Jump to content

Luis Robert hurt. Again.


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

In the Japanese majors . Limited time of course but he didn't suck and those who do not suck over a longer period of time in Japan come to MLB and some even do well. Normally it's the bigger + talented Japanese players but Colas is not small in stature.

Plenty of Japanese player would have good careers in MLB. It's just very hard for them to uproot their lives and often they are tied to their team for many years.

Colas had to really make a stink to get out of his commitment to his Japanese team then missed a lot of time because of that and then waiting for when MLB could draft him internationally.

For a guy who hasn't played in a while and again a stranger in a strange land he has done remarkably well.

 

Not disagreeing with the fact that he's talented and has had success in the US minors.

I am questioning the urgency of bringing him up now. Why not let him get regular ABs in AAA where he is (likely) challenged in a lower pressure setting. You won't hurt his development by giving him an extra 2 months in the minors here, but you sure as shit can do long term harm by rushing prospects too fast. Do we know how well opposing pitchers have adjusted to Colas so far? And if he's been forced to adjust in response?

I don't want Colas to turn into the Cuban Gordon Beckham at the plate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, JoeC said:

 

I am questioning the urgency of bringing him up now.

In the minors you can sit 2-0 / 3-1 and mash.  He is often facing kids with the stuff and velo but in many plate appearances you can just wait for the perfect situation.  The command obviously improves in MLB.  That is what separates AAAA players from the real deal.  I don't think you can really hash that out until you get to the show.  Sure, you are risking his confidence but I'm not sure that changes for a 23 year old with him getting the remaining 75 plate appearances in Charlotte.  

I think they are brining him up because we didn't take a "free for the hauling" right fielder at the deadline. 

We were either so cash strapped that we couldn't pick up a few bucks remaining on a deal (and unwilling or unable to move prospect capital to cover it) or Hahn plans to bring up Colas IMHO.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Broken ankle lol.  Torn knee ligaments or groin/hip flexor again.

There is always a chance to get injured on a slide regardless of how you slide. Yet, according to all the research and stats, more injuries occur yearly on head first slides than feet first slides. Robert's already missed one game and who knows how many more. Is losing his bat in this already anemic offense worth taking chances? The Sox have played 114 games thus far. Robert is 11-14 in SB attempts. We are talking about 11 attempts in 114 games! Is it really worth the riskier slide or missing games? 

MLB did research a few years back on the head first slide covering a 5 year period. The average headfirst sliding injury caused about 15 days of missed work with some injuries requiring surgery and months long absences from the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

There is always a chance to get injured on a slide regardless of how you slide. Yet, according to all the research and stats, more injuries occur yearly on head first slides than feet first slides. Robert's already missed one game and who knows how many more. Is losing his bat in this already anemic offense worth taking chances? The Sox have played 114 games thus far. Robert is 11-14 in SB attempts. We are talking about 11 attempts in 114 games! Is it really worth the riskier slide or missing games? 

MLB did research a few years back on the head first slide covering a 5 year period. The average headfirst sliding injury caused about 15 days of missed work with some injuries requiring surgery and months long absences from the game.

I think the oven mitt has helped lower the head first injuries. I just think some guys are going to get hurt mo matter what. And some either can avoid it or have such a high threshold of pain, they can play through it. The lot 50 years, no one had more headfirst slides than Rickey Henderson and Pete Rose. And I don't think either missed much time because of that choice. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I think the oven mitt has helped lower the head first injuries. I just think some guys are going to get hurt mo matter what. And some either can avoid it or have such a high threshold of pain, they can play through it. The lot 50 years, no one had more headfirst slides than Rickey Henderson and Pete Rose. And I don't think either missed much time because of that choice. 

 

 

 

 

Well the mitt didn't help Robert that play! Again, he easily beat the throw and a simple feet first slide would have been a successful steal and most likely no injury. 

Btw, Henderson did steal a lot of bases head first, but back then, the 2B or SS covering for the tag usually did not aggressively block the base path and base itself like the idiot Schoop did. There are tons of You Tube videos to go check out and I am posting just one that shows how conservative the SS and 2B were with defending the stolen base attempt. If Schoop would have handled the throw like they did way back, then Robert mostly likely wouldn't have been injured. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JoeC said:

Not disagreeing with the fact that he's talented and has had success in the US minors.

I am questioning the urgency of bringing him up now. Why not let him get regular ABs in AAA where he is (likely) challenged in a lower pressure setting. You won't hurt his development by giving him an extra 2 months in the minors here, but you sure as shit can do long term harm by rushing prospects too fast. Do we know how well opposing pitchers have adjusted to Colas so far? And if he's been forced to adjust in response?

I don't want Colas to turn into the Cuban Gordon Beckham at the plate.

All well and good however what are we saving him for ? Every year of the rebuild the team gets worse and worse. If the Sox can make the playoffs this year they might need Colas to do it. With the guys in charge there's no guarantee the Sox reach the playoffs at all in Cola's tenure with the Sox. He can hit lefties and righties so there's no built in disadvantage to playing him every day and most of his power comes against RHP so that fits the bill nicely. Good players become great when they are in the playoffs all the time and can become legends. If you can't perform with a minor spotlight on you in Chicago , how are you going to do it in the playoffs or World Series ?

All I know is he is better than the guys playing the field and batting right now. If there's going to be some adjustment period let him get it over with now.

Sosa may not have been ready but so what ? He's learning on the job. That's a newbie and a rookie for you. He had one good game and he's very capable of more.

Play Colas against the Astros and Guardians . Everyone is expecting the Sox to get their asses kicked but how cool would it be to win a lot of those games with Colas in the lineup ? It might change some minds about the Sox chances in the playoffs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

All well and good however what are we saving him for ? Every year of the rebuild the team gets worse and worse. If the Sox can make the playoffs this year they might need Colas to do it. With the guys in charge there's no guarantee the Sox reach the playoffs at all in Cola's tenure with the Sox. He can hit lefties and righties so there's no built in disadvantage to playing him every day and most of his power comes against RHP so that fits the bill nicely. Good players become great when they are in the playoffs all the time and can become legends. If you can't perform with a minor spotlight on you in Chicago , how are you going to do it in the playoffs or World Series ?

All I know is he is better than the guys playing the field and batting right now. If there's going to be some adjustment period let him get it over with now.

Sosa may not have been ready but so what ? He's learning on the job. That's a newbie and a rookie for you. He had one good game and he's very capable of more.

Play Colas against the Astros and Guardians . Everyone is expecting the Sox to get their asses kicked but how cool would it be to win a lot of those games with Colas in the lineup ? It might change some minds about the Sox chances in the playoffs.

I guess i have always looked at rushing prospects to the big league level as a riskier proposition. You may succeed, but you are likely to have a lower chance of succeeding versus having them mature more in the minors. I have always taken the conservative approach to this (lower risk).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I guess i have always looked at rushing prospects to the big league level as a riskier proposition. You may succeed, but you are likely to have a lower chance of succeeding versus having them mature more in the minors. I have always taken the conservative approach to this (lower risk).

I understand but plenty of hitters succeed at younger going on 24 in a month. I know we haven't seen him in the minors long and it sucks he's missed so much time but that's the way it happened.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I understand but plenty of hitters succeed at younger going on 24 in a month. I know we haven't seen him in the minors long and it sucks he's missed so much time but that's the way it happened.

Agreed.

...but can you think of a worse development environment than these Sox, especially for a hitter?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Agreed.

...but can you think of a worse development environment than these Sox, especially for a hitter?

I'm no expert and I'm not sure there is one on this site for how all MLB teams develop their hitters . That's a vast amount of knowledge. But since he is with the Sox, talent wins out over development usually . I think all hitters tinker to some degree but I mean there's vast amounts of knowledge for hitters to consume in books from Ted Williams and many others .Frank Thomas just let his hitting do all the talking and he could've probably been brought up sooner than he was. He never missed a beat.

I think it's always best to say, given our ignorance, that while it appears the Sox don't do everything they can, due to Jerry skimping on player development and many other areas, that if the Sox are so bad, get him in AAA asap and if he keeps mashing for 2 weeks bring him up. They won't follow my timeline but it's impossible to say if a hitter just wasn't talented enough or if it was coaches who screwed then up. I think most players who fail blame themselves because they are the ones ultimately in charge of what feels best to them.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm no expert and I'm not sure there is one on this site for how all MLB teams develop their hitters . That's a vast amount of knowledge. But since he is with the Sox, talent wins out over development usually . I think all hitters tinker to some degree but I mean there's vast amounts of knowledge for hitters to consume in books from Ted Williams and many others .Frank Thomas just let his hitting do all the talking and he could've probably been brought up sooner than he was. He never missed a beat.

I think it's always best to say, given our ignorance, that while it appears the Sox don't do everything they can, due to Jerry skimping on player development and many other areas, that if the Sox are so bad, get him in AAA asap and if he keeps mashing for 2 weeks bring him up. They won't follow my timeline but it's impossible to say if a hitter just wasn't talented enough or if it was coaches who screwed then up. I think most players who fail blame themselves because they are the ones ultimately in charge of what feels best to them.

 

Probably too late in just a couple of weeks.  Already this week CLE hosts DET for three and then there’s the White Sox this weekend.

Bringing him now against Houston, CLE and Baltimore…pretty ballsy, which is the opposite of Hahn.

Also, Sosa’s struggles will be used against that move from AA, and TLR not wanting to play younger guys other than Sheets unless there’s little to no other choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Probably too late in just a couple of weeks.  Already this week CLE hosts DET for three and then there’s the White Sox this weekend.

Bringing him now against Houston, CLE and Baltimore…pretty ballsy, which is the opposite of Hahn.

Also, Sosa’s struggles will be used against that move from AA, and TLR not wanting to play younger guys other than Sheets unless there’s little to no other choice.

It's not my ballsies on the line. I'd have him up right now to face the Astros. Sox aren't magically going to start hitting until there is a lefty hitter in the lineup who inspires some trepidation from the opposition .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Any new info on Robert?  Will we see him for the Houston series?

They flew his mom in to kiss the booboo, he should be able to play in the next week or so

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Not in the lineup tonight. Where's our godsam game thread???

This has been one of the worst stretches of starting game threads I can remember. Maybe that’s why we keep winning. 

Edited by SoxBlanco
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/14/2022 at 4:34 PM, JoeC said:

I guess i have always looked at rushing prospects to the big league level as a riskier proposition. You may succeed, but you are likely to have a lower chance of succeeding versus having them mature more in the minors. I have always taken the conservative approach to this (lower risk).

It’s interesting that baseball prospects typically graduate high school, go thru college, and spend a few years in the minors before reaching the majors, but football stars go straight from college, and basketball stars sometimes straight from high school.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

It’s interesting that baseball prospects typically graduate high school, go thru college, and spend a few years in the minors before reaching the majors, but football stars go straight from college, and basketball stars sometimes straight from high school.

 

Baseball is fucking hard at the professional level.  Not saying the other sports are easy but as baseball progresses it gets more technical and less about overall physical talent, playing the chess game with the opposing pitcher or hitter.  A lot of times the players that make the HS jump in NBA are men among boys at that level.  In football I would say a QBs journey is probably the most similar to a MLB players in terms of progressing and just having to learn more and more to stay at the top of their games.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Greg Hibbard said:

So where are we at on this today? It’s so aggravating to get literally no updates on this 

We got multiple updates yesterday from Fegan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...