Trade Deadline Predictions Thread

Chicago White Sox

We are officially a week away from the trade deadline.  The Sox are currently 4 games out of the divisional lead and 3.5 of the last wild card spot.  With Tony La Russa still at helm and a weak upcoming schedule, it’s all but a certainty the Sox are buyers.  The real question is what will Hahn be able to pull off and how deep into the farm system will he be willing to go to improve the major league roster.  Please go ahead and post what you think will happen over the next week.  I’ll be posting my predictions shortly.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

I predict a few minor moves that will improve the team, but nothing spectacular.  For example:

Andrew Chafin
Jose Quintana
Tyler Naquin

We'll hear that the Sox had discussions with Washington for Soto, but nothing serious developed from it.

Maybe one surprise acquisition in Joey Gallo.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I predict a few minor moves that will improve the team, but nothing spectacular.  For example:

Andrew Chafin
Jose Quintana
Tyler Naquin

We'll hear that the Sox had discussions with Washington for Soto, but nothing serious developed from it.

Maybe one surprise acquisition in Joey Gallo.

Yeah those look about right. But please no to Gallo.

Here are my personal predictions of what will happen:

• CHW acquire OF Ian Happ from CHC for LHP Garret Crochet, RHP Kohl Simas, & RHP Andrew Dalquist
  • CHW acquire LHP Jose Quintana from PIT for OF Luis Mieses & RHP Jason Bilous
  • CHW acquire LHP Brock Burke from TEX for 3B/DH Jake Burger and RHP Luke Schilling

Admittedly I don’t know if the Rangers would consider moving Burke, but I think we see some form of Jake Burger being moved for a controllable reliever and ideally a LH one.  

Losing Crochet would suck, but he’s limited a reliever with us and having Happ’s bat for the next 1 1/3 years would be a massive benefit.  Not sure if those secondary pieces are enough though.

As for Quintana, I do think we could use an insurance arm and I fully expect Jose be that guy due to price and familiarity within the organization.  He’s not a splashy addition, but the price should be reasonable and allows us to give more rest to Kopech down the stretch and better protect him for a potential playoff run.

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

• CHW acquire OF Ian Happ from CHC for LHP Garret Crochet, RHP Kohl Simas, & RHP Andrew Dalquist
  • CHW acquire LHP Brock Burke from TEX for 3B/DH Jake Burger and RHP Luke Schilling

Admittedly I don’t know if the Rangers would consider moving Burke, but I think we see some form of Jake Burger being moved for a controllable reliever and ideally a LH one.  

Losing Crochet would suck, but he’s limited a reliever with us and having Happ’s bat for the next 1 1/3 years would be a massive benefit.  Not sure if those secondary pieces are enough though.

As for Quintana, I do think we could use an insurance arm and I fully expect Jose be that guy due to price and familiarity within the organization.  He’s not a splashy addition, but the price should be reasonable and allows us to give more rest to Kopech down the stretch and better protect him for a potential playoff run.

More like Matt Moore.

I predict based on the Sox current record and 2022 live gate revenue being lower to significantly lower than projected last offseason with the disappointing attendance, they will not do much. I don’t believe they are sellers unless they lose 4 of 5, or get a crazy offer for Liam, a starter, perhaps Eloy.

If they add anything, it will be marginal,  i.e. a 6th - 7th inning reliever, because Hahn, or perhaps a Naquin-ish RF who is at/below average fielding, but a significant defensive upgrade to Sheets and Vaughn, and can hit better than Leury.

If I’m wrong, hopefully I’m pleasantly surprised.

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

of course not. Would you give him up for Moore and Martin Perez ?

Sure, pretty much stuck with Moncada and they're not going to move him back to second…and then Burger still profiles better at DH and 1B, where we have, what, 6-7 possible options already?

22 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

of course not. Would you give him up for Moore and Martin Perez ?

I’d have to think about it.  Who are we kicking out of a playoff rotation for Perez?  I get he has been good, but I think we got to bank on Giolito & Lynn returning to form as part of any trade deadline strategy.

Hahn may grow a pair this deadline and that might not be so good. They just got a bunch of young arms in the draft so that could mean that the ones we already have are headed out. Not that are any really good ones anywhere near the majors except Davis Martin. Lambert has been surprisingly effective in the pen.

Colas and Montgomery are probably safe. But anyone else in the minors is fair game from the 40 who have spent any time on the 26, Burger, Sheets, Zavala, McGuire, Romy Gonzalez, Sosa, Haseley. Others include any position player in the minors if anyone wants them. Might be some interest in Cespedes, Popeye Rodriquez, Cristian Mena, Jared Kelley, Luis Mieses.

I'd say the most amount of money they take on is between $10-15M for the rest of this year. Whatever players that can fit that price structure. If they can squeeze 3 moves in that they will but more likely 2.

57 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I like the idea of Happ.  He fills an immediate need in the lineup and in the field.  Giving up Crochet is a tough one, though.  However, with the way he's been handled, he may never reach his potential with this team.

If the Sox were to acquire Happ, they'd have to somehow get rid of or neutralize Tony's favorite toy in Leury.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d have to think about it.  Who are we kicking out of a playoff rotation for Perez?  I get he has been good, but I think we got to bank on Giolito & Lynn returning to form as part of any trade deadline strategy.

Kopech may not make it anyway but he could if he relieves the rest of the way or the last month .

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hahn may grow a pair this deadline and that might not be so good. They just got a bunch of young arms in the draft so that could mean that the ones we already have are headed out. Not that are any really good ones anywhere near the majors except Davis Martin. Lambert has been surprisingly effective in the pen.

Colas and Montgomery are probably safe. But anyone else in the minors is fair game from the 40 who have spent any time on the 26, Burger, Sheets, Zavala, McGuire, Romy Gonzalez, Sosa, Haseley. Others include any position player in the minors if anyone wants them. Might be some interest in Cespedes, Popeye Rodriquez, Cristian Mena, Jared Kelley, Luis Mieses.

I'd say the most amount of money they take on is between $10-15M for the rest of this year. Whatever players that can fit that price structure. If they can squeeze 3 moves in that they will but more likely 2.

This is an interesting thought, especially with a couple of them being potentially quick movers in the 2nd and 3rd round picks.

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

I like the idea of Happ.  He fills an immediate need in the lineup and in the field.  Giving up Crochet is a tough one, though.  However, with the way he's been handled, he may never reach his potential with this team.

If the Sox were to acquire Happ, they'd have to somehow get rid of or neutralize Tony's favorite toy in Leury.

Despite what we think of Leury his playing time is more a reflection of injuries, non performance and a huge lack of any LHH. You get LH players, prevent injuries and have guys perform better Leury becomes a PR and occasional OF for defense and 2nd base occasional starter for Harrison. If Vaughn, Eloy or Pollock need replacing defensively, if Robert is still out and Engel cannot fill that need, that's his only spot in the OF if you get Happ.

Hahn gets a deal done for Quintana

Then Kenny, angry with this season, begins working in the background. Trades for Soto. There is a confusing amount of anger on the board cause we're happy but also Vaughn/Eloy, Montgomery, Colas (and some more) are gone. We find out Reinsdorf is mad cause the trade was made while he and TLR were at dinner at the deadline and he knows he has to hear about a Soto extension for two years and at least attempt negotiations. 

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

I fear something desperate and stupid is coming.  Who would be this year’s equivalent of Kimbrel?  Anyone intriguing in BHam might just be out the door in a desperate attempt to slather lipstick on pig snout…

Yeo, I worry about the same things. Hahn might be desperate and we know his track record on trades at the deadline. Our farm system sucks already and to deplete it further for a few rentals is so dumb. 

33 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

There would certainly be a lot of interest in those guys, especially in return for the freak-year rents, middle relievers and utility players Hahn is likely to target. And all because he took a nap in December and wasted $36 million on a group of players who aren't even average.
The Sox don't have near enough minor league pitching to fuel the majors over the next few year.