Old Sock Drawer, ex Sox player discussion

elrockinMT

10 minutes ago, chw42 said:

At this time last year Rodon was throwing 90 MPH. At this point I'm just kind of convinced that he broke down last year cause it had been forever since he threw that many innings. I don't know how he'll take throwing 170+ innings and having to pitch in the postseason though. 

My theory is that he'll be healthier going forward because he now has more efficient mechanics. Bad mechanics were leading to injury, which was leading to his stuff being *significantly* (as we can see now) below what he was truly capable of. Now that he has better mechanics, his stuff has ticked way up, and he'll be healthier going forward. Of course I could be wrong, but that strikes me as likely as him being the ticking time bomb so many people on here make him out to be.

On 7/28/2022 at 1:27 PM, A-Train to 35th said:

Too big of a risk and too much money for someone who's been injured more than he's played the last seven years.  Not counting this year with the Giants, Carlos has averaged 95 Innings pitched per year.  Not good enough for my 18 mil QO, or the 44 mil. the Giants are paying him.

Leading the league in pitching is not good enough.

9 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Leading the league in pitching is not good enough.

Look at Rodon's injury history, and then tell me if it was your money what you would have done knowing the contract Boras was seeking.  My only concession is the Sox should have given him the QO knowing Boras would get more than that for him which he did, and we would of had a draft pick instead of nothing.  It's easy to have hindsight and say he leads the league in pitching now tho.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Look at Rodon's injury history, and then tell me if it was your money what you would have done knowing the contract Boras was seeking.  My only concession is the Sox should have given him the QO knowing Boras would get more than that for him which he did, and we would of had a draft pick instead of nothing.  It's easy to have hindsight and say he leads the league in pitching now tho.

But it's not actually hindsight for the people that thought him staying healthy and pitching well as a very real possibility. What's easy was dismissing anything Rodon related by saying he'll be hurt come July.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I went to a Chicago Dogs game last night. Some friends were going and a girl I like was also going so I decided to give it a shot (I did get a date with her but that's not why I posted this).

Former Sox outfielder Charlie Tilson is still hanging on with an independent league High A/AA quality team at the age of 29. He went 0-4 and misplayed a ball in RF. He can't possibly think he's got a shot at getting back to the majors, can he?

Also of note, their catcher is Brad Lidge's cousin.

45 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

So I went to a Chicago Dogs game last night. Some friends were going and a girl I like was also going so I decided to give it a shot (I did get a date with her but that's not why I posted this).

Former Sox outfielder Charlie Tilson is still hanging on with an independent league High A/AA quality team at the age of 29. He went 0-4 and misplayed a ball in RF. He can't possibly think he's got a shot at getting back to the majors, can he?

Also of note, their catcher is Brad Lidge's cousin.

Get it! 

On 8/1/2022 at 7:21 AM, A-Train to 35th said:

I wanted to sign Rodon after last season. You can check my post history. 4 WAR as of now, worth that terrible Boras contract so far 

33 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Giants LOVE Sox players

Giant's believe in player development and know the Sox are terrible at it, so they search for players from teams such as the Sox for a diamond in the rough.

https://populous.com/populous-delivers-new-san-francisco-giants-player-development-center-at-papago-park

The San Francisco Giants Player Development Center was designed to incorporate the best features of elite training facilities, allowing the team to prepare players and coaches for both the Minor and Major League seasons.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
underline
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I wanted to sign Rodon after last season. You can check my post history. 4 WAR as of now, worth that terrible Boras contract so far 

No need to check as a lot of posters wanted Carlos, show me he can do it again next year and I'd gladly give him 44 mil for 2 years I just wouldn't have done it based on the previous years.

4 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

No need to check as a lot of posters wanted Carlos, show me he can do it again next year and I'd gladly give him 44 mil for 2 years I just wouldn't have done it based on the previous years.

Not a lot of clubs did either, i get it. I think of all the players you would take a flier on it would have been him. Its not like he tore his arm, it was fatigued by not pitching for 2 years. The Giants showed faith he was going to go strong again next year seeing as how they didnt trade him at the deadline.

Carlos (according to WSD), came to the White Sox and said if they matched the Giants offer he would have signed back on. 

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

Not a lot of clubs did either, i get it. I think of all the players you would take a flier on it would have been him. Its not like he tore his arm, it was fatigued by not pitching for 2 years. The Giants showed faith he was going to go strong again next year seeing as how they didnt trade him at the deadline.

Carlos (according to WSD), came to the White Sox and said if they matched the Giants offer he would have signed back on. 

Carlos appreciated the Sox patience with him and it's nice to see he made that offer.  I agree with you about the Giants showing faith in him, and you would think the Sox would have at least offered a QO after 7 years in their system and being a third overall pick in the 1st round.  Knowing the Sox medical staff they could have given Hahn reason to back-off, but then again it's the Sox medical staff we're talking about.  The Giants take their player development to another level and they must not have agreed with the Sox take on his medicals.  No surprise there, the Sox don't hire qualified coaches, I doubt their medical staff and trainers are any better.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
sp
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Carlos appreciated the Sox patience with him and it's nice to see he made that offer.  I agree with you about the Giants showing faith in him, and you would think the Sox would have at least offered a QO after 7 years in their system and being a third overall pick in the 1st round.  Knowing the Sox medical staff they could have given Hahn reason to back-off, but then again it's the Sox medical staff we're talking about.  The Giants take their player development to another level and they must not have agreed with the Sox take on his medicals.  No surprise there, the Sox don't hire qualified coaches, I doubt their medical staff and trainers are any better.

Ptac?