Why not Colas?

ron883

6 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Sox didn't want to bring Vaughn up immediately, they were forced into it due to Jimenez injury and lost a year of service time because of it.

There's no reason to burn a year of Colas service time on a garbage team that isn't going anywhere. We can wait until next season so we can preserve the 6.5 years. 

Part of the reason this is a “Garbage team” is because it lacks some of what Colas theoretically provides. No, it is not a Colas away from relevance, but selling service time for the cause is kind of the point of bringing up talent. 

• Like 1

We better not fall in love with this guy yet. Hahn is probably shopping him for a 2 month rental on a 36 year old reliever as we speak. 

Seriously, we are at a huge disadvantage with the depleted minor league system (thanks Rick). We have to either give multiple guys to match a single player from teams like SD, STL, LAD, or give up major league controllable talent to even compete. That's another reason Hahn at the helm scares the heck out of me. He HAS to make some deals to feel he is doing his job and getting the HOFBP more arms. He's going to gut us. 

Edited by PitchatRisktoZisk
  • Haha 2

There’s no reason whatsoever to bring up Colas this season IMO. Some of Sox players were brought up too soon and I believe is a reason why some of us call them the dumbest team in baseball. Give him time to develop properly in minors and don’t ruin him. This 2022 team isn’t going anywhere anyway. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ron883 said:

In 8 games in AA, Colas has a whopping 5 HRs and an OPS north of 1.400. The guy is 23 and has experience in the Japan professional league. The Sox called Vaughn right up from A+. Why not Colas? He's lefty and plays a better corner OF than any of the bums currently on this squad. 

Preaching to the choir, I agree get him up here fast before another single is turned into a double or triple by our corner DH outfielders.

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

There is no doubt in my military mind that Colas is better than Sheets as a right fielder.  Bring him up, screw the service time, because they'll probably extend him anyway.

The only reason that two of their guys signed extensions is that the team was willing to leave them in the minors to earn an extra year of service time if they didn’t. The guy they had to call up to fill Eloys spot after injury - Vaughn - no extension.

• Thanks 1

I mentioned in another thread, that AAA might not be as useful to him as it would be to others. Colas has

probably seen a vast array of breaking stuff and finesse good control pitchers in Japan. he might be the one guy 

who could come from AA and not be overmatched.

• Hawk 1

Serious question, if we sent Sheets ( or Burger or whoever) down to AA against AA pitching wouldn’t he tear the cover off the ball and have an OPS around 1100 or 12OO. Mendick’s Charlotte OPS IS .894, way better than his Sox OPS, and that’s Triple A. Wouldn’t Mendick’s OPS be over 1000 in AA?

I remember when Palka had that terrible start for Sox in 2019, something like 2 for his 1st 45 at bats. He still went down to Charlotte that year and had an OPS of .900 and had 27 homers. 

So, minor league pitching much easier than MLB pitching, so even with his great start in AA, that doesn’t mean he can hit major league pitching.

I agree he will be a good one for Sox but we probably need to cool our jets on Colas, especially with a small sample size.

21 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Serious question, if we sent Sheets ( or Burger or whoever) down to AA against AA pitching wouldn’t he tear the cover off the ball and have an OPS around 1100 or 12OO. Mendick’s Charlotte OPS IS .894, way better than his Sox OPS, and that’s Triple A. Wouldn’t Mendick’s OPS be over 1000 in AA?

I remember when Palka had that terrible start for Sox in 2019, something like 2 for his 1st 45 at bats. He still went down to Charlotte that year and had an OPS of .900 and had 27 homers. 

So, minor league pitching much easier than MLB pitching, so even with his great start in AA, that doesn’t mean he can hit major league pitching.

I agree he will be a good one for Sox but we probably need to cool our jets on Colas, especially with a small sample size.

To me, the decision would be based on whether you would play Colas as a regular. is he your best option as a RF and is he ready to face ML pitching on a regular basis.

I prioritize defense much more than La Russa. They are starting league worst outfielders in Sheets and Vaughn. Whatever platoon advantage or OPS advantage Sheets could provide vs. RHP over Engel, Leury or others, is offset by the fact he is costing your pitching staff outs and team runs on a regular basis. This turns into more pressure on your bullpen when they have to cover a starter who left early or the extra outs forced within a reliever's outing.

They were able to get away with terrible RF defense in 2021 (Eaton, Goodwin, Lamb) because that team was mashing the ball, and they scored several runs per game on a regular basis. They played in many blowouts (32 wins were by 5+ runs).  This year they've won 11 blowout games with 2/3 of the season gone. This taxes the bullpen, as each and every pitch is crucial, whereas you're pitching to contact with a large lead. Sheets playing RF on a regular basis adds to the stress. Relievers break down more often as a result, and starters are lifted earlier since they are required to get 1-2 extra outs per outing.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 1:12 PM, ron883 said:

In 8 games in AA, Colas has a whopping 5 HRs and an OPS north of 1.400. The guy is 23 and has experience in the Japan professional league. The Sox called Vaughn right up from A+. Why not Colas? He's lefty and plays a better corner OF than any of the bums currently on this squad. 

HA You been reading my posts ?

On 7/28/2022 at 4:45 PM, SoCalChiSox said:

But if they waited a couple weeks into next season the full year clock wouldn't start until 2024. Thats what we want....to have him rake for awhile in AA and then maybe promote him in September to AAA but then since he had so little time there in the end of the season he will need a little more time next year to work on some things and then you bring him up. 

A LH savage with mega power and a howitzer of an arm in RF is extremely valuable for this team, that extra year is critical. 

I'm surprised at you. Get the LH savage defense and arm and hope the bat responds but even if it doesn't how much worse could it be from Sheets at least we still get the defense.

Plus plenty of RHP against the Indians and Twins down the stretch.

22 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d avoid calling up any young hitters while Menechino is still around.  He already destroyed Sosa in about a week…I wouldn’t let him touch someone as important as Colas.

Colas always has the option of trusting the minor league coaches he seemed to respond well to in AA and ignoring Menechino. Ok coach OK gracias and just go on his merry way.

21 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Honestly, I kind of do.  Feels like they’re keeping around to make him the fall guy this off-season.

uh uh uh . I warned you about this trusting the organization thing. But if you're just hoping their pass the buck nature makes him a scapegoat it's allowable.

13 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

There’s no reason whatsoever to bring up Colas this season IMO. Some of Sox players were brought up too soon and I believe is a reason why some of us call them the dumbest team in baseball. Give him time to develop properly in minors and don’t ruin him. This 2022 team isn’t going anywhere anyway. 

I think its fine to leave him down when the Sox suck and maybe they do suck but we're not supposed to suck and they could use the help. It's still a while til Mid Sept.  I don't expect that OPS to stay at 1.470 but if it stays at .900 or so through AA and through a quick promotion to AAA, I think it's fine to call him up since he has so much Cuban support on the team.

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

uh uh uh . I warned you about this trusting the organization thing. But if you're just hoping their pass the buck nature makes him a scapegoat it's allowable.

I’m assuming they do it out of self preservation.  Honestly, at this point I think the front is complicit in this horrible offensive approach given the lack of change at the hitting coach position.

37 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m assuming they do it out of self preservation.  Honestly, at this point I think the front is complicit in this horrible offensive approach given the lack of change at the hitting coach position.

The low launch angle performance has been incredibly consistent in the statcast era back to 2015. That’s across several hitting coaches and 3 managers. About the only constant is Abreu and Leury over that time.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

The low launch angle performance has been incredibly consistent in the statcast era back to 2015. That’s across several hitting coaches and 3 managers. About the only constant is Abreu and Leury over that time.

Are you suggesting our approach hasn’t gotten more groundball driven in recent years?

50 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Are you suggesting our approach hasn’t gotten more groundball driven in recent years?

What if I told you that their GB/FB ratio was 1.30 this year and 1.38 in 2016 and 1.41 in 2021, and I was too lazy to check other years?

• Fire 1

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d ask you to look up the other years and then check Menechino’s track record as a hitting coach.

@reiks12 - Where you at brother?

2019 - 1.45
2018 - 1.31
2017 - 1.42.
2015 it was 1.61.
2014 - 1.40.

top 10 in the league in ground ball rate going all the way back to Ventura. Every year. This is a specific team philosophy. They bring in guys like Menechino because that is the it’s philosophy. Starts at the top.

2013 was actually a fly ball team. 2014 was Todd Steverson’s first year. Who hired Manto in 2012 and who hired Steverson in 2014?