Moncada

Unknown

The direction this franchise is headed...Anderson will be traded when Montgomery is ready to replace him.

As early as the trade deadline next year.

Have seen no indications they're suddenly planning a position change.

And Moncada isn't going anywhere...after all this time, they're really going to push him back to second base when his defense is so much better at third?

18 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The direction this franchise is headed...Anderson will be traded when Montgomery is ready to replace him.

As early as the trade deadline next year.

Have seen no indications they're suddenly planning a position change.

And Moncada isn't going anywhere...after all this time, they're really going to push him back to second base when his defense is so much better at third?

I could see Anderson being traded. Let's just hope Hahn is gone because he would undoubtedly screw it up. 

Moncada for now might play better defense at third over second, however if he would lose some weight and get into better shape, he could play second. In his first minor league season with Boston at A ball, he was much lighter and he had 49 of 52 stolen bases. He played a good second base back then. Fast forward to today and he is now slow, lazy and cannot hit!

He surely isn't getting any better until he can get into better shape and not have constant injuries, as well as he needs a good hitting coach, which this team does not currently have; to straighten him out. 

22 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I could see Anderson being traded. Let's just hope Hahn is gone because he would undoubtedly screw it up. 

Moncada for now might play better defense at third over second, however if he would lose some weight and get into better shape, he could play second. In his first minor league season with Boston at A ball, he was much lighter and he had 49 of 52 stolen bases. He played a good second base back then. Fast forward to today and he is now slow, lazy and cannot hit!

He surely isn't getting any better until he can get into better shape and not have constant injuries, as well as he needs a good hitting coach, which this team does not currently have; to straighten him out. 

His defense is very good at third.  I wouldn't mess with that.  He still has power, as evidenced by last night's blast.  His hitting has fallen off a cliff, though.  Some coaching from a real hitting coach would definitely help.  Plus, he needs to be more aggressive early in the count.  He watches good pitches way too often.  Then he either freezes on strikes three or swings at bad pitches.

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

His defense is very good at third.  I wouldn't mess with that.  He still has power, as evidenced by last night's blast.  His hitting has fallen off a cliff, though.  Some coaching from a real hitting coach would definitely help.  Plus, he needs to be more aggressive early in the count.  He watches good pitches way too often.  Then he either freezes on strikes three or swings at bad pitches.

His power? Big deal he got lucky and hit a home run last night. He only has 6 HR's for the year. His last home run was July 17th. Oh great, we get to wait another 18 games for his power? In the meantime he has slash numbers of .197/.258/.322/.580. There should be some power at third base!

I know his flaws are numerous with poor plate discipline, swings at too many pitches outside the zone and let's looks at too many called strikes in the center of the plate. but it is what it is. He is screwed up for numerous reasons and he is hurting the team. Most importantly per the expectations we traded for him and based on only one good year in 2019, he is a bust. When Burger comes back I would much rather see play third and get a lot of playing experience there.

1 hour ago, The Kids Can Play said:

His power? Big deal he got lucky and hit a home run last night. He only has 6 HR's for the year. His last home run was July 17th. Oh great, we get to wait another 18 games for his power? In the meantime he has slash numbers of .197/.258/.322/.580. There should be some power at third base!

I know his flaws are numerous with poor plate discipline, swings at too many pitches outside the zone and let's looks at too many called strikes in the center of the plate. but it is what it is. He is screwed up for numerous reasons and he is hurting the team. Most importantly per the expectations we traded for him and based on only one good year in 2019, he is a bust. When Burger comes back I would much rather see play third and get a lot of playing experience there.

He has power, but he's not tapping into it.  He does have a ton of flaws at the plate, flaws that he didn't have in 2019 for sure.  That's why I think he can be fixed.  But he is really hurting this team right now.  Honestly if he can return to even 2021 form, the bat is fine when he provides the defense he does.

I'm not saying he will ever be the guy he could and should be.  He might be the most frustrating player to watch on this team because of his potential.

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

He has power, but he's not tapping into it.  He does have a ton of flaws at the plate, flaws that he didn't have in 2019 for sure.  That's why I think he can be fixed.  But he is really hurting this team right now.  Honestly if he can return to even 2021 form, the bat is fine when he provides the defense he does.

I'm not saying he will ever be the guy he could and should be.  He might be the most frustrating player to watch on this team because of his potential.

Whether he has the power or not is not the point. The fact is he can't seem to find it. Whether it's from our inept hitting coach and manager, or his lack of making adjustments, he lost his power. At what point do the Sox quit trying to put a square peg in a round hole? We can't keep living on the hope, "well he did it in 2019".

Since his great year in 2019 his last three seasons including 2022 are:  

261 Games

959 At Bats

26 HR's

.239 BA

I'm sorry but I am sure we could find more power at third base whether it's from our minors, free agency or playing Jake Burger. Plus, if he is as good as everyone thinks he is, then great, let's trade him in the off season and let some other club be the miracle worker to change him. 

I will however wholeheartedly agree with you that he is without a doubt, the most frustrating Sox player to watch based on his talent and potential.

• Like 1

Moncada is the least of this team's worries. Lol. I love how he's "killing them" while the Sox have two DHs playing outfield, and a fucking AAA player at second base. Not to mention the offensive black hole at catcher(who is also one of the worst fucking defensive catchers in the MLB). What the fuck are we even talking about? Address the MASSIVE holes on this roster and then maybe we can b**** about Moncada.

Edited by Paulie4Pres
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • TLR 1

1 hour ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Whether he has the power or not is not the point. The fact is he can't seem to find it. Whether it's from our inept hitting coach and manager, or his lack of making adjustments, he lost his power. At what point do the Sox quit trying to put a square peg in a round hole? We can't keep living on the hope, "well he did it in 2019".

Since his great year in 2019 his last three seasons including 2022 are:  

261 Games

959 At Bats

26 HR's

.239 BA

I'm sorry but I am sure we could find more power at third base whether it's from our minors, free agency or playing Jake Burger. Plus, if he is as good as everyone thinks he is, then great, let's trade him in the off season and let some other club be the miracle worker to change him. 

I will however wholeheartedly agree with you that he is without a doubt, the most frustrating Sox player to watch based on his talent and potential.

The question is whether Burger’s defense would ever allow him to even sniff a 3 fWAR, let alone an overall 4.5 like Moncada last year.

His OPS at Charlotte this year is only .771, when we should expect 900ish roughly.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

The question is whether Burger’s defense would ever allow him to even sniff a 3 fWAR, let alone an overall 4.5 like Moncada last year.

Burger's defense would have him as a perpetual negative WAR player. His offense isn't good enough to make up for how absolutely atrocious he is defensively. 

Then again, he fits right in with the rest of this fucking roster.

10 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Moncada is the least of this team's worries. Lol. I love how he's "killing them" while the Sox have two DHs playing outfield, and a fucking AAA player at second base. Not to mention the offensive black hole at catcher(who is also one of the worst fucking defensive catchers in the MLB). What the fuck are we even talking about? Address the MASSIVE holes on this roster and then maybe we can b**** about Moncada.

I love how this organization can have two DHs playing outfield, two catchers who have trouble even catching the ball, an erratic fielding shortstop, yet when it comes to 3B, they can't replace their .197 .258 .580 third baseman because ... wait for it ... they're concerned about defense! 

The real problem with Moncada is the Sox committed way too much money to him and now are stuck with him.

The Sox need to improve both their hitting and their defense if they are ever to be a legitimate World Series contender.  The way this roster is constructed shows this rebuild was a failure.

13 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I love how this organization can have two DHs playing outfield, two catchers who have trouble even catching the ball, an erratic fielding shortstop, yet when it comes to 3B, they can't replace their .197 .258 .580 third baseman because ... wait for it ... they're concerned about defense! 

The real problem with Moncada is the Sox committed way too much money to him and now are stuck with him.

The Sox need to improve both their hitting and their defense if they are ever to be a legitimate World Series contender.  The way this roster is constructed shows this rebuild was a failure.

Moncada is good enough defensively and has shown excellent offensive potential. You have to just hope he can be fixed at the plate. I personally think he can. He's struggling the same way most of these hitters are struggling. It's all approach. And for him, I think he's lacking confidence, too. Adding 3B to the list of holes is just silly. He's so far down the line when it comes to flaws with this team.

Edited by Paulie4Pres

38 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

His OPS at Charlotte this year is only .771, when we should expect 900ish roughly.

I don't care about Charlotte. We only need to worry about the White Sox major league level where Burger has had a .761 OPS this season vs Moncada's .580 OPS.

As far as Burger's defense goes, if TLR ever gave him enough games at 3rd, in time he would improve there as well. Abreu wasn't a good fielder in his first few seasons until he got enough games at first to improve. The bottom line though, there is no doubt until Burger did ramp up on his defense, he would bring a far better BA and way more power to this club that Moncada. 

Finally where do you get off asking Burger to get to 900ish in OPS? There are only 8 players in all of MLB across 30 teams with a 900 OPS or more this year. The facts are the one good year Moncada had in 2019 was an aberration when he had a .915 OPS. The others years his OPS numbers are:  2018 - 714, 2020 - .765, 2021 - .787 and 2022 - .580.  Back to your silly question, when can we expect 900ish from Moncada again? Don't bother answering, it's a rhetorical question!

10 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Moncada is good enough defensively and has shown excellent offensive potential. You have to just hope he can be fixed at the plate. I personally think he can. He's struggling the same way most of these hitters are struggling. It's all approach. And for him, I think he's lacking confidence, too. Adding 3B to the list of holes is just silly. He's so far down the line when it comes to flaws with this team.

This season 3B has been as big a hole as any on this team.  Now whether it is to be filled by a resurrected Moncada or someone else remains to be seen, but it definitely is a major hole that needs to be filled.  They can't go on with this type of production (.197 .258 .580) at third base.  They definitely are not getting their money's worth out of Moncada.

2 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

This season 3B has been as big a hole as any on this team.  Now whether it is to be filled by a resurrected Moncada or someone else remains to be seen, but it definitely is a major hole that needs to be filled.  They can't go on with this type of production (.197 .258 .580) at third base.  They definitely are not getting their money's worth out of Moncada.

Do you really think the Moncada we have seen at the plate this season is what he truly is? That would also be silly.

1 hour ago, Paulie4Pres said:

I agree with you Moncada is not our only problem. We have several players playing poorly as you pointed out. I was only addressing the folks here trying to justify Moncada having power and he'll get it back. 

It is not fair to link Vaughn into the DH/1B playing weak and out of position. It's not his fault he rarely gets to play first base. If the Sox were going to put the 2019 3rd overall pick and one of the best hitters to come out of college, in a brand new position like left or right, then maybe they shouldn't have drafted him. 

6 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I don't care about Charlotte. We only need to worry about the White Sox major league level where Burger has had a .761 OPS this season vs Moncada's .580 OPS.

As far as Burger's defense goes, if TLR ever gave him enough games at 3rd, in time he would improve there as well. Abreu wasn't a good fielder in his first few seasons until he got enough games at first to improve. The bottom line though, there is no doubt until Burger did ramp up on his defense, he would bring a far better BA and way more power to this club that Moncada. 

Finally where do you get off asking Burger to get to 900ish in OPS? There are only 8 players in all of MLB across 30 teams with a 900 OPS or more this year. The facts are the one good year Moncada had in 2019 was an aberration when he had a .915 OPS. The others years his OPS numbers are:  2018 - 714, 2020 - .765, 2021 - .787 and 2022 - .580.  Back to your silly question, when can we expect 900ish from Moncada again? Don't bother answering, it's a rhetorical question!

So if the expectation is that we should expect roughly the same historic OPS from the two players, why would we play the one that is a huge defensively liability?

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

So if the expectation is that we should expect roughly the same historic OPS from the two players, why would we play the one that is a huge defensively liability?

There are not the same OPS numbers. Burger is far better. 

Burger hasn't played enough 3rd base to call him a defensive liability. Give him the numbers of games Moncada got and I'm sure he will improve. 

4 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Even if Moncada performs at his career average of .254 .337 .763 he'll still be a disappointment considering what he will be getting paid.  But if he continues to under-perform as he has been so far this season he will most definitely be killing the Sox.