White Sox among 'most agressive' teams in pitching market

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

What is the pro Tyler Mahle case? Just Bounceback/FIP stuff?

His expected stats are also pretty good. Even better than his DIPS numbers. 

I wouldn't mind getting him, but he's gonna cost a decent amount. I feel like anybody that's not a pure rental will cost a lot prospect-wise if the Castillo trade is any indicator of where the market is. 

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

He's 14th in fWAR amongst SP's over the last 3 years. Interestingly enough he's sandwiched right between Cease (13th) and Lucas (15th). I know he was on the IL with a shoulder issue earlier this year, so assuming the medicals check out, everything in his profile makes him look like a solid #3 with upside for more.

The Sox have 3 older LH hitting outfielders at Charlotte, all who can handle RF, and are having pretty decent offensive years; Payton, Haseley and Neslony. They may have to just gamble that one of them can provide serviceable LH power and RF defense, because it doesn't appear that there is anyone for whom they can trade.

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

He's 14th in fWAR amongst SP's over the last 3 years. Interestingly enough he's sandwiched right between Cease (13th) and Lucas (15th). I know he was on the IL with a shoulder issue earlier this year, so assuming the medicals check out, everything in his profile makes him look like a solid #3 with upside for more.

Actual availability would be nice.

4 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The Sox have 3 older LH hitting outfielders at Charlotte, all who can handle RF, and are having pretty decent offensive years; Payton, Haseley and Neslony. They may have to just gamble that one of them can provide serviceable LH power and RF defense, because it doesn't appear that there is anyone for whom they can trade.

I've been calling for 1 of those 3 to come up & platoon with Pollock for over a month. I'd still rather trade for Gallo or Happ instead, but if the Sox choose not to go down that path, I'd like to see one of those 3 get a chance in Chicago as well.

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

Shoulder injuries scare me. But maybe that'll lower Mahle's price just enough where it's realistic for the Sox to land him.

Can’t express how much good content I’d write about the Sox declining Rodons QO, then trading an exorbitant sum for Mahle post shoulder

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Can’t express how much good content I’d write about the Sox declining Rodons QO, then trading an exorbitant sum for Mahle post shoulder

Montas is the other pitcher we know they're interested in, and guess what type of injury he just came off the IL for? 🙂

13 minutes ago, Lillian said:

If they didn't have a DH or 1B Sheets would make more sense. He just doesn't fit this roster at all. He also sucks.

31 minutes ago, bmags said:

Does well away from CIN.  Granted, Sox park may just be as hitter-friendly.

I would personally pass but splits can see how a GM out there may want to take a chance.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=mahlety01&year=Career&t=p

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

That said depending on cost I would not mind Mahle. Going on positive regression is not a bad idea, but is risky. That is of course what the braves did!

Or he ends up with the Twins or Guardians instead since both teams have the necessary prospect capital to pull it off.

And yeah, the Braves were still under .500 at this point last year.

We won’t hear that about one quadrillion times, will we?

1 minute ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

Does well away from CIN.  Granted, Sox park may just be as hitter-friendly.

I would personally pass but splits can see how a GM out there may want to take a chance.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=mahlety01&year=Career&t=p

The funny retort here is the Sox targeting a player who performs the worst at home.

52 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Or he ends up with the Twins or Guardians instead since both teams have the necessary prospect capital to pull it off.

And yeah, the Braves were still under .500 at this point last year.

We won’t hear that about one quadrillion times, will we?

Good thing the Sox aren’t under .500 then!

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

I doubt he’s a major leaguer but I’ve enjoyed following Payton this season. Dude plays everyday and has gotten the job done. I know September rosters aren’t as expanded as they used to be, but fuckina, depending on how the roster looks at that point I’d give him a 40 man spot over some of the trash relievers that somehow are still on it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

There's 1 player rumored to be available that hits left handed, has a higher career wRC+ than every name you listed, and has an extensive track record of playing plus defense in RF. Did I also mention that this player is only 28, so he's in the prime of his career?

joeygallo.png

I think the prime of your career is determined by the years you do best, that place where your physical ability meshes with your understanding of the game and your health. :)

27 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think the prime of your career is determined by the years you do best, that place where your physical ability meshes with your understanding of the game and your health. :)

He was a 4 win player last season. Guys rarely ever fall off a cliff at 28. For whatever reason he hasn't been a good fit playing in New York, but I think it's very unlikely that he's just lost all ability to play baseball. Get Gallo out of an environment that's turned toxic for him, let regression do its thing, and I think he'll be a very good player again. The good version of him also does a lot of what the Sox badly need out of RF.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

He was a 4 win player last season. Guys rarely ever fall off a cliff at 28. For whatever reason he hasn't been a good fit playing in New York, but I think it's very unlikely that he's just lost all ability to play baseball. Get Gallo out of an environment that's turned toxic for him, let regression do its thing, and I think he'll be a very good player again. The good version of him also does a lot of what the Sox badly need out of RF.

And should cost basically nothing.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

We also keep talking about Moncada's 4 War season.Maybe we need that Moncada to show himself and 2020 Eloy and 2021 Grandal, Gio and Lynn.

2021 Pollock would be nice too. Just blame the ball I suppose, Covid, CBA, sticky stuff, JR/LaRussa, the baseball , Rick Hahn's Craig Kimbrel disaster and the Off season from hell.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1