said it's impossible for him to get hurt. I wouldn't say that about any pitcher or any player. I said "still " because it's the fair thing to say. The rest of what I said about Hahn still applies.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

13 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I never said it's impossible for him to get hurt. I wouldn't say that about any pitcher or any player. I said "still " because it's the fair thing to say. The rest of what I said about Hahn still applies.

I know we disagree on this as we've discussed so I'll just say....

I disagree.

32 minutes ago, Tony said:

You're really going to die on this stupid hill, aren't you? It's just crazy to see a smart person take such a weird position 

To be fair, Ptatc has not even suffered a scratch yet on the hill. It's a long , long season.

Since myself and him have taken up a lot of space discussing this I will say that his position is based on Rodon's injury history and the belief that he has not substantially improved his mechanics.

My position has been that Rodon was worth the risk given that most of the pitchers signed this off season in the Rodon range do not even come close to pitching at the level Rodon did last year .Also that the Sox abused him in his first 18 starts with little regard for the fact that he had barely pitched the previous 2 seasons, which given the advancements in biomechanics and his past injury history, was akin to hitting him with a stick over and over and having no concern whatsoever about him making it through the season.