Moncada

Unknown

Just now, RJSox_22 said:

Wait 2 years… in the meantime enjoy his defense and hit him 7-9 in batting order and pray.

Yeah... or, if an impact third basemen is easier to acquire this winter than an impact second basemen, do it, and move Moncada to 2B. His wishes are beginning to not matter anymore.

• Like 3

Not trying to be any kind of conspiracy theorist but he has never seemed right post Covid.  I wonder if he isn't going to be one of the long term effect people.  It would be interesting to know if there are definite differences in his performance data that we don't get but hopefully are being measured such as reaction times, acceleration rates, bat speeds.  We can see only bigger picture things like BA, SO , HR.  I still remember him in 2020 playoffs looking like he was going to cry after going first to home.  I guess I would rather that than him not caring though not sure which might be easier to fix if either is issue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Moncada needs to cut down on his swing and try to make some contact....especially with two strikes...like most other hitters.Striking out too much reveals that he just isn't seeing the ball.  Maybe a new hitting coach .

Edited by tray

As bad as he has been, this year, he has been even worse vs. RHP, which is one of the most important functions, for which he is being counted upon:

In 184 at bats, vs. RHP:  AVG. .196   OBP .249   SLG . 310   OPS .559 

It's hard to believe that a Major League hitter can be that bad. Apparently, there is something wrong with him. There is little sign that he is about to break out. He is not having particularly good at bats and more often looks lost, at the plate. He seems to be regressing back to his early days with the Sox, when he took so many called 3RD strikes. If he is physically unable to hit better than that, put him on the IL and bring up either Burger, Sosa, or even Romy Gonzalez, once he finishes his rehab assignment. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

Not trying to be any kind of conspiracy theorist but he has never seemed right post Covid.  I wonder if he isn't going to be one of the long term effect people.  It would be interesting to know if there are definite differences in his performance data that we don't get but hopefully are being measured such as reaction times, acceleration rates, bat speeds.  We can see only bigger picture things like BA, SO , HR.  I still remember him in 2020 playoffs looking like he was going to cry after going first to home.  I guess I would rather that than him not caring though not sure which might be easier to fix if either is issue.

Maybe Moncada just stinks, or maybe something physically is wrong with him. Fans think he's not hustling, but I wonder if he can't run all that fast. If a player has problems with his legs, he can't be an effective hitter. I wonder if the Sox are in denial and maybe Moncada is as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Hire a hitting coach that gives a shit about fixing offensive approaches? 

This + a million. Yoan is going no where. Just gotta hope the bat can bounce back to a 110-120 wRC+ type in 2023. He’s still a very valuable player at that level with his defense.

4 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Hire a hitting coach that gives a shit about fixing offensive approaches? 

Yes, that is 100 percent correct! However even if they hired a good hitting coach, he wouldn't be able to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. Moncada doesn't give a shit anymore. He plays without any hustle, desire and guilt in his mind if he sucks. He has made the big money and simply doesn't care anymore. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Kids Can Play said:

Yes, that is 100 percent correct! However even if they hired a good hitting coach, he wouldn't be able to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. Moncada doesn't give a shit anymore. He plays without any hustle, desire and guilt in his mind if he sucks. He has made the big money and simply doesn't care anymore. 

He does look like he is going through the motions and doesn't care but that may just be his body language some players are like that others smash bats and trash the locker room. 

Either way a hitting coach is supposed to help players through spells like this and that doesn't appear to have happened as his approach at the plate looks unchanged.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

He was good last year... this year especially lately just totally lost.

Good at walks and fielding which helped his fWar and OPS a lot. Despite the 15 Hr's he was still under .400 slugging for most of the year until a September push got it above .400.

Now he's only good at fielding, walk rate down , K's up, ISO and pretty much all offensive categories all down dramatically. Right now he's a -8.7 offensive fWar. Yas is even worse  -14.9 offensive fWar. To give you a little perspective while he was here, Reese McGuire was -9.2 offensive fWar .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Do they have anyone in the minors for a future replacement?  Burger isn't it.

No one close except Burger or Zach Remillard who will never be called up to replace Moncada. He's 28 never been in the bigs, decent year at Charlotte . Jack of all trades inf. guy mostly 3rd, SS, 2nd , little LF and very little RF ,RH, not much power, organizational guy, whole career with the Sox so far after being drafted.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside