AAP: Noah Schultz

knightni

Top pick by the Sox in the 2022 MLB Draft.

6'8" lanky HS Lefty pitcher from Oswego IL.

Local product, was going to Vanderbilt - Cradle of future MLB pitchers.

Probably going to spend time in Arizona until the Spring.

May be assigned to Rookie ball next year due to his youth.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I was hoping someone could help me with the way Noah Schultz is being handled. I don't follow the minors as close as some other here do. However I really like the chances on this Noah Schultz and hope we don't screw him up. 

As we know he is killing it at Kannapolis through his first five starts. My questions are the following:

1. Why are they throwing him every 6 to 7 days? That is fine I guess since he is only 19 yrs old, but then he only goes for 2 innings or like the last start 3 innings.

2. I see they moved some players up across all levels. I'm wondering at what point are they going to move Noah up to high A WS? I mean he hasn't given up a run in 5 starts and only one hit, just maybe low A isn't very challenging. 

I am not expecting the Sox to rush him up all these levels and screw his timeframe to make the majors, but maybe high A would be a good thing for him sooner than later. I guess I question the judgment of the Sox FO because obviously need to be questioned, since the last few years the Sox have been of the worst farm systems in baseball.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 1:35 PM, The Kids Can Play said:

I was hoping someone could help me with the way Noah Schultz is being handled. I don't follow the minors as close as some other here do. However I really like the chances on this Noah Schultz and hope we don't screw him up. 

As we know he is killing it at Kannapolis through his first five starts. My questions are the following:

1. Why are they throwing him every 6 to 7 days? That is fine I guess since he is only 19 yrs old, but then he only goes for 2 innings or like the last start 3 innings.

2. I see they moved some players up across all levels. I'm wondering at what point are they going to move Noah up to high A WS? I mean he hasn't given up a run in 5 starts and only one hit, just maybe low A isn't very challenging. 

I am not expecting the Sox to rush him up all these levels and screw his timeframe to make the majors, but maybe high A would be a good thing for him sooner than later. I guess I question the judgment of the Sox FO because obviously need to be questioned, since the last few years the Sox have been of the worst farm systems in baseball.

1. In the minors now all teams mostly have their pitchers start once per week.  So like every Saturday Schultz will start.  Usually this is the case up until AAA.  It is a way to control and limit innings to try and keep pitchers healthy. 

2. I wouldn't expect Schultz up at WS until later in the season if at all.  He missed a chunk of time with his injury to start spring training so I would imagine they slow play this season even more.  

Right now its more about just getting some exposure and feel for the pro game.  He will slowly be allowed to go deeper into games with regard to pitch count.   Next season at A+ will be when he really gets unleashed imo. 

I would personally like to see him pitch in the AFL this year but I'm not sure the Sox will do that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

1. In the minors now all teams mostly have their pitchers start once per week.  So like every Saturday Schultz will start.  Usually this is the case up until AAA.  It is a way to control and limit innings to try and keep pitchers healthy. 

2. I wouldn't expect Schultz up at WS until later in the season if at all.  He missed a chunk of time with his injury to start spring training so I would imagine they slow play this season even more.  

Right now its more about just getting some exposure and feel for the pro game.  He will slowly be allowed to go deeper into games with regard to pitch count.   Next season at A+ will be when he really gets unleashed imo. 

I would personally like to see him pitch in the AFL this year but I'm not sure the Sox will do that. 

Thanks for the answer and that makes sense.

• Like 1