Old Sock Drawer, ex Sox player discussion

elrockinMT

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yes. Properly managed in a part time DH/LF role, he has an .853 OPS.

And that’s exactly it. Tons of ex-White Sox who seemed to suck for us hang around the bigs when they’re properly used, because their new teams have reels of film on how they shouldn’t be used…and they never make the same mistakes our stupid organization is utterly incapable of learning from. 

• Fire 1

Rodon has given up 10 runs and 3 HR's in the two games after the Allstar break......hummmmm could his arm be tiring like it did last year.  I'll say one thing his teammates don't seem too fond of him.  Granted the bat kick was a freak accident but his teammates had the look of disgust and seemed to be saying "what the fuck asshole"

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Rodon has given up 10 runs and 3 HR's in the two games after the Allstar break......hummmmm could his arm be tiring like it did last year.  I'll say one thing his teammates don't seem too fond of him.  Granted the bat kick was a freak accident but his teammates had the look of disgust and seemed to be saying "what the fuck asshole"

id still take Rodon over Giolito or Lynn right now

• Like 1

Carlos Rodon being angry in the dugout is a big nothing to me. So he kicked a bat... big deal. It's not like he planned on hitting his teammate. And as far as him wearing down, look at the White Sox starting pitching. One guy was so bad that he got DFAed, one has a knee that probably won't ever be 100 percent again and one guy isn't as dominant anymore without the sticky stuff. The White Sox should have absolutely tendered him an offer or extended him. Hell his dominant start at the beginning of the year would have the White Sox over .500 now and I think that's worth something even if he does tire towards the end of the season.

Edited by chetkincaid
  • Like 3
  • Hawk 1

5 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

id still take Rodon over Giolito or Lynn right now

Right now it's easier to say that, but at the time there was uncertainty about his health.  Carlos pitched 132 innings for us in 2021, he's at 116 and counting for the Giants.

Prior to 2021 he only pitched 41 innings in 2019 to 2020 so if it was my money I'm not giving Carlos an 18 mil QO or the 44 million he eventually signed for.

I hope he turns it around this year, but it's beginning to look like he's trending toward another dead arm come August-September.

4 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Right now it's easier to say that, but at the time there was uncertainty about his health.  Carlos pitched 132 innings for us in 2021, he's at 116 and counting for the Giants.

Prior to 2021 he only pitched 41 innings in 2019 to 2020 so if it was my money I'm not giving Carlos an 18 mil QO or the 44 million he eventually signed for.

I hope he turns it around this year, but it's beginning to look like he's trending toward another dead arm come August-September.

His dead arm in august-september is going to come with 4-5 WAR. Ive been saying it since Slick Rick didbt even bother offering a QO.

1 minute ago, reiks12 said:

His dead arm in august-september is going to come with 4-5 WAR. Ive been saying it since Slick Rick didbt even bother offering a QO.

Too big of a risk and too much money for someone who's been injured more than he's played the last seven years.  Not counting this year with the Giants, Carlos has averaged 95 Innings pitched per year.  Not good enough for my 18 mil QO, or the 44 mil. the Giants are paying him.

People will really fall over backwards trying to justify what was a very obvious mistake. I don't understand it.

Maybe he'll finally break in August, I don't know. No one does. But Lucas + Lynn were seen as dependable, modern day workhorses and both of those guys have spent the entire year getting shelled and on the IL.

10 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Too big of a risk and too much money for someone who's been injured more than he's played the last seven years.  Not counting this year with the Giants, Carlos has averaged 95 Innings pitched per year.  Not good enough for my 18 mil QO, or the 44 mil. the Giants are paying him.

Then we have only 6 players actually worth their money on the roster.

Cease Vaughn Anderson Robert Kopech…Abreu

Mercedes .260, 1 , 7, .782 ops

Edited by caulfield12

I thought not dominating in his 2 previous starts (even though everything under the hood still looked fine) meant Rodon was about to break. So much for that.

Rodon now leads all pitchers in fWAR. He has the 2nd lowest FIP amongst qualified starters. 5th highest strikeout rate. ERA below 3. He is an ace and it'll be fascinating to see what the Giants get for him if they do end up selling.

18 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Rodon is toast, lol.

Looks like he is desperately pitching to get traded to a contender other than the Sox in the next two days.

At this time last year Rodon was throwing 90 MPH. At this point I'm just kind of convinced that he broke down last year cause it had been forever since he threw that many innings. I don't know how he'll take throwing 170+ innings and having to pitch in the postseason though.