Per Passan, Elvis Andrus signing with White Sox, joining team in Cleveland

KrankinSox

3 hours ago, Soxfest said:

Better than playing Sosa or Gonzalez

Andrus is finished. Sosa and maybe Gonzalez have a future. Playing Andrus will only ensure that we won't have 

a MLB ready player next year for 2B. It's what stupid teams do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, zisk said:

Andrus is finished. Sosa and maybe Gonzalez have a future. Playing Andrus will only ensure that we won't have 

But expected.  This type of move is the M.O. of this front office.
Maybe it will work out for once.

55 minutes ago, zisk said:

Maybe, maybe not. No guarantees what the G.M. may do in the off season, he may ignore Sosa or Gonzales completely and get another mediocre veteran player. The Sox still have a chance to make the post season (I don't think they'll be around long if they do but that's for another time), shortstop is a key position. The Sox defensively are challenged the way it is, putting a guy at that spot who has shown to be able to play the position is pretty important right now in my opinion.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, zisk said:

By this logic why have a AAA team at all?

It’s not just an overflow roster.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Give me the guy hitting .237 over the guy hitting .114.

Yes, in a static world this would be an upgrade.  The world were old decliners stop declining and young players don't improve. That's how the FO has seen things for years.
Hopefully it works out for 2 months.

22 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Yes, in a static world this would be an upgrade.  The world were old decliners stop declining and young players don't improve. That's how the FO has seen things for years.

How can you say this?

Robert, Jimenez, Cease, Kopech, Vaughan, Sheets were all brought up when they could have been left down longer.....Collins had no business being given opportunities 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I mean, the definition for "success" of this signing is literally "Andrus doesn't completely suck."

He can be below average (or even moderately suck), and I'd consider it a success. The replacements (Sosa, Romy) are not viable ML players at this point, given the circumstances.

24 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Well do we really have confidence in the young guys being at a level where they can step up and contribute any time soon rather than being a black hole? That’s not a thing this franchise does very well.

And yes, other franchises can do this and the white Sox can’t, this is a separate issue.

• Like 1

I'm not going to complain about what amounts to a "no brainer" move.  I would put Cueto in that same category and that obviously worked out great.  If it doesn't work, you move on.....after Elvis night of course.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well do we really have confidence in the young guys being at a level where they can step up and contribute any time soon rather than being a black hole? That’s not a thing this franchise does very well.

And yes, other franchises can do this and the white Sox can’t, this is a separate issue.

Sosa has looked so overmatched. Not saying he won’t improve but just don’t think it will be this year. The offense isn’t good enough to wait.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, zisk said:

Sosa clearly needs time in AAA. Romy is at best a utility infielder. Andrus can at least provide average SS play until TA gets back. 

Edited by HoosierSox

26 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't disagree with anything in your post.

To me, adding Andrus is like bunting:  it probably has a higher chance to score one run - to  be just enough to eek into the playoffs.
I just think young players  (and I would go beyond just SS; don't see much value from Pollock either) increase the odds of us actually being good; and better prepare and position the team for the next year or three.  And part of the reason for my position on this is that I'm not convinced that the team, as is, is simply good enough even if Andrus plays decently.  At least not with this power outage.

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I don't disagree with anything in your post.

To me, adding Andrus is like bunting:  it probably has a higher chance to score one run - to  be just enough to eek into the playoffs.
I just think young players  (and I would go beyond just SS; don't see much value from Pollock either) increase the odds of us actually being good; and better prepare and position the team for the next year or three.  And part of the reason for my position on this is that I'm not convinced that the team, as is, is simply good enough even if Andrus plays decently.  At least not with this power outage.

What is it about Romy and Sosa that makes you think they're going to be productive at the big league level?

11 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Maybe, maybe not. No guarantees what the G.M. may do in the off season, he may ignore Sosa or Gonzales completely and get another mediocre veteran player. The Sox still have a chance to make the post season (I don't think they'll be around long if they do but that's for another time), shortstop is a key position. The Sox defensively are challenged the way it is, putting a guy at that spot who has shown to be able to play the position is pretty important right now in my opinion.

Yes it is plus Andrus hits Cleveland very well in his career at their field.

9 minutes ago, JoeC said:

What is it about Romy and Sosa that makes you think they're going to be productive at the big league level?

I just  think this team needs a "hail mary." (and I wouldn't necessarily limit the "hail mary" to those 2). hopefully the Cleveland series will reveal that  I'm premature on that. 

13 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I just  think this team needs a "hail mary." (and I wouldn't necessarily limit the "hail mary" to those 2). hopefully the Cleveland series will reveal that  I'm premature on that. 

2 Hail Marys, 1 Our Father, and an Oscar Colas

Edited by wegner
Apologize for missing the Oxford Comma 1st time for those fans of Vampire Weekend
  • Like 1