White Sox among 'most agressive' teams in pitching market

southsider2k5

The Yankees are getting 1 hit by the Royals at home going into the bottom of the 9th… they’ve lost 10 of their last 15 and they’ll win this game…

Because they don’t have morons getting gunned down at third base while they’ve fallen asleep.

They don’t have a manager who is 94 years old.

18 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

There was someone in a thread last night saying Eloy is their favorite player and if he got dealt it would affect his fandom going forward. Obviously that isn't a reason not to make trades, but I think fans have differing levels of attachment to all of the core guys.

Yea Tray who got some bad news from his doctor.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

Even if that brought us a World Series championship this season??

Can you imagine. Tony gets extended eight more years through 2040, the three former Cardinals through 2030. Statues and numbers retired for #4, #5 and #50, Sox unretiring Luke Appling's number and bulldozing his statue to accommodate. Replacing Katz with Dave Duncan's four year old great great grandson to "keep the line moving" as Ed would say.

Side Note: Didn't realize the Cardinals retired Tony La Russa's number. Then again, he actually won a post season series in Saint Louis. That better not happen here (the number part).

15 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Exactly the same from me as well.

Exactly the opposite from me .Hold onto him for what ? Get injured 4 more times in the next 2 years ? Butcher balls in the OF ? Collide with Robert ?  Trip over a base ? Injure himself saying Hi Mom ? If you can't dump Eloy who can you dump ? We can find reasons not to dump anyone. Just because he may hit 35 HR one  year when he manages not to break himself ?

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Exactly the opposite from me .Hold onto him for what ? Get injured 4 more times in the next 2 years ? Butcher balls in the OF ? Collide with Robert ?  Trip over a base ? Injure himself saying Hi Mom ? If you can't dump Eloy who can you dump ? We can find reasons not to dump anyone. Just because he may hit 35 HR one  year when he manages not to break himself ?

I think the return you'd get for him right now would be minimal, and there's still a very high ceiling with him as a hitter. Move Vaughn to 1B, Eloy can DH full-time, and then see how next season plays out. I would also want to see how he performs with a more modern hitting coach and hopefully revamped medical staff in place.

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

I think the return you'd get for him right now would be minimal, and there's still a very high ceiling with him as a hitter. Move Vaughn to 1B, Eloy can DH full-time, and then see how next season plays out. I would also want to see how he performs with a more modern hitting coach and hopefully revamped medical staff in place.

Say it ain’t so Jose.

11 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Yea I guess I just don't care . I am well aware of potential returns. What's he worth healthy anyway as a DH? Trade him now before another year makes him even more worthless and let some other team gamble on his upside Some of these guys who can only DH have to be moved and I'd rather Vaughn be the DH because he can stay healthy. Just ride Abreu out until Vaughn can take over 1st base.

SO the master plan is to fire the whole staff and Eloy lets new magic hands heal his GB rate and his body. Come on now.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

3 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

We’re not anywhere close to being a World Series team. The scariest part is that Hahn doesn’t realize it, and is liable to screw up the future as well. 

SO give me your suggestion ? 3rd place or worse for 5 more years? Rebuild ? What future are you talking about to screw up ?

20 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

SO give me your suggestion ? 3rd place or worse for 5 more years? Rebuild ? What future are you talking about to screw up ?

I would sell off veteran parts. The roster construction is broken as is. Get some young pieces, sign some FAs, and potentially use the assets you accumulate this trade deadline this winter/next deadline. That’s undoubtedly the best asset management approach. If we try being aggressive now we’ll trade $3.00 for a front loaded $0.70

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Are there any fan favorites ?

I think it's pretty safe to call Jose Abreu a fan favorite.  He certainly is this fan's favorite player. 

55 minutes ago, wegner said:

I like Eloy as well but the reason I don't want him traded at this point is that they would be selling low.

My patience has worn very thin with Eloy. I wouldn't trade him for nothing,  but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to dangle him and take a decent offer. He's a RHH (in a RHH heavy lineup) with OPS+ of 99 and 81 in the last two seasons,  who will make 22.5 million over the next two years, can't stay healthy and is an absolute butcher on defense when he is healthy. Reduce the 1B/DH glut, plus it might be a wake up call to some of the other players too. 

1 hour ago, NCsoxfan said:

I would sell off veteran parts. The roster construction is broken as is. Get some young pieces, sign some FAs, and potentially use the assets you accumulate this trade deadline this winter/next deadline. That’s undoubtedly the best asset management approach. If we try being aggressive now we’ll trade $3.00 for a front loaded $0.70

So u want to rebuild again and the multiple championship window is closed after 2 years and nothing resembling the multiple championships and sustained success that was supposed to happen. Am I getting this right ?

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So u want to rebuild again and the multiple championship window is closed after 2 years and nothing resembling the multiple championships and sustained success that was supposed to happen. Am I getting this right ?

I don't condone rebuilding again already but you know the funny thing is those rebuilding teams were a helluva more fun to watch than this squad.  And that's just sad.  I don't know how many times I've turned this team off or just avoided them altogether and I was really looking forward to this season.

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

32 minutes ago, wegner said:

I don't condone rebuilding again already but you know the funny thing is those rebuilding teams were a helluva more fun to watch than this squad.  And that's just sad.  I don't know how many times I've turned this team off or just avoided them altogether and I was really looking forward to this season.

If you don't condone rebuilding again then people have to take a stance. You either trust that Hahn can use some pieces to get a few LHH who can play who aren't ancient, nab some kind of starting pitcher and a relief pitcher and with some better performances by Eloy, Grandal and Moncada and improved lineup you take your shot this year.

Or you say Hahn sucks , the whole  organization sucks try again next year and move closer to oblivion than we are now by keeping all these wonderful prospects in a bottom 5 system with all the departed pitching and the same guys running the show who couldn't come close to doing the rebuild like the Astros and Cubs did.

I don't care how disappointing the team has been. There are enough pieces and the division is crappy enough to win and I'll take my chances with Hahn, some 2nd half rebounds and make the playoffs for maybe the last time in a while. I don't think Minnesota is going to stand pat even though their odds of winning a World Series are probably close to the same as ours. Fuck the Twins I'm not going give up and let them win the division.

So I'm disappointed and not entertained , I still think they can win the division They were 8-3 in their last 11 and on their way to 9 of 12 when the game against the Rockies fell apart. A few tweaks, a little health a few guys turning bad halves into good 2nd halves, you're right back to winning baseball. Every prospect not named Colas and Montgomery should be made available and if that's not enough so be it.

Too many people around here say ,so what win the division,  we suck and can't win the World Series anyway. I'm only going to be disappointed again. So what ! That's life as a fan of an organization that sucks. When did everyone turn into Parkman ? We got 1 World Series win in over 100 years, Duh chances are every year we're not going to win the World Series yet we tune in year after year rooting for it. Grow up, either cheer for this team to win despite the odds or just pick the favorite to win in the playoffs every year and when they lose, pick another team so you're not disappointed and as entertained as can be.

19 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Scared what Hahn might end up giving up to try and make up for the season so far

There's a lot worse things to be afraid of. Like the usual White Sox way of never making the playoffs but hey we'll still have Colas ,Vera and Monty. I'm sure they will be healthier and more entertaining on losing teams than Eloy Moncada Grandal and Leury are.I am so looking forward to losing year after year again.

56 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If you don't condone rebuilding again then people have to take a stance. You either trust that Hahn can use some pieces to get a few LHH who can play who aren't ancient, nab some kind of starting pitcher and a relief pitcher and with some better performances by Eloy, Grandal and Moncada and improved lineup you take your shot this year.

Or you say Hahn sucks , the whole  organization sucks try again next year and move closer to oblivion than we are now by keeping all these wonderful prospects in a bottom 5 system with all the departed pitching and the same guys running the show who couldn't come close to doing the rebuild like the Astros and Cubs did.

I don't care how disappointing the team has been. There are enough pieces and the division is crappy enough to win and I'll take my chances with Hahn, some 2nd half rebounds and make the playoffs for maybe the last time in a while. I don't think Minnesota is going to stand pat even though their odds of winning a World Series are probably close to the same as ours. Fuck the Twins I'm not going give up and let them win the division.

So I'm disappointed and not entertained , I still think they can win the division They were 8-3 in their last 11 and on their way to 9 of 12 when the game against the Rockies fell apart. A few tweaks, a little health a few guys turning bad halves into good 2nd halves, you're right back to winning baseball. Every prospect not named Colas and Montgomery should be made available and if that's not enough so be it.

Too many people around here say ,so what win the division,  we suck and can't win the World Series anyway. I'm only going to be disappointed again. So what ! That's life as a fan of an organization that sucks. When did everyone turn into Parkman ? We got 1 World Series win in over 100 years, Duh chances are every year we're not going to win the World Series yet we tune in year after year rooting for it. Grow up, either cheer for this team to win despite the odds or just pick the favorite to win in the playoffs every year and when they lose, pick another team so you're not disappointed and as entertained as can be.

My fear is that Colas and Montgomery are precisely the ones made available for a squad that is not good enough to win this season unless you think they can be used to get Soto?  If they are getting a difference making superstar for 2 1/2 years then I can see that argument.

Every year there are disappointing baseball teams.  What have you seen to make you think this is much more than a .500 club this season?  This is not the season to get aggressive.  Just my opinion.

52 minutes ago, wegner said:

My fear is that Colas and Montgomery are precisely the ones made available for a squad that is not good enough to win this season unless you think they can be used to get Soto?  If they are getting a difference making superstar for 2 1/2 years then I can see that argument.

Every year there are disappointing baseball teams.  What have you seen to make you think this is much more than a .500 club this season?  This is not the season to get aggressive.  Just my opinion.

How many players would be expected to improve with the same coaching staff?

Lynn, Moncada, Grandal, Giolito, Jimenez and Pollock are arguably the most underperforming.

If you run it out there with basically the same team and Colas in RF, will that really be any better?  That’s “all in”?  Really?

Then there’s just as many players who could easily go backwards and/or get injured again, right?

1 hour ago, wegner said:

Hahn had the chance to improve the team and he arguably has made the team worse last offseason. His moves most certainly made both the current and future teams worse in July 2021.

Quite frankly, I'd rather have him sell off players over 27 beyond Abreu at this point (unless he understandably would want to pursue a WS elsewhere before he retires) than I would have him sell off our best players under 27. May have the added benefit of pushing Tony toward resigning after the season, better still next week for "health reasons". Add what you can with minimal cost, but stop with the Ryan Pace bullshit.

This coupled with more payroll flexibility and having three months to formulate the first solid offseason plan since 2004-2005 would give the Sox a far more realistic shot at a WS than adding a few overpriced veterans to nudge the 1-2% WS needle they are pegged this season, and mortgaging the future further.