Eloy is still hurt, TLR still putting him in LF

southsider2k5

14 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Cool. It's a broken roster and Eloy has to actually play at some point.

This. I'm all for bashing TLR, but Hahn and the training staff are obviously allowing this. If I recall correctly, @ptatc said he will likely deal with this the rest of the season given that he has surgery to repair his hamstring. 

The Sox simply cannot go into next season with Eloy, Vaughn, and Abreu all on the roster. Someone has to go.

Then you have to figure out what to do with the other 3 DHs: Grandal, Sheets, Burger. In my opinion, ship out Burger and Sheets for whatever you can get in return. Let Grandal remain at catcher while playing a lot of games at 1st, DH, and bench.

Roster needs a complete shakeup to add more defense and flexibility. Roster malpractice from Hahn if they bring these guys back.

• Thanks 2

Isn't the issue whether, or not, Eloy is at risk of aggravating the injury? If not, and it's simply a matter of pain, then why not allow him to play with the discomfort? I don't think that we have enough information to make such a determination.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KrankinSox said:

The Sox simply cannot go into next season with Eloy, Vaughn, and Abreu all on the roster. Someone has to go.

Then you have to figure out what to do with the other 3 DHs: Grandal, Sheets, Burger. In my opinion, ship out Burger and Sheets for whatever you can get in return. Let Grandal remain at catcher while playing a lot of games at 1st, DH, and bench.

Roster needs a complete shakeup to add more defense and flexibility. Roster malpractice from Hahn if they bring these guys back.

I agree on the first sentence.  Vaughn is literally one of the worst defensive OFs in baseball (-9 DRS in 303.1 innings) and needs to be relegated to 1B or DH.  Eloy has actually been a neutral defender in LF over the past two seasons (SSS) per DRS and is a better option than Vaughn based on the eye test IMO, but should probably be a full-time DH if we ever hope to keep him healthy.  I really don’t see a way to keep all three guys on the roster unless you’re willing to gamble on Eloy missing significant time for the third straight season.

I don’t necessarily agree on the second paragraph.  I wouldn’t trade Burger or Sheets for “whatever you can get in return”.  At this point Sheets is not returning anything of value and is better served as 1B or DH depth down in AAA.  The same applies to Burger, although he’s shown enough flashes of becoming a quality DH that he may be movable for something helpful (likely bullpen help).  As for Yaz, until a better option presents itself, he’s still my lead catcher heading into the 2023 season.  Got to hope with better health that the non-framing components of his defense also improves.  I’m good with him covering 1B & DH as the starters need a rest there.

I think the last point is most critical.  There needs to be a bigger priority placed on defense, especially in the OF corners.  Entering the season with a RF platoon of Vaughn & Sheets was the definition of insanity and both have been predictably terrible out there.  This team desperately needs a legit RF who can play defense and hit for power from the left side.  That could end up being Colas, but that doesn’t help us right now and his uneven track record with conditioning suggests he may eventually end up in LF.  As such, I wouldn’t let his presence stop me from adding a quality major league RF with Colas eventually assuming LF, although I’m doubtful will consider anything beyond a rental for RF.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, reiks12 said:

This would have been the perfect week to rest Eloy, have him DH, PH. Oakland and Colorado do not have easy outfields. 

Pretty sure they’re back in chicago for the Oakland series. But yeah. Eloy needs to DH. 

3 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

Sheets and Burger have options are should be used as depth pieces only. Let them play defense everyday in AAA. Of course use them as trade bullets if anyone has interest. But I don’t think Sox should be trying to make room for either of those players at the big league level. And the same thing also held true for 22, but Sox stupidly broke camp with Sheets as a primary option. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Pretty sure they’re back in chicago for the Oakland series. But yeah. Eloy needs to DH. 

That is correct but also a weird  schedule set-up. Sox played 3 in Chicago after ASG, then will play 2 in Coors, then back to A's in Chicago.

The chants "Fire Tony need to get louder and last longer!

Thanks again Jerry!

Then again, this could be the drunken POS TLR defying Hahn to send a message he doesn't want Hahn second guessing his managing skills. Didn't Hahn learn this yet...Tony is the smartest guy in this organization?

9 hours ago, Chimpton said:

You forget that TLR is smarter than us !

He will remind us of that, as well....again and again until he forgets what he's talking about and intentionally walks us and goes back to sleep.

Edited by Rounding_Third
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

Completely disagree with 1st sentence. Three amazing bats (when Eloy’s healthy). Keep them on the roster and keep them in the lineup. Find a way to get and keep those bats in lineup. If that means Vaughn and Eloy at corner outfield spots, so be it. Sox are not at .500 because of outfield defense, it’s because they can’t score runs consistently. You solve that by have a ton of strong bats in the lineup, and these three with Tim and a healthy Robert are the best the Sox have. Eloy won the Silver Slugger in LF; he certainly can do it again (if healthy).

Sorry, I believe Vaughn is more than adequate in LF to justify playing him there  for his bat, whatever DRS says or even is. DRS, another eye-test, made-up stat. How many people on here have said that Vaughn looks better in the outfield than Eloy? Tons of them, yet this DRS says Eloy is average but Vaughn is terrible, not buying it. 

You win games by out scoring the other team, you do that having your best bats in the lineup.

I’ll say it again, Sox aren’t struggling to stay at .500 because of their outfield defense, it’s lack of run production. And if you put forth the argument that the Sox need more lefty bats in the lineup, it would have to be a pretty elite lefty to hit righty pitching better than one of those three. Get a real lefty bat at catcher or 2B or 3B, but keep those three bats in the lineup.

It's pretty apparent (to me) how this is gonna play out. Eloy is gonna get hurt again and be out again. ... That said, if this is the manager's call (which I can guarantee it isn't) that would show what a joke this organization is. Obviously the doctors/trainers/GM and maybe even Eloy himself are making the decision. Tony may have some input but if managers are making the call on playing guys with injuries the Sox might as well give up. Teams have doctors and head trainers.

Yeah I would guess Tony could demand he only DH. That might be the manager's call. But again, probably not. He is gonna get hurt again. Probably one of the retweak out two week deals?

Edited by greg775