Sox have called Conforto, talking about other premium players

southsider2k5

7 minutes ago, chw42 said:

This reminds me of this tweet

Yeah, the "front line starter," who ended up being Vince Velasquez and the second baseman "like Marcus Semien," who ended up being Josh Harrison. This is a bad joke. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Do any of you share my trepidation that the moves this front office might make could very well be worse than just standing pat? They erred badly in their off season moves, and aren't likely to fix their mistakes, at this late date and out of desperation. "Don't just do something-stand there".

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

nah, i believe this. This team ain't it. it's broken and station to station, doesn't take walks, doesn't work counts,  doesn't play defense, doesn't run out balls in play, don't hit the cut-off men, do not run bases well, do not read signs well, has a manager without a pulse in his body, in the media, or team and we are maxed out in terms of payroll. i actually fully think this is JUST the time the Sox would go all-in and mortgage whatever few pieces of a minor league system they have left all to lose to a much better Yankees and Astros team. (blue jays too) in the ALDS in 4 games. 

Feed this into my veins!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

Do any of you share my trepidation that the moves this front office might make could very well be worse than just standing pat? They erred badly in their off season moves, and aren't likely to fix their mistakes, at this late date and out of desperation. "Don't just do something-stand there".

I don't want the front office to touch anything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

They scare the hell out of me...you're not alone.

• Like 2

They really don't have anything to trade on the current roster.  Too many brittle guys,  Change of scenery trades don't work either.   Last years trades were really bad,  It's not about what they gave up it didn't make them better and somewhat worse.  

I'd rather they do nothing unless they can trade Tony.  

All in is not gonna happen this year or next.   

Edited by kitekrazy

7 hours ago, chw42 said:

This reminds me of this tweet

This has got to be the most unrealistic tweet of the decade.

Ray's not going anywhere because 1) the M's desperately need him with Gilbert/Kirby hitting their limits as rookies and 2) they're not going to sign a premium free agent and trade him within 12 months.

Semien doesn't actually begin to fit with Sox salary/payroll philosophy.  Harrison probably has comparable numbers the last 6-8 weeks.   Second base is no longer one of the biggest problem areas on the team, unless Leury plays "too much."

• TLR 2

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

This has got to be the most unrealistic tweet of the decade.

Ray's not going anywhere because 1) the M's desperately need him with Gilbert/Kirby hitting their limits as rookies and 2) they're not going to sign a premium free agent and trade him within 12 months.

Semien doesn't actually begin to fit with Sox salary/payroll philosophy.  Harrison probably has comparable numbers the last 6-8 weeks.   Second base is no longer one of the biggest problem areas on the team, unless Leury plays "too much."

Check the date

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

They really don't have anything to trade on the current roster.  Too many brittle guys,  Change of scenery trades don't work either.   Last years trades were really bad,  It's not about what they gave up it didn't make them better and somewhat worse.  

I'd rather they do nothing unless they can trade Tony.  

All in is not gonna happen this year or next.   

It has to happen next year considering Giolito's status, the fact that it would be two years without a post-season appearance (if they didn't make it THIS year)...which would spell the doom of the rebuild's momentum (the Cubs had that one year without making it, and then bounced back, but they started with three consecutive NL championship series  as a baseline too)...and TA's free agency status looming the following year as well (progress of Montgomery in AA/AAA).

Not to mention they would need to find a completely new catcher for 2024, which means next year is pivotal.  Lynn's status is up in the air too, quite obviously, after 2023.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

It has to happen next year considering Giolito's status, the fact that it would be two years without a post-season appearance (if they didn't make it THIS year)...which would spell the doom of the rebuild's momentum (the Cubs had that one year without making it, and then bounced back, but they started with three consecutive NL championship series  as a baseline too)...and TA's free agency status looming the following year as well (progress of Montgomery in AA/AAA).

Not to mention they would need to find a completely new catcher for 2024, which means next year is pivotal.  Lynn's status is up in the air too, quite obviously, after 2023.

If we're hanging on to Giolito for the rebuild succeeding or not, we're probably in trouble. They should of added a TOR starter last winter, but blew that obvious need off. Now the need is even greater.

1 minute ago, Sarava said:

If we're hanging on to Giolito for the rebuild succeeding or not, we're probably in trouble. They should of added a TOR starter last winter, but blew that obvious need off. Now the need is even greater.

Then they’re really going to have to get creative with Eloy, Moncada, Hendriks, Pollock, Lynn, etc. 

It would seem pretty much impossible to move either Grandal or Kelly.

Unless they’re going to run a $210-215 million payroll or make some dramatic cuts somewhere, they won’t be able to afford a TOR guy.  They might have to settle for a Manaea 3rd/4th starter type, because there’s no way they will go after Musgrove, deGrom or Rodon.

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Then they’re really going to have to get creative with Eloy, Moncada, Hendriks, Pollock, Lynn, etc. 

It would seem pretty much impossible to move either Grandal or Kelly.

Unless they’re going to run a $210-215 million payroll or make some dramatic cuts somewhere, they won’t be able to afford a TOR guy.  They might have to settle for a Manaea 3rd/4th starter type, because there’s no way they will go after Musgrove, deGrom or Rodon.

I don't disagree. They've cornered themselves in with some bad contracts. I was just pointing out - right now Giolito is a mediocre 3rd/4th starter at best, until he proves otherwise. I'm not sure that he is a barometer for any success or lack of going forward.

5 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I don't disagree. They've cornered themselves in with some bad contracts. I was just pointing out - right now Giolito is a mediocre 3rd/4th starter at best, until he proves otherwise. I'm not sure that he is a barometer for any success or lack of going forward.

The problem is that relying on Martin or Lambert is the pitching equivalent of Sheets and Leury.

Maybe they get another deal with Cueto, but it won’t be nearly so advantageous the second time around.