Juan Soto/Josh Bell to Padres official

bmags

“Trading away six players isn’t ideal. But, to acquire a player of Soto’s caliber trading away six may be the only option. The reason being the top three players are considered top 100 prospects (C.J. Abrams, Robert Hassell III, and James Wood). Yes, Abrams is no longer on MLB’s top prospect list but he has just 45 games played and was a top 10 prospect before the season started. 

Ultimately just because baseball trade values rate a player a certain value, that does not mean Washington will rate said players the same value. Yes, Los Angeles and St. Louis can send over a bigger offer sheet but that does not guarantee they will. 

This mock trade would send Washington three top 100 prospects if you consider Abrams a prospect still like me. A controllable big league pitcher in Adrian Morejon. But two young players in 19-year-old Jackson Merrill and 18-year-old Jarlin Susana. I would not be surprised at all if both players were to crack the top 100 prospect list before their big league debut in 3-4 years.

I don’t think Padres will make this type of offer in the offseason. The Nationals should accept it now.”

gaslampball.com

Not a bad prediction, got 4 out of 6 correct.  Missed, maybe on Hosmer, Morejon/Merrill versus Mackenzie Gore as one of the headliners.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

probably going to the dodgers then.

Gotta tell you, as miserable as last night made me, realizing I went through 3 years of shit baseball after a decade of shit baseball, where I thought we were cleaning the house to bring up a bunch of young players to finally be able to get a big fish...and to see multiple top 5 players in the game become available...and to once again not have the budget. the players. the resolve.

It is such a gut punch. This organization is the least relevant organization in the history of baseball. It used to be the padres. It used to be the astros. You can say rockies, and sure. But Rick Hahn has done no better than the rockies during his tenure. 

I really don't care what shitty moves this team makes. I only want (metaphorical) harakiri of all involved. I can't imagine getting one of the best jobs in the world and being so shitty at it for a decade.

Beautiful post that needs to be pinned somewhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

If San Diego was going to trade Hosmer and cover his salary for the rest of his contract, why not just release him?

Most likely because they weren't going to do that exactly (cover everything)

What would have been an offer the Sox could have made that may have matched what the Padres traded here?

I know we don’t have 3 top 100 prospects and don’t have as many additional risers… but you would have to think that we could have made an attractive offer since we just recently had 9 top 100 prospects.

Vaughn

Kopech

Montgomery

Colas

Vera

Popeye

Pretty sure that gets it done and I’m also hesitant to do it… maybe would as long as they made a secondary trade for a starting pitcher.

Soto and Bell would be hot.

SS - Anderson

RF - Soto

CF - Disappearing Man

1B - Abreu / Bell

DH - Bell / Grandal / Abreu / Eloy

LF - Eloy / Pollack

3B - Moncada

C - Grandal / Zavala

2B - Harrison / Shithead

Edited by hi8is

Interesting piece of this trade is the Padres have to win in 2022-23 and would then have to decide in 2024 about restocking the minor league system with a 25 year old Soto trade or holding one for one more shot at a World Series.

Of course, Padres would have a boatload invested in just three guys, $60 million left to Musgrove, four more Machado years and then Tatis' monster deal.

If they could resign him before Boras takes him to LA or NY (Mets or Yankees), it would be permanent proof small market teams are crying poor while actually cash rich.

Then the consideration of which team Soto wants to go to the HoF for?  Next deal likely 10-12 years in length and potentially his last.

Edited by caulfield12

Here’s the easiest way to think of this: yesterday, the Nationals had the 24th-best farm system in baseball based on our rankings. Today, thanks to this trade, they’ve leapfrogged to eighth. Per Craig Edwards’ research, the Nationals can expect roughly the same amount of organizational value from the prospects they acquired today as they can from their entire system as of yesterday. That doesn’t even count Gore, who has already exhausted prospect eligibility (Abrams should graduate soon, too). Make no mistake: this was a treasure trove of a return, more glitzy prospects than have ever been exchanged in-season. It could get even better than that; Voit won’t be a free agent until after the 2024 season, and while his stock is down after two seasons where he’s been more average than exceptional, the Nationals would find several interested bidders if they decided to flip him for a prospect.

If I were the Padres, I’d be happy to make this trade anyway. Again, have you heard of Juan Soto? He’s a career .291/.427/.538 hitter. Since he debuted, he’s second only to Mike Trout in on-base percentage, and his 155 wRC+ is fourth in the league, behind Trout, Yordan Alvarez, and Aaron Judge. His .408 OBP this season is third in baseball and also 63 points lower than what he produced in 2020 and ’21.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-padres-add-juan-soto-in-the-blockbuster-of-all-blockbusters/

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=30&type=8&season=2022&month=0&season1=2022&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2022-01-01&enddate=2022-12-31&page=3_30

Milwaukee’s Devin Williams Top Ten in fWAR for relievers, Hader in 60’s and Liam Hendriks in 30’s.

Not sure either guy is worth the price tag, but will be fascinating to watch from here on out.

https://sports.yahoo.com/juan-sotos-trade-to-the-padres-leaves-a-star-sized-hole-in-washington-that-might-never-be-filled-025454608.html

Edited by caulfield12