8/10 at KC - Cueto vs. Bubic (7:10 start)

Texsox

2 hours ago, he gone. said:

I wouldn't get your hopes up ... Bubic has returned quality starts in 4 straight. Those came against Boston, Yankees, Rays and Toronto. The 5th start beyond that was 5.2ip, 3er ... so basically 5 QS in a row. He does struggle against lefties ... but we don't have lefties. Since June and 12 starts his ERA is much closer to the upper 3's. Finally, Yoan, Eloy and Robert are a combined 0-31 against Bubic and Abreu is 2-16. Thats 3-37 from the middle of your lineup. 

This has the makings of another 3-2, or 2-3 type final. 

good writeup, thanks

4 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

TLR is going to dislike you if you say that again Tex.

If he stays healthy, he is going to get as many at bats as anyone.  Yeah, we know that Tony......THAT'S THE DAMN PROBLEM

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Just to give some context, in 2021, Leury Garcia has a 1.8 fWAR, which really does put him in the discussion of being a "regular player who plays all over" as opposed to just a "utility player" at the time this got said. However, that was his only season in ten that he actually showed value beyond "utility player" and under no circumstances should he have been offered a contract or had usage planned on one outlier season out of ten.

Leury was as likely to have the -0.9 fWAR he is having as he was to have the 1.8 fWAR season he had last year, and his contract should have been one that made him easy to DFA when he actually had the -0.9.

You know after listening to the Tony video praising Leury again, one thing stands out.......... I can actually understand what Tony's saying.

Fast forward a year to Tony in 2022, and I can barely understand a word he's saying.  Do you think something happened to him physically to cause him to slur and mumble.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
sp

4 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Just to give some context, in 2021, Leury Garcia has a 1.8 fWAR, which really does put him in the discussion of being a "regular player who plays all over" as opposed to just a "utility player" at the time this got said. However, that was his only season in ten that he actually showed value beyond "utility player" and under no circumstances should he have been offered a contract or had usage planned on one outlier season out of ten.

Leury was as likely to have the -0.9 fWAR he is having as he was to have the 1.8 fWAR season he had last year, and his contract should have been one that made him easy to DFA when he actually had the -0.9.

I believe WAR awards you for playing multiple positions, so not really.

1 minute ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I believe WAR awards you for playing multiple positions, so not really.

fWAR doesn't reward you for playing multiple positions but it does reward you for playing good defense at challenging positions. Even so, Leury had a .335 OBP last year so he was producing at the level of a regular SS/2B. Of course he has no other seasons above .317 and is sitting at .237 this season.

17 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

That whoosh was Leury's bat swinging in the breeze. I prefer utility guys to focus on contact, and putting the ball in play. If he is injured he might need a couple years off. I think Josh may be the more skilled of the two.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

carlos perez is awesome.

Would you consider it helpful both to the 2022 White Sox and for Carlos' individual development to promote him to split duties with Zavala and IL Grandal until he is healthy enough to be effective both catching and hitting?

I really think they should play Sosa 4-6 games a week with Tim out.   Colas may be able to help them now, if so would love if they option Sheets and let Colas play RF 4-6 games a week. Think he can handle it with his Cuban/Japanese experience. Also think Hahn and Jerry want to manipulate his clock either for 2023 or even 2024, despite allegedly being in "win now" mode. 

That said, if Tony is not going to play any of these guys regularly in deference to his beloved shitty performing veterans, than leave them down, because it makes no sense for them to be promoted to watch players who should be reserves (Leury) or in AAA/traded (DH Sheets) or released or be last OF on bench (Pollock/Engel).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Would you consider it helpful both to the 2022 White Sox and for Carlos' individual development to promote him to split duties with Zavala and IL Grandal until he is healthy enough to be effective both catching and hitting?

I really think they should play Sosa 4-6 games a week with Tim out.   Colas may be able to help them now, if so would love if they option Sheets and let Colas play RF 4-6 games a week. Think he can handle it with his Cuban/Japanese experience. Also think Hahn and Jerry want to manipulate his clock either for 2023 or even 2024, despite allegedly being in "win now" mode. 

That said, if Tony is not going to play any of these guys regularly in deference to his beloved shitty performing veterans, than leave them down, because it makes no sense for them to be promoted to watch players who should be reserves (Leury) or in AAA/traded (DH Sheets) or released or be last OF on bench (Pollock/Engel).

Look how many at bats he actually had in Jpn.  Only around 100.  Fastball Velocity and use of slower breaking pitches so different.  Remember Takatsu’s frisbee?

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Carlos isn't the type of prospect you worry about his development. Considering how much of his ability to stick will be on work with pitchers, I'd just bring him up if we decide Yas can't hack it.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I’d give Grandal the next couple of weeks to show some life. I’d rather not carry a third catcher with one of those 2 call ups and would rather add 2 players + Perez while ILing Grandal like you said.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Every time I see/hear the name Bubic it makes me think of a woman wearing an ill-fitting bra.

It's a fun name to randomly yell whenever we get a hit....

"YEA BOOOOOOOOOB-ITCH!"

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Look how many at bats he actually had in Jpn.  Only around 100.  Fastball Velocity and use of slower breaking pitches so different.  Remember Takatsu’s frisbee?

Even if Colas struggled hitting getting acclimated to MLB pitching, he would likely surpass Sheets' 91 OPS + playing only in platoon situations, and would be a massive upgrade defensively regardless how he hits.

Worth a chance the final eight weeks if they are trying to win the division at this stage with Tim out, and Colas' incredible performance this season. He could be the missing piece who takes the team to unexpected places in October. Pretty sure a smart team like the Cardinals, Dodgers, Houston or others would try it.

Now: CF Robert; RF Colas ^; 1B Abreu; LF Eloy; DH Vaughn; 3B Moncada #; 2B Harrison C Zavala/Perez; SS Sosa (Leury, Engel; Pollock + Catcher Bench)

Fall Equinox: SS Anderson; RF Colas ^; CF Robert; 1B Abreu; LF Eloy; 3B Moncada #; DH Vaughn; C Zavala/Perez; 2B Sosa (Leury; Harrison; Pollock + Catcher Bench).

4 hours ago, he gone. said:

I wouldn't get your hopes up ... Bubic has returned quality starts in 4 straight. Those came against Boston, Yankees, Rays and Toronto. The 5th start beyond that was 5.2ip, 3er ... so basically 5 QS in a row. He does struggle against lefties ... but we don't have lefties. Since June and 12 starts his ERA is much closer to the upper 3's. Finally, Yoan, Eloy and Robert are a combined 0-31 against Bubic and Abreu is 2-16. Thats 3-37 from the middle of your lineup. 

This has the makings of another 3-2, or 2-3 type final. 

With what you are saying since he has this streak of 4 quality starts in a row, you are confirming my point. The Sox batters even more so now, will once again as they have all year, make a mediocre pitcher look like Cy Young! 

What makes this even more disgusting, is we are 7-6 against KC this year. the Royals are a team that is 21 games under 500 and 6 games under 500 at home.