White Sox among 'most agressive' teams in pitching market

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, southsideirish71 said:

You have a near mid 80s owner who has his bestie who is near 80 running the team.  They are not building for tomorrow.  They will burn it all down to give them a lottery ticket into the dance.  They could be dead by the time these kids are up. Coals/Montgomery/Vera are all fair game to go IMHO.  Hahn is not in charge of this dance.  The GM is the old man in the dugout right now.  Whatever he says we need is what we are getting.  

1 hour ago, RTC said:

They’re going to pull some stupidly aggressive Kenny shit and lose in the wildcard, aren’t they?  Just so they can say “everyone in this front office wants to win”.

But the question (with both of these) is: what is their idea of "burning it all down" or pulling something "stupidly aggressive?" If it's someone truly impactful like Luis Castillo, it would at least make some sense

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He might regress, sure.

But he might have really found something like Loiaza in 2003 that lasts for most of the year.

To say he doesn't give you a better chance than Giolito or Lynn or whoever takes Kopech starts down the stretch is a bit preposterous unless you forget the name and look carefully at the reasons behind the All-Star results.  Plus we need at least one lefty for balance.

That said, Rangers won't just give him away but also aren't forced to trader him if dissatisfied with the returns offered.

Thank you Cueto might regress, Giolito has regressed.Lynn has regressed, Kopech is tiring. As of right now if we had to play the Astro's Perez is my#2 after Cease. He is going to be a free agent and the only way the Rangers keep him is if they think they can compete , not likely.

Plus he's not like some expensive piece like Kimbrel. Ranges paid him $4M  so less than half of that to get him plus. whoever in prospects . The great prospects in a bottom 5 system who are somehow going to win us future pennants and be better than the talent we have now. Hello Mediocrity My Old Friend !

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 hour ago, southsideirish71 said:

You have a near mid 80s owner who has his bestie who is near 80 running the team.  They are not building for tomorrow.  They will burn it all down to give them a lottery ticket into the dance.  They could be dead by the time these kids are up. Coals/Montgomery/Vera are all fair game to go IMHO.  Hahn is not in charge of this dance.  The GM is the old man in the dugout right now.  Whatever he says we need is what we are getting.  

Jerry's goal is maximizing capital gains, not maximizing on field wins.

Sure he'll cherish Konerko's ball, but he'll never love any player more than Adam La Roche who handed him $13M free of charge.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Thank you Cueto might regress, Giolito has regressed.Lynn has regressed, Kopech is tiring. As of right now if we had to play the Astro's Perez is my#2 after Cease. He is going to be a free agent and the only way the Rangers keep him is if they think they can compete , not likely.

Plus he's not like some expensive piece like Kimbrel. Ranges paid him $4M  so less than half of that to get him plus. whoever in prospects . The great prospects in a bottom 5 system who are somehow going to win us future pennants and be better than the talent we have now. Hello Mediocrity My Old Friend !

Or darkness.

This is the end, my only friend, the end.

Jim Morrison

Also terribly overvaluing all prospects not named Montgomery Vera Colas.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

That headline scares me more than a little bit.  This year's team is not the team to go all in for.

Yeah - not gonna lie. My first impression when reading this thread title was “yeah, we can probably get a pretty good return for someone like Lynn.”

7 minutes ago, wegner said:

That headline scares me more than a little bit.  This year's team is not the team to go all in for.

The kids we don’t want traded were mentioned first in the article but I couldn’t get farther before it asked for subscription info.  The headline scares the shit out of me too.  Prepping the fan base through a beat writer for the emptying of the farm?

12 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

The kids we don’t want traded were mentioned first in the article but I couldn’t get farther before it asked for subscription info.  The headline scares the shit out of me too.  Prepping the fan base through a beat writer for the emptying of the farm?

It’s gonna be a very interesting week that we’ll all never forget - that’s for sure.

34 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I've said it before, but have always feared when the time came to make trades, Hahn would trade the wrong guys.  I don't trust him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

I've said it before, but have always feared when the time came to make trades, Hahn would trade the wrong guys.  I don't trust him.

Any faith I had left in Hahn was erased with his fabulous off-season.  I’m practically expecting several awful desperation deals in the next week. 

3 hours ago, RTC said:

They’re going to pull some stupidly aggressive Kenny shit and lose in the wildcard, aren’t they?  Just so they can say “everyone in this front office wants to win”.

Nah every team is sweating out the other ones. If you have free agents pending you move them for something or you keep them and gain nothing. Highest last minute bid gets whoever it is.

Teams asking for the moon with multi year guys like Happ,Castillo, Montas got teams who want them. They wait, they're daring the teams to hold onto the player and run the risk injury and gain or next to nothing next year. Teams holding those guys say Ok I guess you don't want to win bad enough.

Basically 100% of the board is going to be upset one way or another.

Do nothing upset , do something upset.

We whine about the team screwing up this window but no one wants to give them a chance to fix it.

The fan base is terrified, Afraid the team is too stupid to make a smart trade.

What I hear mostly is do nothing ever, 3rd place in this crap division or lower is fine for the next 10 years as long as we keep our prospects, like this is the fucking rebuild again.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Are there any fan favorites ?

There was someone in a thread last night saying Eloy is their favorite player and if he got dealt it would affect his fandom going forward. Obviously that isn't a reason not to make trades, but I think fans have differing levels of attachment to all of the core guys.

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

There was someone in a thread last night saying Eloy is their favorite player and if he got dealt it would affect his fandom going forward. Obviously that isn't a reason not to make trades, but I think fans have differing levels of attachment to all of the core guys.

I like Eloy as well but the reason I don't want him traded at this point is that they would be selling low.