Old Sock Drawer, ex Sox player discussion

elrockinMT

On 9/7/2022 at 5:42 PM, maxjusttyped said:

Caufield's post caused me to do a little bit of digging on how far back the Sox ineptitude at 2nd base goes. They haven't had a 2nd baseman reach 4 fWAR in a season since Nellie Fox in 1960 lol.

I can;t imagine how far back one would have to go when they developed a catcher.  

The expectations are not yet fulled at 3rd with Moncada.

CF has always been an issue. Now the issue is health. 

On 9/7/2022 at 3:09 PM, caulfield12 said:

And Marcus Semien's prolonged slump to begin this season is now a relic. Consider this:

Semien's first 42 games: 181/.236/.241, 0 HR, 10 RBI, 14 runs scored, 36 wRC+

Semien's next 91 games: .270/.331/.495, 21 HR, 57 RBI, 67 runs scored, 134 wRC+

I think that trade was worse than the Kimbrel trade. 2 of 3 players Sox gave up has All Star appearances, I think.

On 8/23/2022 at 7:53 PM, maxjusttyped said:

Trayce Thompson 3R HR off Corbin Burnes. Surely it's just a coincidence so many players join the Dodgers and get better or wildly exceed expectations. Why bother trying to hire away coaches or front office staff from them to see if there's anything they do that the Sox can replicate.

Their coaching is superior and probably couldn't afford them.  Reinsdorf is into former players which come from mired in mediocrity. 

I guess they couldn't really fix Kimbrel. They had 6 different pitchers record saves.

There is something magical about that organization that we will never see from the Sox.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2022&month=0&season1=2022&ind=0

Rodon leads all of mlb in fWAR by 0.3 over Nola going into the final five games.

Seems like Alcantara wins the NL Cy over Burnes, Rodon and Nola battling for third depending on how Phillies finish.  Fried…then Gallen.

12 hours ago, hi8is said:

Pretty much exactly the innings amount @CaliSoxFanViaSWsideand I pegged him at for this season. 

Yet another big pile of organizational horseshit that was stepped in.

Thank you for the shout out. Unlike the other organizational s%*# ,many many here wanted nothing to do with retaining Rodon. You can never ever give the Sox the benefit of the doubt. The easy thing to say with his injury history and their knowledge of his medical reports based on the 2021 season that Rodon was too high risk to bring back.

We went out on a limb saying not only wasn't he injured last year but with his revamped mechanics he stood a good chance of continuing to pitch well in 2022. I had countless discussions with our resident medical expert about it and I knew the odds favored everyone heavily that at some point Rodon could break down. Some times the risks are worth it when you're talking about a guy who just put up the best season of his career in 2021 especially when you are gunning for a World Series.

But hey they were able to spend it on Craig Kimbrel and in turn paid extra for Pollock and the injured Joe Kelly and 3 years of Leury. That's a lot of old crap instead of paying for your 29 year old pitcher when you're supposed to want to win.

18 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Just looked at his 2022 salary. $1 mill less than Velasquez got. Swing and a miss, Rick.

When Quintana signed, the Sox had five healthy starters projected for the 2022 season. It's very possible that Quintana would have turned down $3 million from the Sox to take $2 million from the Pirates with a guaranteed starting job.

Velasquez, on the other hand, wasn't going to get a guaranteed rotation spot from anybody.

56 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

When Quintana signed, the Sox had five healthy starters projected for the 2022 season. It's very possible that Quintana would have turned down $3 million from the Sox to take $2 million from the Pirates with a guaranteed starting job.

Velasquez, on the other hand, wasn't going to get a guaranteed rotation spot from anybody.

Also shouldn’t have gotten a guaranteed $3 mill coming off a season with a 7+ era.