GT 8/3: Outfielders? We don't need no stinking outfielders!

1 minute ago, Snopek said:

Feels strange saying I like their chances of better than a series split vs Texas since it's on the road.

The team doesn't hit homers. Playing in a homer friendly stadium doesn't actually help them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Fair point, but it seems like 3B is the only position this organization seems to care about defense.  

I remember they tried to turn Viciedo and Fields into that position. They probably wont produce a stud catcher in my lifetime.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Never would have guessed he had a bad diet 

Could be totally unrelated to his diet. Could be a DNA thing built into his system like weak heart valves. You never know. Me and a couple of my brothers all have autoimmune  diseases like Rheumatoid arthritis, MS and Lupus. So we always had a higher risk of getting Covid. My diet sucks but I haven't had a cold in around 3 years.

9 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I'd like to go on record to say that I predicted this 19 game stretch perfectly so far.

Hopefully I'm also right on the last 10 games. Going 5 over after this stretch is decent. The only problem is that the Twins got a lot better yesterday. 

I'm right on also but it should have been 6-2 instead of 5-3 but we blew that last game in Colorado.

Just now, Snopek said:

For sure. The home/road splits are just odd though. Significantly better hitting team on the road.

There is a huge difference in BABIP in our home/away splits. I think it's probably something that works itself out over the next 2 months. I think our home BABIP is .280 while our away BABIP is .330. 

11 minutes ago, chw42 said:

All bitching aside, the Sox did hit well today and they hit a pitcher that they've historically struggled against. That's an improvement. Now they go to Texas and face 4 pretty bad starters. Hopefully the offense gets hot and we can rattle off some more series wins. 

Martin Perez not going to start for the Rangers ? Dunning ?

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Could be totally unrelated to his diet. Could be a DNA thing built into his system like weak heart valves. You never know. Me and a couple of my brothers all have autoimmune  diseases like Rheumatoid arthritis, MS and Lupus. So we always had a higher risk of getting Covid. My diet sucks but I haven't had a cold in around 3 years.

That would SUCK!

My diet sorta sucks after years of ignoring diabetes.  It almost caused my death in the summer of 2020 or being far more deformed.  Now I take much better care of myself.  Unfortunately is probably aged me 15 years.

I know a lady who is autoimmune and got covid.  That has to be the worst combo. 

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Perez started today. I forgot about Dunning actually. Alright, it's more like 3 bad starters and Dane Dunning. 

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Except for Sheets. SHeets is a God at home and a worm on the road.

I think I remember all the homers Gavin has hit on the road. He hit one in Baltimore and another in Detroit. I don't think he has another one on the road. 

1 minute ago, kitekrazy said:

That would SUCK!

My diet sorta sucks after years of ignoring diabetes.  It almost caused my death in the summer of 2020 or being far more deformed.  Now I take much better care of myself.  Unfortunately is probably aged me 15 years.

I know a lady who is autoimmune and got covid.  That has to be the worst combo. 

Plus throw in 2 herniated discs in the last 10 years and cataracts in both eyes ,but I don't feel bad at all. Cataracts ending  up giving me the best vision I've had since I was pretty young. I'm Sale thin always have been. Aging hasn't put any weight on me because with my back it kills me any extra poundage in the midsection.

32 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Dick Allen used to hit those line drives that just kept on rising.  My favorite baseball player of all time.

IRCC he hit one over some shortstops outstretched arm and it wound up in the first row of the leftfield stands at Comiskey, talk about a frozen rope.....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ragans/Ragams (first start), Otto, Dunning, Howard

Have to take 3/4.  Minnesota gets Toronto for four and Dodgers for 2.  Hopefully 2-4 or 1-5.  2-4 sounds more realistic.

2 hours ago, Leonard Zelig said:

I work there.  Did you have a question about it.

Just going to recommend it as a great stop between Texas and Chicago. We stop every year over Thanksgiving. Love the restaurant/shops/bar scene. 

I don't think any of us know what the problem is with Moncada. Frankly, that's not as important as whether, or not, the problem can be resolved. His ability to hit is critical, because he is one of the few LH hitters on this team. With neither Moncada, or Grandal hitting, Sheets has to be in lineup against RH pitching. Moreover, he has to hit in the heart of the order. Less than an ideal situation, to be sure.  I've been alarmed about Moncada's lack of offense, for quite some time now, and it's just not getting better. I even went so far as to suggest that I hoped that the Sox could trade him, just to avoid the possibility of having to pay him $50 million, over the last two years of his contract.

If the Sox make it to the post season, how much longer can they continue to let him hit, before they have to let Burger play 3RD? Yoan is putting up some of the worst numbers in baseball and looks every bit as bad as his stats. I suggested some time ago that perhaps he needs to change his approach at the plate. Forget about trying to be a pull hitter, or hitting for power. Choke up on the bat and spray the ball around the field. Be willing to concentrate on just getting on base. Whatever he does, it has to be something different than what he has been doing. It's been far too long to be considered a "slump".

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I don't think any of us know what the problem is with Moncada. Frankly, that's not as important as whether, or not, the problem can be resolved. His ability to hit is critical, because he is one of the few LH hitters on this team. With neither Moncada, or Grandal hitting, Sheets has to be in lineup against RH pitching. Moreover, he has to hit in the heart of the order. Less than an ideal situation, to be sure.  I've been alarmed about Moncada's lack of offense, for quite some time now, and it's just not getting better. I even went so far as to suggest that I hoped that the Sox could trade him, just to avoid the possibility of having to pay him $50 million, over the last two years of his contract.

If the Sox make it to the post season, how much longer can they continue to let him hit, before they have to let Burger play 3RD? Yoan is putting up some of the worst numbers in baseball and looks every bit as bad as his stats. I suggested some time ago that perhaps he needs to change his approach at the plate. Forget about trying to be a pull hitter, or hitting for power. Choke up on the bat and spray the ball around the field. Be willing to concentrate on just getting on base. Whatever he does, it has to be something different than what he has been doing. It's been far too long to be considered a "slump".

Burger is worse than Moncada against RHP. He has no chance. Kills lefties though. 

• Thanks 1