7/27 Sox @ Rockies 2:10 CST

Vote4Pedro

52 minutes ago, fathom said:

What’s incredible to me is that after a play like that, you’d think he be doing everything he could to make up for it.   Nope, he hit a one foot grounder and literally walked back to the dugout 

According to Benetti it was 15 mph off the bat.  It looked more like 1 mph.  I would have pinched hit Eloy for Leury.

13 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Part of the problem is that our starters rarely go more than 6 innings.

Another issue is every guy in the bullpen seems to pitch one inning every game, so nobody is ever fresh. Makes no sense that a guy will have a 12 pitch inning, but the Sox brain trust doesn’t think he can go another inning or at least get a few more  outs. Every game is a starter going no more than 5 or 6 innings, and 3 or 4 relievers have to be perfect every day.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/standings/playoff-odds

Even after todays debacle, FG still has Sox as division favorite and hugest chance in central to make the playoffs at 54.7% to 50% for the Twins.

I truly do you respect you always being positive because you do it in a way where you don’t bury your head in the sand, but you’re at least approaching it from a logical perspective. 

With that said, I just can’t stomach the “Hey just make the playoffs and anything will happen.” That’s not good enough, and I don’t even think it’s totally true. Why? Because we know this team will get trounced by Houston, the Yankees and the Rays, let alone the Dodgers. They just aren’t close to that level. So if they make the playoffs…what does that really get us? I’m not saying by any means I DON’T want them to make the playoffs, of course I do. But we have seen more than enough of this team since last July. We know who they are. A .500 team. Nothing more. That doesn’t play in October. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/standings/playoff-odds

Even after todays debacle, FG still has Sox as division favorite and hugest chance in central to make the playoffs at 54.7% to 50% for the Twins.

Our odds had gone from close to 40% at the beginning of the 4 game Twins series to the mid 50s after taking 3 out of 4.  The Twins just aren't gonna run away with this.

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

I truly do you respect you always being positive because you do it in a way where you don’t bury your head in the sand, but you’re at least approaching it from a logical perspective. 

I am as frustrated as anyone with this shitshow season. But there is still a division to win here. I’d rather see playoff ball than not, so I’m gonna root away until it’s not possible. Sometimes as Sox fans it’s hard to be objective when we see the horseshit play, but there is plenty of that to go around in the Central.

23 minutes ago, Tony said:

With that said, I just can’t stomach the “Hey just make the playoffs and anything will happen.” That’s not good enough, and I don’t even think it’s totally true. Why? Because we know this team will get trounced by Houston, the Yankees and the Rays, let alone the Dodgers. They just aren’t close to that level. So if they make the playoffs…what does that really get us? I’m not saying by any means I DON’T want them to make the playoffs, of course I do. But we have seen more than enough of this team since last July. We know who they are. A .500 team. Nothing more. That doesn’t play in October. 

If you can't stomach his optimism, I imagine you have elrockin blocked

55 minutes ago, Tony said:

Yeah, not thrilled with playing the Cinderella role in October where you hope to hang your hat on a surprise upset when it’s objectively clear to everyone that you aren’t at the same level. I envision whomever they meet just laughing their way through it in the dugout like it is some sort of inside joke they are playing it.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am as frustrated as anyone with this shitshow season. But there is still a division to win here. I’d rather see playoff ball than not, so I’m gonna root away until it’s not possible. Sometimes as Sox fans it’s hard to be objective when we see the horseshit play, but there is plenty of that to go around in the Central.

I guess the issue I have with that premise is we are just focused on the Central. As Sox fans, the goal needs to be bigger than that. Just because the Sox got gifted a spot in the worst division in baseball doesn’t give them an excuse to accept horseshit baseball. 

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

I guess the issue I have with that premise is we are just focused on the Central. As Sox fans, the goal needs to be bigger than that. Just because the Sox got gifted a spot in the worst division in baseball doesn’t give them an excuse to accept horseshit baseball. 

Preach. 

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Didn't catch that ball at home even though he probably would have been safe...

This is where I just wonder what's all the fuss about him not catching the ball. Is it just people venting or am I seeing something they aren't or am I imagining things I want to because I don't want to blame the catcher because he has the shittiest glove to field throws of any player on the diamond while applying a tag and holding onto the ball all while he is kneeling down trying not to illegally block the plate which means he has to catch the ball out front and throw the tag backwards behind him all in one smooth motion. Or let the ball get deeper, closer to the runner and applying a tag before he really has the ball secured knowing full well if he does that the contact with the runner on the tag has a better chance of knocking the ball out.

A catcher has to decide on a close play how quickly he has to get the tag on the runner in order to get him out. In a vacuum that was a nice long hop that had there not been a runner streaking towards the plate he would catch. He catches it ,the tag is late the runner is safe. He misses the ball because he's trying to speed up the process in order to tag him out ,which in this case, probably wouldn't have happened no matter what he did.

Optically it looks bad. You don't catch the ball you can't tag the runner , the runner is safe , ball game over, you lose. Once you lose the reaction is going to be "catch the damn ball !"  But the catcher knows better than anyone when the ball is late and the result will be that the runner scores. He is more than likely not catching the ball because he is trying to do the impossible which is get the ball and apply the tag before the runner can touch home.

We see this a lot on stolen base attempts where the fielder may miss or drop a ball thrown by the catcher except those guys can block the base with no fear of getting run over by the runner because a runner stealing has to slow down enough not to slide off the base when a runner going home is full speed ahead . And they actually have gloves designed to catch ground balls unlike the catcher who has a glove designed to catch 100MPH pitches without hops from 60 ft 6 inches which is actually closer because of the long strides pitchers take before they release the ball.They do all this wearing equipment designed to protect them from these pitches.

Playing catcher is the worst position to play in baseball and it's not even close. Every pitch there's a chance of getting banged up. The tools of ignorance, indeed.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

While this may be true it's not the point. The point is to become better than you are now. You improve yourself in areas of need and with some health luck and 2nd half improvements from players who have under performed in the 1st half, which is almost always the case in baseball, you can put yourself in a much better position to compete this year and possibly next year with other acquisitions and some minor league guys stepping up.

Unfortunately the men in charge have made a series of moves since the trade deadline of last year to throw up a roadblock to team success , squandered away money thinking relief pitching is the best way to compete all while ignoring roster construction, starting pitching depth, defense and lineup balance.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

While this may be true it's not the point. The point is to become better than you are now. You improve yourself in areas of need and with some health luck and 2nd half improvements from players who have under performed in the 1st half, which is almost always the case in baseball, you can put yourself in a much better position to compete this year and possibly next year with other acquisitions and some minor league guys stepping up.

Unfortunately the men in charge have made a series of moves since the trade deadline of last year to throw up a roadblock to team success , squandered away money thinking relief pitching is the best way to compete all while ignoring roster construction, starting pitching depth, defense and lineup balance.

No, it is completely the point. 

The only thing buying does is make the Sox future worse. 

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd also rather see playoff baseball...for the first time 3 years in a row.  I also recognize that this is not the year to go all in, mortgaging whatever future there is in the minors to build up this squad that doesn't have what it takes to win it all.  Hell in retrospect, 2020 was probably the best opportunity to go for it the way they were playing  (until the last week of course).  If they would have gotten another starting pitcher and gotten past the Athletics, who knows.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, it is completely the point. 

The only thing buying does is make the Sox future worse. 

No it's not the point. The point was and it remains to win a championship. The future is going to be bad once the window closes but while the chance to win a championship still remains I don't see the point of not doing everything possible to make it happen no matter how little faith I have in the FO to accomplish it.

Just because everyone is joining your parade of doom and gloom there are those who continue to want to win. Now you feel bolder and empowered to preach your gospel of hopelessness.

It's not going magically get better doing nothing. Even if it's rearranging the chairs on the Titanic it's better than sitting on your hands and crying about the impending death.

People with serious illnesses do everything they can to live longer even if it prolongs the pain and suffering. The ones who give up die quicker.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No it's not the point. The point was and it remains to win a championship. The future is going to be bad once the window closes but while the chance to win a championship still remains I don't see the pont of not doing everything possible to make it happen no happen how little faith i have in the FO to accomplish it.

It's not going magically get better doing nothing. Even if it's rearranging the chair on the Titanic it's better than sitting on your hands and crying about the impending death.

People with serious illnesses do everything they can to live longer even if it prolongs the pain and suffering. The ones who give up die quicker.

Again. Stand pat at the TDL and hope for the best. Re-evaluate after the season. 

This might be a bit of a Debbie Downer but after this season I expect Reinsdorf to mandate a payroll cut. 

I don't really think they're going to do much in FA besides re-signing Abreu. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

58 minutes ago, Tony said:

That is true. But regardless, the Sox are still only 3 games behind the Twins and Cleveland. We could win the Central by 10 games if this team wakes up. Agree the Central winner may be out quickly , but lets just win the Division and take our chances from there

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Tony, we've been following this team for 20+ years. We know how ownership/the FO operates. It's not like the fans can vote to make Jerry sell the team, so quite frankly anyone expecting more than a playoff appearance from this ownership/FO is going to be sorely disappointed. 

Would we like to hold them to a higher standard? Sure. But it's Jerry's team, not ours. He can run it however the hell he wants. The only thing we can do is choose not to consume the product, which...since we're all on this board, we have decided not to do. 

Until there is a new braintrust with the Sox, anything more than a playoff appearance is gravy. It's hard enough to even get those. 

If we're going to continue to consume White Sox baseball, it's best to accept what constraints ownership puts on the team and hope for the best around those. 

I'm sitting here on the keyboard, complaining about the Sox trading minor leaguers to go for it this year, when I know that's what they're going to do. 

I should take my own advice and try to hope that they don't trade too much and go for inexpensive targets. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

48 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Again. Stand pat at the TDL and hope for the best. Re-evaluate after the season. 

This might be a bit of a Debbie Downer but after this season I expect Reinsdorf to mandate a payroll cut. 

I don't really think they're going to do much in FA besides re-signing Abreu. 

Doesn't exactly sound like you're hoping for the best while expecting a payroll cut. Sounds like your hoping to be extending the current and future mired in mediocrity created by an inept front office so you can be Grand Marshall in the "I told you there was no hope" parade.

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Doesn't exactly sound like you're hoping for the best while expecting a payroll cut. Sounds like your hoping to be extending the current and future mired in mediocrity created by an inept front office so you can be Grand Marshall in the "I told you there was no hope" parade.

Even if they don't add anyone they can still win the ALC just by not beating themselves on a semi-regular basis. 

I could see them maintain their payroll level if they do make the postseason. 

I understand the Juan Soto threads. It's fun to think about. I'm also 99% sure it's not going to happen. 

It's really hard to expect them to do anything with the constraints from ownership. 

Edited by Jack Parkman