8/19 Gamethread: White Sox vs. The Artist Formerly Known As The I****ns, Lynn vs. McKenzie

KrankinSox

17 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

In the 8th inning on a swinging strike he appeared to twist his right leg/knee/ankle and limped around. He never finished the at-bat.

That's just insane, Another MRI at the very least. If he is really hurt, geez, you have to say it's never going to get better. He and Robert certainly get hurt too much.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

🤦🏽‍♀🤦🏽‍♀🤦🏽‍♀

I'd have to disagree. The most ridiculous thing this year has been the incompetence, dysfunction of this organization from top to bottom. They don't even seem to have a competent medical/training staff that can give proper information and know when guys should go on the IL. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I mean Hahn wanted to go all out for Machado and Harper....KW and/or JR said nope.  It happens all the time, unlike real MLB organizations that the GM has a lot of freedom Hahn literally has none.  He is GM in name only while JR is mostly making the decisions, if we want changes he needs to sell the team.  JR refuses to hand out big contracts that means any legit player is off limits for the Sox

Harper, Semien, Stager, deGrom, Scherzer, Soto, hell name any player with over a $100 million contract and they are automatically nixed by JR

Hahn also thought that a fair offer for Machado was $175 million over 8 years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Hahn also thought that a fair offer for Machado was $175 million over 8 years. 

That's true but remember Kenny's quote (paraphrasing) 'We couldn't go the additional years because we needed to be sure we had money to pay our own players.'

11 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

That's true but remember Kenny's quote (paraphrasing) 'We couldn't go the additional years because we needed to be sure we had money to pay our own players.'

If it was uo to RH the offer would have been higher, but it's not.  Other organizations it probably is 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

They spent 24 million on Kimbrel and Kelly.  There were avenues to take to upgrade the offense.

Conforto, who everyone on this board but me it seemed wanted Hahn to spend big on (yea I know I wasn't the only one lol)

How would that have turned out lmao

7 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Conforto, who everyone on this board but me it seemed wanted Hahn to spend big on (yea I know I wasn't the only one lol)

How would that have turned out lmao

They knew long before we did he was injured, and they still had no plan b for a lefty hitter

Anyone with a brain knew Hahn’s offseason was a disaster.  It’s not like he made amazing acquisitions that just didn’t work out.  Nearly all the moves he made, made no sense, given the roster and what their weaknesses were.  That’s why so many of us are pissed.  It’s not like he acquired Juan Soto, only for him to have a bad year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • Hawk 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

There are press people who said that the driving force in the Kelly acquisition was LaRussa. So while I don’t have any urge to let Hahn off the hook, I don’t want to let LaRussa off the hook for the bullpen signings either.

Of course no one deserves to be off the hook.

2 hours ago, hankchifan said:

Stoney comments at the end of the game “we saw some unusual things in the game tonight, very frustrating, one of the most frustrating games of the year”.  Got to believe he was referring to TLR inexplicable moves.  After tonight TLRis only supported by Himself and JR..

And as long as he has Jerry, nothing else matters. 

1 hour ago, Polar Bear said:

Lol.  But they had no money in the budget so they couldn't have offered Rodon the QO, does no one get this.  You are at roughly 180 million with 200 the max, you can't offer Rodon the QO bc if he takes it your offseason was done.  No Cueto, no Kelly, no Harrison, etc. 

Kelly, Harrison, and Leury were awful signings from the beginning. Cueto was an emergency signing after Lynn went down and wasn’t even part of the “off-season”. 

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Will Rick Hahn get visible upset the next time a media person says or writes that he's "injury prone?"

Garfein  opined that Eloy  should have manned up and stayed in the game after he tweaked something, without even knowing what it was. Maybe it was the hamstring or something associated with the surgery he had on his leg.

I don't care which player might be "injury prone" ..the Sox training staff have to find a way to keep Eloy and Robert on the field

Edited by tray
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tray said:

Garfein  opined that Eloy  should have manned up and stayed in the game after he tweaked something, without even knowing what it was. Maybe it was the hamstring or something associated with the surgery he had on his leg.

I don't care which player might be "injury prone" ..the Sox training staff have to find a way to keep Eloy and Robert on the field

Absolutely. This team is nowhere without those two. Honestly, where do we think the hype of this team emanated from the beginning? Sure, Anderson, Yoan, Cease, and Vaughn help but it was these two who were the studs. 

This is still a young, talented nucleus to play around Jose. They just need to get stronger and get through what has been a painful year. The front office also has to do a better job building around it. Lynn and Hendricks are fine. The rest just really hasn’t panned out.

and I don’t want to pile on the TLR hate that is so present here after every loss but this is the wrong team for him. This team needs energy and someone who can take the pressure off a young nucleus.

• Like 2
  • Hawk 1

11 minutes ago, soxfaninfl said:

Absolutely. This team is nowhere without those two. Honestly, where do we think the hype of this team emanated from the beginning? Sure, Anderson, Yoan, Cease, and Vaughn help but it was these two who were the studs. 

This is still a young, talented nucleus to play around Jose. They just need to get stronger and get through what has been a painful year. The front office also has to do a better job building around it. Lynn and Hendricks are fine. The rest just really hasn’t panned out.

and I don’t want to pile on the TLR hate that is so present here after every loss but this is the wrong team for him. This team needs energy and someone who can take the pressure off a young nucleus.

100%.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I'd have to disagree. The most ridiculous thing this year has been the incompetence, dysfunction of this organization from top to bottom. They don't even seem to have a competent medical/training staff that can give proper information and know when guys should go on the IL. 

Did he really walk another guy on 1-2? I love Tony but if so, he's truly lost it. Totally. Look in modern baseball, 1-2 is soooooo near a K. All u gotta do at that point is bury one and the batter breezes at it. Tony knows this. U just can't walk guys intentionally with 1-2 counts. Cmon. I fear Tony truly may need an exam at 77.

17 minutes ago, soxfaninfl said:

Don’t want to pile on?  He doesn’t give a shit about the fans. He talks down to the fans at every chance he gets.  He’s a scumbag and a cancer in this organization.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

Don’t want to pile on?  He doesn’t give a shit about the fans. He talks down to the fans at every chance he gets.  He’s a scumbag and a cancer in this organization.

Oh, I can pile on from the pitch selection to Kwan to the stupid shift on a darn good hitter, but the humbling fact is that Cleveland just plays a better brand of baseball than the Sox do right now. That’s on the management. Happened too many times this year. 

I would like to think this year is just growing pains but we do have to play smarter and get a helluva lot stronger. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soxfaninfl said:

Oh, I can pile on from the pitch selection to Kwan to the stupid shift on a darn good hitter, but the humbling fact is that Cleveland just plays a better brand of baseball than the Sox do right now. That’s on the management. Happened too many times this year. 

I would like to think this year is just growing pains but we do have to play smarter and get a helluva lot stronger. 

They are in year six after the rebuild started and year three of the "contention window"...how long do growing pains lasts?

Compare where the White Sox are at this stage to where the Astros and Cubs were in their rebuilds.

I'm sorry I can't buy that opinion.

Edited by Lip Man 1

2 hours ago, tray said:

With respect since around 2016 the White Sox medical, conditioning and training staffs have been unable to keep anybody especially the core players healthy. Anderson, Moncada, Jimenez, Robert has missed time every...single...season. Think about that one. And there are others.

This from an organization that took great pride, deservedly so, in keeping players healthy. 

Something has gone badly off the rails. What it is, we don't know. The Sox never publicly released the findings from their injury study this past off season. I know from sources that Alan Thomas resigned (or was fired depending on who you talk to) because he disagreed with the conclusions.

This season the disconnect between what TLR has been telling the media and guys playing or not playing has been comical. Robert being the latest example. TLR just this past week three times told the media Robert may play the next day. Yet he isn't. 

The bizarreness as well over his "lightheadedness" also raised questions about what was going on, about the secrecy and why no one in the organization could give a clear answer to his situation.

Bummer's injury wasn't considered serious...he's been out for what? Two and a half months.

Grandal's injury supposedly wasn't a problem...he was out over a month.

It's just one thing after another.

A White Sox senior medical advisor who was hired a few years ago and is still in that position today, was fired by the Red Sox (I posted the link in another thread) because of giving players controversial injections. 

It's not a good situation.

If I was in charge I would completely fire the entire medical, conditioning and training staffs and start fresh with new hires, new input, new ways of looking at these issues because clearly what is taking place right now is not working.

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hawk 1

3 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

TLR doesn’t know that hitters with 2 strikes average less than .200   The .300 avg that he refers to is average of all counts not just a 1-2 count.  What an incompetent.  Pls recall his HOF plaque.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Did he really walk another guy on 1-2? I love Tony but if so, he's truly lost it. Totally. Look in modern baseball, 1-2 is soooooo near a K. All u gotta do at that point is bury one and the batter breezes at it. Tony knows this. U just can't walk guys intentionally with 1-2 counts. Cmon. I fear Tony truly may need an exam at 77.

Tony explained that he walked Gonzalez on a 1-2 count because he was hitting .300. But hitters on 1-2 counts hit under .200. He has lost it.

• Like 1