Reese McGuire (+ Taylor Broadway) to Red Sox for LHRP Jake Diekman

Buehrle>Wood

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

As a lefty signed thru 24 to pair with Bummer, I wonder if this is a pre-move for something Crochet related, either including him in a trade, or keeping him in the minors next year to start.

Does anyone really believe Hahn would engage in such long-term thinking?

You don't trade a highly compromised asset for fifty to seventy five cents on the collar.

Outside of that little spurt at the beginning of the year, Reese seemed pretty meh.  Plenty of defensive guys out there with no bat.   It’s not like we’re letting one get away here.  

Nice job Seby

Edited by Jerksticks

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Secondary? Crochet is a pretty major piece by himself. 

I guess I'm not as high on him at this point as others are.

As a starter he's realistically not going to contribute in 2023 or 2024. He's a 2-pitch pitcher who needs innings and a third pitch (changeup) to develop into a mid+ rotation starter, and he's got to build his arm up basically from scratch off of TJ after basically never having thrown a full professional starter's workload (max of 65 IP since his college debut in 2018).

Oh, and he'll be in his age 26 season by the time he's "built up and ready to go" in 2025.

Generally I consider centerpieces of deals to be:

1. 2 or fewer years removed from being a big league player at their long-term position (in this case, starter)
  2. Have some sort of professional track record in his long-term big league position (in this case, starter)

He's neither of those, so I'm considering him a secondary piece in any meaningful trading deadline deal

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I guess I'm not as high on him at this point as others are.

As a starter he's realistically not going to contribute in 2023 or 2024. He's a 2-pitch pitcher who needs innings and a third pitch (changeup) to develop into a mid+ rotation starter, and he's got to build his arm up basically from scratch off of TJ after basically never having thrown a full professional starter's workload (max of 65 IP since his college debut in 2018).

Oh, and he'll be in his age 26 season by the time he's "built up and ready to go" in 2025.

Generally I consider centerpieces of deals to be:

1. 2 or fewer years removed from being a big league player at their long-term position (in this case, starter)
  2. Have some sort of professional track record in his long-term big league position (in this case, starter)

He's neither of those, so I'm considering him a secondary piece in any meaningful trading deadline deal

Mmmmk

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I assume you’re looking at bWAR…if so, don’t look at fWAR

CWS, you cant honestly be upset about this deal? We got a lefty reliever with a track record for a dude we were going to have to DFA or phantom IL in the coming days. We also have Perez in AAA, we don’t need 4 MLB catchers . Diekman isn’t anything to get excited about and don’t love the $4M in 23, but it’s a fine move. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

CWS, you cant honestly be upset about this deal? We got a lefty reliever with a track record for a dude we were going to have to DFA or phantom IL in the coming days. We also have Perez in AAA, we don’t need 4 MLB catchers . Diekman isn’t anything to get excited about and don’t love the $4M in 23, but it’s a fine move. 

It’s a fine move in isolation, although giving up anything for a guy at a market based contract and underperforming is somewhat problematic.  My real concern is that Hahn continues to not Tony proof his roster.  This dude will face way too many RH hitters and it will cost us.

2 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I don't think we can really be upset about the deal - it's a pretty neutral deal, though the TLR cynic in me sees another high-leverage piece of misuse.

I would have kept McGuire over Seby, but apart from that decision it’s not terrible.  Not great, but not terrible.  The cash or PTBNL bugs me for the contract coming back but they do love burning cash in the pen.  I don’t have faith TLR uses him right so it seems like a high probability of failing. 

3 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I don't think we can really be upset about the deal - it's a pretty neutral deal, though the TLR cynic in me sees another high-leverage piece of misuse.

Even if this doesn’t work well, Reese was about to lose his roster spot, so this turns him into a middling player. Diekman on a 1 year deal can probably be dumped in the offseason if needed as he’s a left hander. 

This doesn’t make us worse long term. That’s an improvement.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s a fine move in isolation, although giving up anything for a guy at a market based contract and underperforming is somewhat problematic.  My real concern is that Hahn continues to not Tony proof his roster.  This dude will face way too many RH hitters and it will cost us.

They didn’t give up anything, though. This is McGuires value, which is basically waiver claim territory but nothing more. 

Edited by ChiSox59

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

They didn’t get up anything, though. This is McGuires value, which is basically waiver claim territory but nothing more. 

Oh I don’t care about losing McGuire, this is more about committing salary and a roster spot next year to a 35 year old reliever who hasn’t really been good since the LOOGY rule went into effect and will be managed by one Tony La Russa.  It’s not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but not overly excited it’s going to do much to improve the club this season.  Hope I’m wrong because we no doubt need a LH reliever.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Oh I don’t care about losing McGuire, this is more about committing salary and a roster spot next year to a 35 year old reliever who hasn’t really been good since the LOOGY rule went into effect and will be managed by one Tony La Russa.  It’s not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but not overly excited it’s going to do much to improve the club this season.  
Hope I’m wrong because we no doubt need a LH reliever.

If Diekman could be signed for 2 years, $8 million last offseason, is it likely that he will be unmovable with 1 year $4 million remaining next offseason unless he’s hurt?

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Oh I don’t care about losing McGuire, this is more about committing salary and a roster spot next year to a 35 year old reliever who hasn’t really been good since the LOOGY rule went into effect and will be managed by one Tony La Russa.  It’s not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but not overly excited it’s going to do much to improve the club this season.  Hope I’m wrong because we no doubt need a LH reliever.

That’s fair. Def get the Tony concern. 

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Reese McGuire (+ Taylor Broadway) to Red Sox for LHRP Jake Diekman
  • bmags unpinned this topic