What Will it Take for You to Give Up?

Texsox

Right or wrong, anyone who watches every pitch has completely given up.  It has been an absolute dismal season with very, very few bright spots.

Fans that spend more time talking about the Sox on the internet than they do watching baseball definitely look at our 50% chance of winning the division and feel we obviously still have a chance.  

I haven't given up, but I would be more interested in selling than buying.  The idea of trading anything of value at this point feels like chasing. 

Edited by GREEDY
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Right or wrong, anyone who watches every pitch has completely given up.  It has been an absolute dismal season with very, very few bright spots and the slightest of slite glimmers of hope remaining. 

Fans that spend more time talking about the Sox on the internet than they do watching baseball definitely look at our 50% chance of winning the division and feel we obviously still have a chance.  

I haven't given up, but I would be more interested in selling than buying.  The idea of trading anything of value at this point feels like chasing. 

I watch damn near every pitch and I haven’t given up. They could be tied for the division lead in 60 hours. Far too early to give up considering the division. 

That doesn’t mean I don’t think this team has been dog shit all season. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

I have a son who will be two in November and he eats up a lot of my wife and my time. When we put him down for the evening, I watch the Sox over watching NetFlix. I mostly read the news and look up when they are trailing or they are winning, but if it is close I watch it. If the bullpen blows it, a starter gets shelled or the team isn’t hitting, I’ll go do chores around the house and turn Len and DJ on.

I went to one game for my birthday this year. On Monday, a friend asked if I wanted to go tonight but my son was sick so we didn’t get tickets. After watching last night’s game I didn’t want to go but I would have since my friend hasn’t gone to one this year, but he couldn’t find a babysitter. I enjoy 6:10 starts on Saturday instead of 1:10s so this would have been a good one.

I don’t think they will do a tear down or sell/buy at the deadline, but I do think they need to retool. I wouldn’t pay Giolito and would spend more on starting pitching next year. I still think they need a right fielder. They might need to deal one of the younger core to get different talent in here. TLR needs to leave and JR needs to sell the team or croak. I’m not sure how they fix the team otherwise.

I haven’t paid less attention to a white sox season in 15 years. I didn’t expect that to happening during a contention window, but here we are.

That said, I don’t really consider it “giving up,” the Sox just aren’t demanding my attention like they typically have. I’m just doing other stuff.

• Like 1

I've been trying to stay positive, but I just couldn't believe how bad they looked last night . it kind of woke me up to the fact that this severely flawed team is going nowhere . if this team finishes above .500, I will be surprised . Right now, i'm just worried that Hahn/Williams might trade one or both of maybe Sosa or Colas, trying to salvage, what we all know, is a doomed season . I don't trust either one of those dickheads.

Unless something amazing happens between now and Tuesday evening I won't be engaged. I'll cheer the inevitable re-re-retirement announcement of TLR. I imagine a top tier FA signing may get me back excited. But they may have lost me for good this time. And by that I mean downloading schedules, checking box scores daily, planning Chicago trips around homestands etc. I don't see myself engaging with the Astros or any other team and strongly as I did the Sox. I see it more and easing away from MLB baseball. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

This team is 3.0 out with 2 months left to play.  Cleveland rumored to be selling.  Twins finally playing real teams and not KC/DET every day. 

Get away from the ledge people.  Panic button can’t be hit until mid-September.

Tell me you haven't watched the White Sox this year without saying that you haven't watched the White Sox. 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Tell me you haven't watched the White Sox this year without saying that you haven't watched the White Sox. 

Women's Murder Club and The Good Witch are really good series. 

First let me just say this is a great thread and everyone's position is fair and justified as a fan. My own attitude is currently apathy. I really don't care too much about the Sox right now. I find myself oddly pulling up Mets or Dodgers highlights and listening to Mariners games to get a feel for some baseball. I'm not rooting for those teams at all; I can't root for anybody but the Sox that was planted in me by age 10 or so -- but I can enjoy other teams playing good fun baseball still.

With Euro soccer season and NFL and CFB starting up my interest in baseball in general will probably only last another few weeks. Maybe I'll pick up some of the playoff interest come October.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I get all the “Fire Tony” chants, he’s made quite a few head scratching calls this season. It’s pretty clear, he’s anti metrics and trusts his “gut” more.  Gee, way to utilize resources, old man! This guy is borderline narcissistic and ridiculously stubborn. Time to move on from this bizarre attempt to right a wrong from 30+ years ago. Unfortunately, the Sox issues go behind TLR. 
I truly don’t understand why Jerry puts these financial limits on the team when they netted well over $180-$200 million in profits during the rebuild. And even if JR did go cheap, (and we all know he never lets his GM’s sign the megastars),

Rick Hahn and KW have a top 10 payroll this year. Their offseason’s attempt to augment the roster was pathetic. The issues with the roster were obvious after that butt whooping by Houston in the ALDS, yet they only focused on the bullpen and bench. And let’s be honest, Harrison is a bench player at this stage of his career. They had plenty of opportunities to sign free agents, make bold trades and bolster the rotation, but they sat on their hands and cried poor. The Pollock trade was okay at the time. At least they got something decent back from Kimbrel, but the RF hole should have been filled by a lefty slugger. 
The plethora of injuries this team seems to always have is another major issue with this organization. Why can’t these guys stay healthy? Are they soft? Do they not train enough? TLR openly admitting these guys don’t hustle down to first base to avoid injury is embarrassing.  
A new regime is long overdue. Can we trust Hahn to re-tool when his original rebuild and roster construction failed? Why do the Padres, Cardinals, and Dodgers always have the right pieces to land the big fish in trades? Why can’t the Sox develop the prospects to become desirable pieces to other clubs? It seems like only the top international guys and first/second rounders are the ones who make it… Is it a bad organizational approach? Is it piss poor scouting? Shitty coaching? I just don’t get it. 

The day Jerry sells the organization will be a beautiful day. (Assuming the Sox stay in the Chicagoland area). It’s obvious his loyalty to people who aren’t very good at their jobs is what’s hurting this team and it’s fans. KW, Hahn and TLR all need to go. But for that to happen, Jerry needs to go first. And I don’t think that’s happening anytime soon. And if Michael Reinsdorf eventually takes over, whose to say he won’t carry on his Daddy’s legacy by keeping around his Daddy’s favorite people? If that happens— don’t expect much change. 
So here’s to us, waiting around, hoping  Hahn makes decent trades this weekend. I mean, do we have a choice as die hard sox fans? 

• Like 1

I've checked out mentally. I won't feel like an ingrate if the Sox 'somehow' get their act together and win. I still try to watch on mlb.com when I can but the fact Robert has been out again (sadly Eloy's next injury is about due) and the injuries keep happening coupled with very very boring games made me realize a while back this team blows.

Baseball is a funny game (credit to Uecker) and that is the 'only' reason I consider a playoff spot possible. But believe me I've checked out. Sox are mediocre at best and a very very lousy baseball team. Not sure what's worst, the makeup of the roster or the way the guys hit and pitch. It doesn't take a smart baseball mind to see the team is built to lose.

Prove me and others wrong, White Sox. We are fans and deserve to change our minds if you show some life. Up to now most people would say we are not out of line for hating on this wretched team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I see it more and easing away from MLB baseball. 

Something is wrong with MLB. I will whine on and on, but it's just not entertaining. Could it return to the game I enjoyed? I doubt it. Pitchers apparently have morphed into physical beings incapable of pitching more than 5 2/3 and I used to very much enjoy a well orchestrated complete game or 8 inning masterpiece with ONE reliever mopping up. today's game is incapable of giving me that I guess cause of evolution of the arm (incapable of going deep in games). Also the shift is not annoying, it's laughable. ... As long as lefty hitters refuse to bunt when there's one guy standing on shortstop as the only guy capable of throwing out the hitter, I'll laugh my ass off rather than be entertained by his hitting a bullet to the right side for the easy out. ... No more stolen bases ... no more triples ... just strikeouts and walks and HRs (this year a bit diffrent cause of the dead ball).

Baseball is horrendously dull. It makes no sense that I'm still watching. Whiners are not enjoyable to be around and I am a whiner about the pastime.

2 hours ago, ThatBallHitDeep_WAYBack said:

This team is 3.0 out with 2 months left to play.  Cleveland rumored to be selling.  Twins finally playing real teams and not KC/DET every day. 

Get away from the ledge people.  Panic button can’t be hit until mid-September.

Just shut up please. You obviously aren’t watching this garbage.

7 hours ago, reiks12 said:

I will always be a Sox fan, but I won't spend a dime on this team until Jerry croaks or sells. I have already given up as far as this window is concerned because this last offseason made it obvious Rick Hahn is not good at free agent signings. Our farm is starting to show life as far as potential goes, so at least its not all doom and gloom for the future.

Still, a new owner and FO would bring me back to traveling to chicago to see games and spending on merch

Just by consuming the game on TV or radio or even a simple click at the box score on the internet counts towards putting some sort of $s into Jerry's pockets.

44 minutes ago, T R U said:

Just shut up please. You obviously aren’t watching this garbage.

Shut up? One, that is rude and secondly, while some of us are greatly disappointed with the season so far, we are cheering for better results. Bottom line: we were hyped into believing this (really unproven) team was better than it is. For one, I like watching when they have a chance to get to the playoffs. Do you know how many years that hasn’t been the case?

• Fire 1