White Sox among 'most agressive' teams in pitching market

southsider2k5

7 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

The White Sox resources with the Guardians front office + coaching + player dev staff would win the AL Central every year.

Its maddening that they don't poach any of that coaching/dev staff.  Or at least model how they do things after Cleveland or StL.  They would own the ALC every single year.

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

Its maddening that they don't poach any of that coaching/dev staff.  Or at least model how they do things after Cleveland or StL.  They would own the ALC every single year.

They finally poached someone good with Katz, at least. Andy Barkett seems to be doing good things with the hitting development in the minor leagues. But of course because it's the White Sox, they can't ever get coaching & development synced up throughout the entire organization.

• Like 3
  • Hawk 1

14 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

It is going to be very difficult to “reform” this team in the offseason.

One thing they need to do to make it a little easier is to trade Abreu.  Yea, let him know ahead of time, but move him.  I don't give a rip about his "leadership" - not sure how great it's been anyway, and the young players may breath easier with papa gone.
Call the Brewers, Rays, etc.

A week ago, it could also have been the top 3 relievers, but they have turned to dust all of a sudden.

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

One thing they need to do to make it a little easier is to trade Abreu.  Yea, let him know ahead of time, but move him.  I don't give a rip about his "leadership" - not sure how great it's been anyway, and the young players may breath easier with papa gone.

A week ago, it could also have been the top 3 relievers, but they have turned to dust all of a sudden.

There is zero chance we trade Abreu while captain chaos owns the team.   Remember, this is the same guy who has, on multiple occasions, sabotaged teams to save a buck or to take action on organized labor.   This is an old man who gives zero fucks about the fan.  This is a toy he gets to play with from time to time.  

9 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Jose is the guy who finishes ballgames.

Tim must be the other one.

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Portillo’s dropping some late night bombs:

In all honesty, acquiring either guy would scare me.  The Mahle price seems like it would be insane (especially if the Twins are also involved) and I worry that Thor will be limited come October like Kopech and not worth the ultimate cost.

Thor sucks, mahle can't be that expensive and im a big fan.

13 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Thor sucks, mahle can't be that expensive and im a big fan.

Mahle won't be a free agent until after next season, which I assume you know. That has to make one think that he wouldn't come cheap.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 9:17 PM, GreenSox said:

Abreu is still the best hitter in the lineup and on the field every day. Need more guys like him but younger. The core are the ones who suck and that can't be pinned on Abreu. This year its all about bad production and injuries from Eloy, Moncada and Grandal that have killed the lineup.

Menechino and TLR must go along with the coaching staff. These guys need more Latin leaders as coaches. Eloy and Moncada did better under Renteria.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

13 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Mahle won't be a free agent until after next season, which I assume you know. That has to make one think that he wouldn't come cheap.

Yep the Sox need 1 starting pitcher, 1 relief pitcher and at least 1 LH bat. Anyone who isn't a rental is pretty much off the table if you want to be able to acquire the other 2. Realistically even Quitana is probably off the table. Too much competition for starting pitching.

So knowing the Sox they end up with 2 rental relievers who cost the least. Hard to see them addressing the LH hitting need at all unless they can get Joey Wendle who has a mutual option for 2023.The only other serious option is hoping Colas can continue to hit in AA ,get a fast promotion to AAA , hits there and becomes an option for a Sept. call up.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yep the Sox need 1 starting pitcher, 1 relief pitcher and at least 1 LH bat. Anyone who isn't a rental is pretty much off the table if you want to be able to acquire the other 2. Realistically even Quitana is probably off the table. Too much competition for starting pitching.

So knowing the Sox they end up with 2 rental relievers who cost the least. Hard to see them addressing the LH hitting need at all unless they can get Joey Wendle who has a mutual option for 2023.The only other serious option is hoping Colas can continue to hit in AA ,get a fast promotion to AAA , hits there and becomes an option for a Sept. call up.

Who leaves the rotation this week if they acquire a starter and what do they do with them? No sarcasm, serious Q. The guys who are struggling aren’t hurt. Kopech is on a good innings pace and only needs a little time off to hit 140 innings this year. 

44 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Who leaves the rotation this week if they acquire a starter and what do they do with them? No sarcasm, serious Q. The guys who are struggling aren’t hurt. Kopech is on a good innings pace and only needs a little time off to hit 140 innings this year. 

Depends on the Starting pitcher acquired but as I said I don't think they acquire one.  We are hearing rumors on Q. With Lynn and Gio not pitching  particularly well lately and the Kopech situation you really never know, especially if the Sox make the playoffs. His velocity has been down and it's still iffy how long he could last despite Katz assuring us that his innings won't have to being managed all that much. It's only a slightly better situation than managing Rodon's innings last year and they didn't do so hot keeping his innings down.

Q could be a guy to pair with Kopech with Kopech going 4 or 5 innings and Q pitching after him or vice versa. Also insurance in case Gio, Lynn or any other starter gets injured.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Depends on the Starting pitcher acquired but as I said I don't think they acquire one.  We are hearing rumors on Q. With Lynn and Gio not pitching  particularly well lately and the Kopech situation you really never know, especially if the Sox make the playoffs. His velocity has been down and it's still iffy how long he could last despite Katz assuring us that his innings won't have to being managed all that much. It's only a slightly better situation than managing Rodon's innings last year and they didn't do so hot keeping his innings down.

Q could be a guy to pair with Kopech with Kopech going 4 or 5 innings and Q pitching after him or vice versa. Also insurance in case Gio, Lynn or any other starter gets injured.

Given the price that the Mariners just paid for a starter and the number of teams who could use one, it seems like this will cost a lot to bring a pretty limited benefit - unless they’re ready to put Lynn in the bullpen the rest of the way.

52 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I love the idea of a six man rotation through Labor Day. Assuming all remain healthy, break it down to five man on Labour Day and transition your preferred long man option for October into the bullpen. Sox were on fumes in September / October the past two seasons.

Several teams are going six man, makes sense with the weird past three (2 1/2) seasons.

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Portillo’s dropping some late night bombs:

In all honesty, acquiring either guy would scare me.  The Mahle price seems like it would be insane (especially if the Twins are also involved) and I worry that Thor will be limited come October like Kopech and not worth the ultimate cost.

The hitters they're looking at are puke worthy. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

If they scrape the bottom of the barrel on the position players, hopefully it’s coupled with signing Conforto. 

I really don't understand why they didn't go get Peralta or Naquin if those are the hitters they're looking to acquire. Offense is a bigger problem than starting pitching at this point. It won't matter how good your starters are if you struggle to put up 3 runs almost every game. 

7 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I really don't understand why they didn't go get Peralta or Naquin if those are the hitters they're looking to acquire. Offense is a bigger problem than starting pitching at this point. It won't matter how good your starters are if you struggle to put up 3 runs almost every game. 

Yeah, frankly I don’t really even think a SP is necessary. Wouldn’t hurt especially someone like Mahle who is around next year to take Cuetos spot, but we’re in agreement that a left handed stick that can actually hit is more important. 

1 minute ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Conforto does nothing to help the team this season

He may be able to DH, and I like the idea of having an actual starting RF for the first time since Avisail Garcia, and not watching Hahn sign Jake Lamb or Nick Markakis as his RF solution this offseason.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/right-field/

0% on Judge, so Robbie Grossman and Nimmo are your two options beyond promoting Colas after two months of AA or a trade Hahn is likely to lose.

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Given the price that the Mariners just paid for a starter and the number of teams who could use one, it seems like this will cost a lot to bring a pretty limited benefit - unless they’re ready to put Lynn in the bullpen the rest of the way.

That's why I said they might not get a SP particular anyone with multiple years because they won't manage to do that without giving up Montgomery Colas or both of them. Q is the only starter who may not cost those guys. Syndergaard might need innings management too so maybe him. Martin Perez loves Tx and Tx would be fools not to move him since he can return to them next year if he really likes it there, but they want an impact player too, because he's been spectacular, almost as good as Cease.