GT 8/3: Outfielders? We don't need no stinking outfielders!

• Quin pinned this topic

Lance Lynn needs to put his big boy pants on and pitch well tonight.  The Sox probably used up most of the runs they were allotted for this series last night.

As our optimistic friend Steve Stone keeps saying, the Sox just need to keep winning series.  They put themselves in a tough spot by losing Monday.  Now they need to go beat a pitcher that's been pretty good lately.

• Like 1

Sox need to come out and win this game,  what would be nice is for the offense to come out and continue to put runs up on the board like last night,  too many times this year we have seen nice offensive showings only to revert back to corpse ball the following day

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

While this comment is in no way an endorsement of TLR - he's literally awful and a huge impediment for this club  - we've already been told by Hahn that Robert is going to get plenty of rest the next couple weeks.  So we should all try to avoid the lineup meltdown when it does happen. 

SSS for sure, but I thought Pollock played a fine CF filling in the last week or two.  Definitely punts defense (something we've become accustomed to), but its nice to be able to keep Pollock in the lineup when Robert sits without having to remove one of Eloy/AV. 

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

Can't they just be normal and sign someone like Brantley in the offseason?  Just a solid, above-average player.

We should shoot a bit higher.  Brantley would be a fine fallback option, but he's getting old and isn't a good outfielder.

Brandon Nimmo should be priority number 1, 2, 3 and 4. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

We should shoot a bit higher.  Brantley would be a fine fallback option, but he's getting old and isn't a good outfielder.

If Colas is going to be ready for 2023, there's no room for another outfielder unless one of Eloy, Vaughn or Abreu is not on the team in 2023. I know Abreu is the obvious answer since his contract is up but does anybody believe that the Sox would actually let him go?

1 minute ago, CentralChamps21 said:

If Colas is going to be ready for 2023, there's no room for another outfielder unless one of Eloy, Vaughn or Abreu is not on the team in 2023. I know Abreu is the obvious answer since his contract is up but does anybody believe that the Sox would actually let him go?

Is Colas the answer in RF?

15 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Yeah, my other priority is solving the Abreu/AV/Eloy problem. I am holding Eloy for now and I too think Abreu is going nowhere. So I’m likely looking to move AV this offseason if/when Abreu re-signs. This team badly needs to get more athletic, better defensively in the OF and more left handed. Flipping AV for a LH middle infielder that can field his position and has similar control seems like a good fit.  

Edited by ChiSox59

17 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Let's hope not as he continues to be by far the best position player on the team.

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

As our optimistic friend Steve Stone keeps saying, the Sox just need to keep winning series.  They put themselves in a tough spot by losing Monday.  Now they need to go beat a pitcher that's been pretty good lately.

It’s truly remarkable that the Sox haven’t lost a series since the July 4-6 series against Minnesota, considering they seem to lose the first game of every series they play in (and they’ve lost the first TWO games multiple times).

30 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I don't know the answer, but Jose has been by far the most consistent, productive and healthy. I know he's aging but he's the best of the bunch still and is showing no signs of slowing down. It is quite the conundrum. Honestly, out of all of them...I hate to say it but I think you explore what you can get for Eloy if you are that sure of Colas (or another hitter who can be more productive than Eloy at the plate and can actually field the ball).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yes, he would be someone like Brantley was when the Astros signed him.

https://www.cleveland.com/guardians/2022/08/guardians-activate-oscar-gonzalez-from-injured-list-make-franmil-reyes-option-official.html

Why can’t the White Sox operate like this with vets vs. rookies (see Sosa or Burger this year, Vaughn last year, etc.)

Seems impossible for TLR , unless it’s his weird Sheets obsession.

Edited by caulfield12

10 minutes ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

I don't know the answer, but Jose has been by far the most consistent, productive and healthy. I know he's aging but he's the best of the bunch still and is showing no signs of slowing down. It is quite the conundrum. Honestly, out of all of them...I hate to say it but I think you explore what you can get for Eloy if you are that sure of Colas (or another hitter who can be more productive than Eloy at the plate and can actually field the ball).

Eloy has put up 0.2 WAR this season for $7.3 million and is due a minimum of $27 million over the next 2+ seasons. He put up 0.7 WAR in 2021 so this is not only a 1 season issue. Barring a second half offensive explosion, the answer is “his contract is likely movable without picking up money, but the return will be practically nothing - no one that will ever see a big league roster.”

• Thanks 1