White Sox tried to trade for Ohtani

southsider2k5

I wonder if the Ohtani offer was pending an extension negotiation period,  so it never was a real offer?

We would have happily given up Robert, Kopech etc if Ohtani was going to sign a 5 year 150 million dollar extension.  

Edited by GREEDY

Here's something I've come to figure out about the Sox FO.  They decide what they're willing to offer in a trade or free agent signing instead of offering what it takes to get the deal done.  They'll say we'll offer you this and when it gets turned down they'll say oh well we tried.  They want deals on their own terms and aren't willing to do whatever it takes to get it done. This "strategy" is one of the main reasons why they're fighting for their playoff lives instead of being one of the best teams in the league in year thousand of the damn rebuild.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Here's something I've come to figure out about the Sox FO.  They decide what they're willing to offer in a trade or free agent signing instead of offering what it takes to get the deal done.  They'll say we'll offer you this and when it gets turned down they'll say oh well we tried.  They want deals on their own terms and aren't willing to do whatever it takes to get it done. This "strategy" is one of the main reasons why they're fighting for their playoff lives instead of being one of the best teams in the league in year thousand of the damn rebuild.

I think it's worse than that. I think sox start at "what are we willing to give up this offseason/deadline", then just shop that around until they find a match. Whatever this aggressive package was...I'm sure it will be the seeds of the next deal for a guy 50% as good.

13 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

You better stay out of White Sox Business. 

• Haha 1

lol, very typical KW move

trade away all of our young talent for 1 guy

that doesn't push the sox closer to a championship, not even remotely.  in fact it would move the team in the opposite direction

it puts asses in seats I guess, which is their number 1 priority

I'm on the flip side here, I'm glad they tried to trade for ohtani. The angels did not trade ohtani, and that sucks. But the sox were 'sposeda use the benefit of having a young, cost-controlled core to allow big game hunting. Instead they splurged comfortably on depth and bullpen and are still starving for more depth and bullpen. 

27 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I tried to win the 1.3 billion dollar Powerball this past weekend but just could not quite win it.

I went up to Des Plaines and offered my White Sox Baseball Card collection for 50% of the winning ticket, but the owner passed on my offer.

I tried, though perhaps I should have thrown in my Comiskey Park and Chicago Stadium bricks.

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm on the flip side here, I'm glad they tried to trade for ohtani. The angels did not trade ohtani, and that sucks. But the sox were 'sposeda use the benefit of having a young, cost-controlled core to allow big game hunting. Instead they splurged comfortably on depth and bullpen and are still starving for more depth and bullpen. 

I agree. Trying to acquire someone of his talent is never ever a bad thing. Besides the seat at the table jokes and the fact that people don't think we have enough to offer in minors I don't see a decent point yet posted here besides this one. 

33 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sox fans love to get worked up about worthless mentions of the Sox tied to elite talent. 

Helps distract fans from the sub-par product they usually put on the field. 

If Ohtani stayed healthy, wow. I really love him as a player/pitcher. So do we all, right? However, if I were the Angels, I would have asked for Colas, Rodriguez and Vera, plus, yes, Robert. If I were the Sox I'd replace Robert with Grandal, Kelly and Graveman.

So Ohtani for Colas, Vera, Rodriguez, Grandal, Kelly and Graveman. Would u do that trade? Ohtani is pretty good.

• Haha 2