Fernando Tatis suspended 80 Games for PEDs

Balta1701

3 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Not a big Tatis fan but I gotta think he was taking it this year to help him to get back onto the field. Dude already secured $340 mill. Think he’s still the same caliber player that he was.

Those are some BIG assumptions. I think many White Sox fans are underestimating the severity of this situation (probably because they like to shit on Hahn for the trade). How much value does an oft-injured, immature, PED user have? Especially one that is signed for $300M+ over the next 12 years? This is a very bad situation for the Padres. You can tolerate some of his antics if he’s performing at a high level but if his on field performance drops off after he stops using PEDs (and he will unless he’s dumb enough to risk many more millions), he becomes an enormous liability for many years. I’m sure the Padres would love to dump him but he’s untradeable at this point.

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Those are some BIG assumptions. I think many White Sox fans are underestimating the severity of this situation (probably because they like to shit on Hahn for the trade). How much value does an oft-injured, immature, PED user have? Especially one that is signed for $300M+ over the next 12 years? This is a very bad situation for the Padres. You can tolerate some of his antics if he’s performing at a high level but if his on field performance drops off after he stops using PEDs (and he will unless he’s dumb enough to risk many more millions), he becomes an enormous liability for many years. I’m sure the Padres would love to dump him but he’s untradeable at this point.

By all indications, he's dumb enough.

33 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Just as it’s big assumptions to say he’s been doing it his whole career. Hasn’t tested negative til now. We can just agree to disagree bud.

4 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

I can't imagine spending so much time shitting on a White Sox player just to make a steroid cheat look better. 

Nope, just that Robert Moncada and Jimenez deals cumulatively carry similar risks.

It's not like the Padres are going to turn around and trade Soto when they've already sold out or essentially limited to just selected individual game sales.  That money is already locked in since the trade deadline moves.

On 8/13/2022 at 3:36 AM, caulfield12 said:

Signing Elijah Tatis was brilliant.

Most international prospects don't make it but I still wonder if elijah was a bad signing, at 500k he wasn't a high end signing but not a super cheap flier either. 

So far he struck out almost 50% while also not hitting for any power basically performing like an NL pitcher at the plate. 

Shouldn't a 500k guy not at least have one good trait at the plate? 

Was he signed just for his name? 

I don't mind signing such a guy for 50k but for 500k you at least want some skill, right? 

Of course sox player dev doesn't help with that type of raw prospect either but you would at least expect some glimpse of potential as one skill. 

Edited by Dominikk85

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

Most international prospects don't make it but I still wonder if elijah was a bad signing, at 500k he wasn't a high end signing but not a super cheap flier either. 

So far he struck out almost 50% while also not hitting for any power basically performing like an NL pitcher at the plate. 

I don't mind signing such a guy for 50k but for 500k you at least want some skill, right? 

Of course sox player dev doesn't help with that type of raw prospect either but you would at least expect some glimpse of potential as one skill. 

Already waived/released, just last week.   We did same with Franmil Reyes’ brother and pretty sure a Vladdy Guerrero cousin.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Already waived/released, just last week.   We did same with Franmil Reyes’ brother and pretty sure a Vladdy Guerrero cousin.

Yeah sure but why spend 500k on elijah then instead of getting a real prospect. I don't mind some kind of courtesy signing for 10k but 500k is real international money and could buy you a real prospect. 

6 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

Supposedly the real prizes are the oldest and the youngest of the Tatis boys.  If signing this one leads us to have an in with the youngest one, its cool.  Call is a 500k bribe or whatever.

On 8/12/2022 at 6:29 PM, South Sider said:

That's a bit surprising. Maybe trying to use them for his injury issues?

Having him and all of his various ailments on the team.. hed actually fit right in. Maybe not with the PEDs though.

this was the first thing that came to mind, recover from his injury faster similar to Andy Petitte

10 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Supposedly the real prizes are the oldest and the youngest of the Tatis boys.  If signing this one leads us to have an in with the youngest one, its cool.  Call is a 500k bribe or whatever.

https://www.facebook.com/daniel.fernandotatis.5/about

He's a catcher right now from all indications...hard to find much information about him.

https://celebs.infoseemedia.com/fernando-tatis-jr/fernando-tatis-jr-brother-daniel-fernando-tatis/

Edited by caulfield12

In November, Tatis opted out of having shoulder surgery. His decision, which was made after consultation with doctors and people close to him, was against the wishes of the Padres.

“Not surprised at all,” said one person around the team at the time. “He does what he wants.”

That might have been an exaggeration, but Tatis had developed quite a reputation. As Athletics reported after his infamous confrontation with Manny Machado in September, some in the Padres department believed Tatis’ frustration stemmed from the mounting pressure he felt as the club’s playoff chances and his own MVP candidacy slipped away. Others said the then 22-year-old could be immature and occasionally ranting, adding that his energy — positive and negative — was contagious. There were people in the organization who said such behavior was not new, suggesting the Padres had given Tati special treatment throughout his time in the minor leagues.

Last offseason, the major-league lockout resulted in a loss of direct communication. But the Padres’ diligence was called into question after the rough timeline of Tatis’ wrist injury was revealed. After reports of a motorcycle spill, the team, apparently satisfied with assurances from third parties, did not send doctors to the Dominican Republic to examine Tatis. A three-month delay between his first injury and his wrist surgery meant he had to endure a slower recovery.

The Padres tried to be cautious about that process, but in June, Tatis was seen at Petco Park swinging in an indoor batting cage. Team officials were caught off guard. Some later acknowledged that Tatis had started taking unauthorized swings, albeit light ones, even earlier than that. Still, his return from injury continued at what sometimes felt like a snail’s pace; Tatis did not begin a rehab assignment until this past weekend.

It did not last long. Friday’s stunning revelation did not paint anyone in a positive light. Tatis had been busted for gross negligence at best or fraud and dishonesty at worst. If the Padres fail to make the postseason, he will end up missing more than half of his first 578 opportunities to play a major-league regular-season game. The team, meanwhile, has suffered a thorough embarrassment just 18 months after characterizing Tatis’ extension as a slam dunk. Preller has long prided himself on knowing the lineup of players, but his most prized asset has joined James Shields, Wil Myers and Eric Hosmer on a list of questionable contracts.

https://aumag.net/fernando-tatis-jr-has-a-lot-to-learn-and-so-do-the-padres-after-another-big-contract-gone-awry/

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

I believe James has indicated as much in the past as well when talking about him and about how Paddy's got an in with the family (clearly). But you also have to imagine that at that age he can be flexible with his position.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

I believe James has indicated as much in the past as well when talking about him and about how Paddy's got an in with the family (clearly). But you also have to imagine that at that age he can be flexible with his position.

From the White Sox perspective, not all that sure it's good to be connected to the Tatis family anymore...

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

From the White Sox perspective, not all that sure it's good to be connected to the Tatis family anymore...

While Tatis Sr.'s comments have been Lavar level dumb in wake of Jr. getting popped for steroids, if Daniel Tatis is a good prospect, I don't care what his last name is, sign him.