McGuire Throws Shade at Sox Clubhouse

CWSpalehoseCWS

48 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Who said he's "happier playing out the string?" Heck - show me a quote where McGuire showed discontent with the White Sox and that he's happier playing for the Red Sox.

Heck - show me where he actually talked about the White Sox's clubhouse or the White Sox in general after the trade.

It's being implied that he is talking about the White Sox. That is what the thread is about. And he sure does sound like he's found Nirvana playing for a last place team that supposedly wants to win, but acquired him for a contract dump.

Edited by Dick Allen

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It's being implied that he is talking about the White Sox. That is what the thread is about. And he sure does sound like he's found Nirvana playing for a last place team that supposedly wants to win, but acquired him for a contract dump.

It's implied by others that he's comparing his comments about the Red Sox with his experience with the White Sox.

Can you show me where he talks about the White Sox?

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think we would have to go and rehash what exactly was said by who. Keuchel talked a lot. Can't remember if he ever questioned work ethic. Plus comments about lack of fire from Cueto may just be character traits in some people.

But in sports you're supposed to be passionate and when around a bunch of guys screaming and yelling and showing fire even quiet people can get caught up in it. So if Cueto thinks he isn't seeing enough of it that says something about the team as a whole because once that fire is burning it's infectious.

There's something to be said about being a quiet professional who just goes about his business and getting the job done. However, sports isn't like that. The old days are over about showboating , showing passion or playing like an automaton. But even in the old days coaches and players fire up their teams with rah rah speeches, raised voices about kicking ass and all that.

Giolito also said Cueto made some good points in a recent Podcast with Garfien.

I agree not all players are necessarily going to be loud and outgoing leaders like a Cueto or Giolito. Take Vaughn for example. He personally said that he agreed the team needs more fire and passion. He also said his normal personality is to be more a quiet and a silent leader. However we know he cares and hates losing. Last night every time he struck out or grounded out, you could tell he was pissed. The one groundball out he had, he took his bat and pounded it hard in the ground. 

The bottom line is, this team isn't playing with the same passion, energy, confidence and fun as they did two years ago before LaRussa.

46 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He's 100% talking about the Sox, like everyone else has who has talked shit. Hopefully a big part of the problem has been removed during the stretch run.

• Like 1