Chicago White Sox' 2022 Fan Cost Index ranks 9th across The MLB

South Side Hit Men

Key Findings

1. The White Sox have the second highest beer price across The MLB ($10.75 - Mets at $12) after their switch in beer marketing partner from Goose Island, Revolution and Modelo to Miller MolsonCoors swill. So a decrease in quality, and gouging for bottom barrel beer.
  2. The Sox have the fifth highest parking rates across The MLB ($23.57), even higher than Boston but lower than Oakland (WTF).
  3. Going to a Cubs game costs an average $100 more for a family of four, which should give most here joy.
  4. Not sure if the outrageous ticket fees are included in the ticket prices, which the Sox come in slightly below average ($34.43 Sox vs. $35.93 average). Sadly, the White Sox have eliminated the ability to pay in cash (28% of adults do not have a credit card), and also eliminated the ability to avoid Ticketbastard fees and buy tickets direct at the Ballpark Box Office the past two seasons.

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/sports/inflation-mlb-ballpark-concession-stands

With the average 2022 MLB general ticket price already up 3.6% this season to land at $35.93, the cost for beer, soda, hot dogs and other popular game-day necessities is also on the rise.

FYHvBnAXwAIRWvv?format=jpg&name=900x900

ESPN had more detailed breakouts of additional food items:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34266746/how-inflation-affecting-your-wallet-ballpark-concessions-stand-season

• Nachos & Cheese $6.75
  • Cracker Jack $4.00 (second cheapest in The MLB, Anaheim @ $3.75 is the low cost leader)
  • Water & Soda $5.60 for 16 oz (prices presented per oz, both $0.35)

The White Sox had that long run from 2006-2011 where they were usually around 4th through 6th, offsetting the lower attendance by gouging that 20% of the fanbase that accounts for 80% of the revenues.

It never made sense to me why we weren’t more aligned with teams like the Brewers, Braves, Mets, Cardinals, Padres, Angels, Mariners and for a long long time the Dodgers were quite competitive in pricing despite being a large market team.

Finally, the A’s seem to be purposely alienating their fans so they can leave ASAP.

They had some of the best food deals and packages in the sport until this year, when they inexplicably raised prices and cut down on a lot of the discounting.   You simply can’t do that for a crappy team bereft of all its past stars competing in the same market with the Giants and their far superior stadium and location.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

The White Sox had that long run from 2006-2011 where they were usually around 4th through 6th, offsetting the lower attendance by gouging that 20% of the fanbase that accounts for 80% of the revenues.

It never made sense to me why we weren’t more aligned with teams like the Brewers, Mets, Cardinals, Padres, Angels, Mariners and for a long long time the Dodgers were quite competitive in pricing despite being a large market team.

Finally, the A’s seem ti be purposely alienating their fans so they can leave ASAP.

They had some of the best food deals and packages in the sport until this year, when they inexplicably raised prices and cut down on a lot of the discounting.   You simply can’t do that for a crappy team bereft of all its past stars competing in the same market with the Giants and their far superior stadium and location.

Would say the Angels and Baltimore, and to a lessor extent the Mets are comparable teams in terms of market demographics and fan split. Oakland is intentionally tanking attendance, so you need to go back several years to draw a meaningful comparison between the Giants and A's. The White Sox' revenue last year reduced more than most other non CA,NY teams due to the heavy attendance restrictions in place until late June. 

Between the rejection of cash & box office sales, and the removal of all games from free television, the Sox are forgoing an opportunity to expand their fan base and exposure long term. Even televising a weekly game over the air like the Yankees do on Saturdays and accepting cash, would give them consistent exposure in the marketplace with lower / working class income, our historical fan base, and would produce goodwill and fan interest over time, which could restore lost market share erosion over the past 40 years.

2021 Team Revenue & Cost Index by market

• Cubs (R 5th $425M & CI 2nd $313) vs. White Sox (R 24th $258M (tied with Pittsburgh WTF) & CI 9th $215).
  • Dodgers (R 1st $565M & CI 6th $266) vs. Angels (R 9th $331M & CI 18th $183)
  • Washington D.C. (R 11th $322M & CI 5th $279) vs. Baltimore (R 27th $251M & CI 23rd $168)
  • Yankees (R 2nd $482M & CI 3rd $303) vs. Mets (R 13th $302M & CI $197)

Will be interested to see 2022 numbers, which will provide better comparisons across all 30 teams with the exclusion of attendance restrictions throughout the year.

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

The beer prices are utterly absurd now. 

no doubt, but water is even more galling

The stuff falls from the sky

I can't remember the last time I paid for parking.  I always parked across the expressway, even as the city tries to push free areas further and further away.  A few years ago a friend moved into the neighborhood so now I get a pass from him and park on Lowe.  I also won't drink at the game usually.  I was invited to a game last friday by a friend so I was drinking and buying.  I would have been better off paying for the ticket

• Hawk 1

3 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

The one silver lining offsetting this is the puzzling, but welcome, allowance of like 200 vendors outside the stadium selling beers and shots 3 for 10.  The walk to the stadium along 35th street is like a mini-Maxwell street.  I love it, but am awaiting the crackdown.

Do they pour the shots out of a fifth, or are they giving you an airport bottle?

Bonus points if they are pouring shots directly into fans mouths.