GT 8/3: Outfielders? We don't need no stinking outfielders!

10 minutes ago, chw42 said:

The team has been successful despite him being kinda awful offensively in the past. So I don't think the whole rebuild hinges on him. It'd be nice if he showed a pulse for more than a few games though. 

This is the first year of Moncada's career where he's been a truly bad hitter. The worst he's been prior to this year was a 95 wRC+. which with his defense, would still probably make him a pretty decent player overall.

What's so frustrating about Moncada is we know he can be better.  It's not just about being injured and not 100%.  He's got a shit ton of talent and he doesn't seem to be interested in tapping it.  I know that it's a perception, and maybe he is trying his hardest.  But it certainly doesn't seem like it.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Even being ice cold for 2 weeks, Moncada is hitting .254/.331/.402 with a 112 wRC+ since June 13th. Ignore everything that happened before that. 

Since June 13th he’s had 31 base hits and before that he had 12.

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

So Yoan is slumping a bit. He was on fire for a month. It's normal. It's called baseball. I'd be more concerned if he wasn't walking. 

Vaughn had a bad few weeks and we were all(myself included) freaking out about him too. 

One thing I've learned is that it's more difficult to recover numbers wise from a bad first month than going into a slump midseason after starting hot. Hitting is all hot streaks and slumps just like having a hot shooting percentage in basketball

He was much better but I wouldn't exactly describe it as being "on fire."  And included in that stretch were multiple hits off position players.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

This is the first year of Moncada's career where he's been a truly bad hitter. The worst he's been prior to this year was a 95 wRC+. which with his defense, would still probably make him a pretty decent player overall.

I know you’re his biggest supporter...I just wonder where his explosive swing went.  He looked way behind 93 mph sinker up in the zone his last two at bats.  He looks nothing like he used to at the plate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I know you’re his biggest supporter...I just wonder where his explosive swing went.  He looked way behind 93 mph sinker up in the zone his last two at bats.  He looks nothing like he used to at the plate.

I don't disagree with this. He had problems with fastballs last year too. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

It's not. He's having a bad season but the 1st 3 weeks when he was beyond terrible make it look worse than it actually has been. 

but the 3 weeks when he was "on fire" should be discussed. Forget those crappy 3 weeks though. LOL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

He was 3rd in the AL in obp last year! We know his defense is good. The 3 years prior to this, even with 2020 baked in where it looked like he was dying on the field, he was an excellent hitter overall. Higher wRC+ than Bryant, Machado, Arenado, etc. I just don't understand how he could fall off a cliff like this.