Farm System Optimism

Chicago White Sox

So it’s very clear to me the farm system is still very bad and what looks like a solid draft isn’t going to magically change that.  However, it’s definitely improving and I think we’re quickly moving away from the bottom.  Here are a handful of reasons we should be optimistic:

• Colson’s Montgomery: Has put up a ~150 wRC+ across A ball this year as a 20 year old, is sporting a BB % higher than his K % in A+, and is now ranked #52 in BA’s top 100
  • Oscar Colas: Entered season in great shape flashing at least four plus tools; despite battling rust and a wrist injury, put up a 127 wRC+ in A+ and is currently destroying AA
  • Lenyn Sosa: Breakout season in AA at 22 where he was arguably the league’s best hitter posting a 142 wRC+ with improved BB %, K %, and power (29 HR / 600 PA pace)
  • Bryan Ramos: 20 year old starting to turn his plus bat speed & raw power into in-game power with a 26 HR / PA 600 pace; has also improved his K % while maintaining BB %
  • Jose Rodriguez: Slow start to season as a 21 year old in AA, but has really picked it up over his last ~150 PAs posting a 127 wRC+ with improving K % while swiping 23 bases
  • Carlos Perez: 25 year old catcher continues to flash unique offensive profile in AAA with high contact (8.5% K rate) and good power (28 HR / 600 PA) with improving BB %
  • Yoelqui Cespedes: Has made major improvements in his BB % over his last 100 PAs, jumping from 2.6% to 13.9% without any change to K % and minimal decline in ISO
  • Luis Mieses: 22 year old having solid season with 115 wRC+ and league leading 31 doubles in High A; flashing major league platoon OF potential with .880 OPS vs. RHP
  • DJ Gladney: Significant improvement in repeat season at Low A increasing his wRC+ from 73 to 107 with improved K % and league leading 16 HRs (26 HR / 600 PA pace)

That’s just nine positive developments and it only includes full season positional guys.  I’m sure someone could add pitchers & rookie ball players and quickly find another dozen.  I do think credit should be given to Barkett & Johansen as we are actually seeing young guys get better vs. stagnating and eventually flaming out.  Hopefully Getz has finally fixed the hitting side of the player development function and we’ll see continued returns into the coming years.

• Like 2

I know he missed a lot of the season, but Norge Vera is putting up really good numbers in Kanny in his first state side experience as well.  Also can't go without mentioning Loidell Chapelli.

Also a lot more interesting breakouts in the low minors than I remember seeing before, and not random old 4A bat type breakouts that were obviously meaningless like we used to get excited about.

I am somewhat here but also share @maxjusttypeds horror at the pitching depth. It is shocking how bad it is in AA and AAA, and isn’t much better aside from notables in lower levels. We really need paddy to start finding more depth for us here from international. We haven’t found even a bullpen at that I can remember from him since he took over.

• Like 1

Agree with all of the names mentioned above, and also want to include Kohl Simas, Wilfred Veras (his power surge over the last month or so has been fun to track), and to a lesser extent, Matthew Thompson, whose peripherals have at least been decent in A+ despite being quite young for the level

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

I am somewhat here but also share @maxjusttypeds horror at the pitching depth. It is shocking how bad it is in AA and AAA, and isn’t much better aside from notables in lower levels. We really need paddy to start finding more depth for us here from international. We haven’t found even a bullpen at that I can remember from him since he took over.

The upper levels are a dumpster fire. 

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I agree! Can’t remember anyone we have signed internationally and went through the DSL that we developed. Crazy and that is something that is really hurting our system. 

I really like the types of players that Shirley and Paddy are targeting these days. Even if it doesn't result in much, they should keep doing what they're doing because the process is correct. Ceiling>everything is the correct way to go about it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Most teams don’t pay for pitching on the international market. There are rarely many in the international top 30-50. Sox were really hurt by 2020. Prep pitchers taken in 2019 and 2020 and a five round draft. This years class should provide a jolt with some really interesting arms 

41 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Most teams don’t pay for pitching on the international market. There are rarely many in the international top 30-50. Sox were really hurt by 2020. Prep pitchers taken in 2019 and 2020 and a five round draft. This years class should provide a jolt with some really interesting arms 

It has seemed to be a push lately.  I wonder if they have something figured out between Mena and Vera.

I am somewhat optimistic in the depth of the our system and even a few in the DSL and rookie ball.  The problem is that after looking into the DSL a bunch, there are so many more intriguing guys there on other teams that it almost can appear like a failure for the Sox, same with rookie ball.  Most of the better looking prospects at both levels for the Sox tend to be older and not performing as well as other younger guys on other teams.  I think it's really gonna take another wave or 2 of J2 signings to really get the depth of our system to improve to the levels of other teams unfortunately