Hahn talking at 5:30

southsider2k5

12 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Bah, what player could they have spent money on last offseason that would have turned them from a .500 team with a shot at the playoffs into a team 20 games over .500 who could genuinely threaten the Yankees or Astros?

Schwarber? Semien? Bryant? Castellanos? 

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I believe you have added like $90 million and 2.6 WAR for all of them. Does that make this team 20 games over, adding 2.6 WAR?

I didn’t mean sign all of them. Had they signed Semien and Schwarber, their record would be much better than 1 game over .500 right now. 

15 hours ago, hankchifan said:

Looks like that’s it.  One middle of the pack reliever while Twins are loading up.

Maybe the White Sox are really excited about Dikeman, but this is how the Red Sox summarized it:

"The Red Sox accepted McGuire and more to move on from Diekman just four months into his two-year contract. His tendency to play with gasoline out of the Boston bullpen and propensity for walking opposing hitters in multiples won’t be missed. "

Here are the pros and cons of the Red Sox's trade deadline deals (providencejournal.com)

16 minutes ago, Bad Hombre said:

I didn’t mean sign all of them. Had they signed Semien and Schwarber, their record would be much better than 1 game over .500 right now. 

While that should put them in front of the Twins, does that make them anywhere close to as good as the Astros or Yankees? That was my question and I think the answer is illustrative.

14 hours ago, Marqhead said:

I agree with you. To many guys having terrible seasons, this isn’t the year to push the chips in on rentals. I’d prefer they stand pat, reload during the off-season and hope a few of these guys bounce back and stay healthy. 

Caveat is that I know they won’t really reload during the off-season. But still understanding how this terrible front office operates I’m not that upset with doing nothing at this deadline. 

I think from a FO perspective, the Sox should have made some  RF move. I didn't like Gallo and there were not a lot of trade-able pieces, but Hahn should have taken someone. We had people for and  against Gallo  and if he was the only option, that should have been the move. 

32 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

While that should put them in front of the Twins, does that make them anywhere close to as good as the Astros or Yankees? That was my question and I think the answer is illustrative.

I wouldn’t like their chances against the Yankees in the playoffs, but all you need is a chip & a chair. Did anybody expect the Braves to beat the Dodgers last year?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bad Hombre said:

I wouldn’t like their chances against the Yankees in the playoffs, but all you need is a chip & a chair. Did anybody expect the Braves to beat the Dodgers last year?

I’ll bet you this one again - with how their pitching staffs ran out of gas, if the Braves had to play a wild card round and the Astros and Dodgers didn’t, the Braves might not even get past the Dodgers, let alone the Astros.

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I’ll bet you this one again - with how their pitching staffs ran out of gas, if the Braves had to play a wild card round and the Astros and Dodgers didn’t, the Braves might not even get past the Dodgers, let alone the Astros.

That’s kinda my point…nobody knows what will happen so why not get to the dance!

A few minutes before White Sox general manager Rick Hahn addressed the media Tuesday night, a source indicated that the team’s silent final day leading up to the trade deadline was not popular in the clubhouse. The Sox’s veteran-laden group has been in enough contending seasons to expect midseason upgrades at the deadline as an endorsement of its playoff potential.

https://theathletic.com/3472567/2022/08/02/white-sox-trade-deadline/

• TLR 1

12 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Well maybe if they played better Hahn would have been more aggressive to improve the team. As is, this team's aspirations are just to win the AL Central and pretty much nothing more. 

Also, Hahn made it seem like other teams were asking for Montgomery for rentals. That's bullshit. The only top 100 prospects that moved were not for rentals. Only guys like Castillo, Soto, and the package the Marlins got for 2 relievers with control ended up costing top 100 prospects. 

I'm going to guess the Cubs were asking for a lot for a Happ + reliever package. It's not like they got a ton for Robertson or Givens. Happ not being traded probably means they were asking for a ton for him. 

Hahn's biggest problem this deadline was that he aimed far too high and didn't address the very basic needs of the team for cheap. You're telling me teams were asking for premium prospects for David Peralta or Tyler Naquin? Bullshit. 

Edited by chw42

22 minutes ago, Bad Hombre said:

That’s kinda my point…nobody knows what will happen so why not get to the dance!

Does it cost us the chance to get better in 23 to barely make it into a wild card round in ‘22? If they had spent an extra $80 million last offseason and were sitting there with a $250 million payroll way over the tax, even I would have to say they’re losing money and can’t do that for long - they wouldn’t be adding anything next offseason in that case, and so if their 86 win team gets eliminated in round 1, that could be their last shot. Trading Colas or Sosa might make them better right now and give them that shot at 86 wins and a division title, but where does that leave them next offseason where they’re likely starved for contributions?

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Well maybe if they played better Hahn would have been more aggressive to improve the team. As is, this team's aspirations are just to win the AL Central and pretty much nothing more. 

I'm pretty sure Abreu and Anderson aren't to blame for us having DH's in the outfield, Grandal, and blowing our cash on bullpen arms and trash. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'm pretty sure Abreu and Anderson aren't to blame for us having DH's in the outfield, Grandal, and blowing our cash on bullpen arms and trash. 

Grandal is probably part of the veteran leadership. 

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

I think from a FO perspective, the Sox should have made some  RF move. I didn't like Gallo and there were not a lot of trade-able pieces, but Hahn should have taken someone. We had people for and  against Gallo  and if he was the only option, that should have been the move. 

I think that's fair, especially if he could have been had on the cheap with a few months to "prove it". I also would have been fine with a move for 2B, looking towards the future, since we currently don't have a long-term option on the roster.

53 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I woke up this morning and realized that Hahn really said we didn't make any trades because he misjudged the market. But we apparently put in an offer for Ohtani? Okay Rick. 

Seriously though, we dodged a bullet. Hahn didn’t trade the farm for a 37 yo pitcher that will be out if the league in a year and a half. Be glad. Its like keeping Ryan Pace locked in a closet on draft day, today is a good day.

I don’t believe any of this sellers market bullshit. Key prospects moved in two trades (Castillo and Soto), everyone else moved was for little.

The Cubs certainly saw a buyers market. If they weren’t offered a package worth a compensatory pick for Contreras, or felt they could get more for Happ this off-season or perhaps want to extend him, then they did the right thing sitting yesterday.

I don’t believe Hahn fucked up “yesterday”. Hahn fucked up in 2020, 2021 and 2022, which lead to no money and little prospects for moves yesterday. 

He is simply reaping the consequences of a dozen poor to awful decisions during this “multi championship” window, including mostly horseshit drafting, player development, high priced free agent signings on players near retirement, and roster construction during his entire tenure.

Edited by South Side Hit Men