Colson Montgomery #43 on Keith Law's Top 60 update

maxjusttyped

43. Colson Montgomery, SS, Chicago White Sox

Previous ranking: Unranked

Montgomery was the White Sox’s first-round pick in 2021, out of an Indiana high school, and the 20-year-old has shown plus defense at short and an advanced approach at the plate. After a mid-June promotion, he’s hitting .298/.423/.464 at High A, with more walks than strikeouts. He was supposed to be more power than hit, but he controls the barrel well enough that I think he’s going to continue to hit for average and get on base, with maybe 15-20 homer power – which makes him an above-average regular, at least.

https://theathletic.com/3461142/2022/08/01/mlb-top-prospects-2022-minor-leaguers/

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Bryan Ramos also got some love as an honorable mention. 60 names were ranked & 10 honorable mentions. That would lead me to think he would be on a Top 100 if Law expanded it out that far.

I’ve been saying it for a while now, but Ramos is going to start cracking top 100 lists by the end of the year.  Fangraphs had him as our #1 prospect entering the season and now has him only behind Montgomery (ranked #81 overall) in their latest update.  Baseball America has him #2 in their mid-season update as well.  I think if Colas continues to hit well in AA, he’ll jump onto most top 100 lists and will likely be viewed as the consensus #2 prospect in the system.  Still, three top 100 caliber prospects is a massive improvement from where we were entering the season.

• Like 3

Here was this from greensox

On 7/4/2022 at 8:35 AM, GreenSox said:

Someone asked on what whether  Montgomery would be in his midseason top 100:  "in a word, no."  What I glean from the (very positive) write-up is that he just hasn't proven enough yet  against quality competition.

Said Colas had "trouble with the curve" which is I guess not surprising.  

https://meadowparty.com/blog/

Just search for Montgomery.  It's on the first page.  He made 2 comments; the dismissive one and then a positive evaluation.

Beyond this love, our  farm is really getting better.  Shirley knows what he’s doing and Paddy always has.  I think the Charlotte dog-and-pony-show obscures it.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ve been saying it for a while now, but Ramos is going to start cracking top 100 lists by the end of the year.  Fangraphs had him as our #1 prospect entering the season and now has him only behind Montgomery (ranked #81 overall) in their latest update.  Baseball America has him #2 in their mid-season update as well.  I think if Colas continues to hit well in AA, he’ll jump onto most top 100 lists and will likely be viewed as the consensus #2 prospect in the system.  Still, three top 100 caliber prospects is a massive improvement from where we were entering the season.

Our guys have moved onto the list with their performance which is encouraging.  Our young pitchers from last few drafts really struggled their first couple years though they seem to be improving.  Not enough depth but I could see 3-4 of this years draft in our top 15 which will probably be needed post deadline.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bmags said:

Wasn’t Law asked a few weeks ago if Colson would make his prospects list and he dismissively said “in a word, no”

I heard Law probably 3 weeks ago on with Waddle and Silvy and he made a quick comment on Colson saying "The White Sox probably wouldn't move him at the deadline as he looks like he has the makings of a star." which seemed surprising to me at the time, coming from him. 

15 minutes ago, Tony said:

I heard Law probably 3 weeks ago on with Waddle and Silvy and he made a quick comment on Colson saying "The White Sox probably wouldn't move him at the deadline as he looks like he has the makings of a star." which seemed surprising to me at the time, coming from him. 

All of his writing on him has been extremely positive. He has been the only one to really promote his defense, everyone else is still relying on body type to guess he'll slide. But it was why I was surprised with how positive the writing has been that he was gonna be so dismissive to the idea he's top 100. 

Then again, Colson's july was tremendous, and Greensox was pointing to 7/3. A month, especially in higher competition, can actually matter.