Never hear anyone questioning this

Jnooch

25 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I still can’t believe we are fucking up one of the greatest collections of young talent in baseball history.  Somehow fucking that up is incredible.  

Given the limited success under this current ownership (not that there was a lot of success before JR) maybe we shouldn't be that surprised.

35 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I still can’t believe we are fucking up one of the greatest collections of young talent in baseball history.  Somehow fucking that up is incredible.  

Man I appreciate this - 30 years, 2nd to my love of music as diversions in life, and I’m just a bit confused, despite all we’ve talked about here on ST, that this team just isn’t really competing…

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yeah we’re not talking about a bunch of MVP caliber players 

There's a lot of above average (when healthy) position players here but no real game changers outside of Cease and maybe Kopech on the pitching side.  

2 pitchers ain't going to cut it, they needed a superstar position player and all they got was above average and injured. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

I think Grandal DHs because he has a huge veteran contract.  I wouldn’t say it’s exclusively because Tony is an idiot.  He is an idiot.  But this one comes from upstairs probably.   Am I crazy?

I'm in the minority but this line of thinking (probably true btw) is crap. If you're going to pay Grandal, would you rather pay him to rot on the bench or pay him to be in the lineup and literally hurt the team?

I'm not saying you disagree but if FO's really have such a collective ego that they can't put his stupid ass on the bench because of his contract, fuck 'em

21 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

There's a lot of above average (when healthy) position players here but no real game changers outside of Cease and maybe Kopech on the pitching side.  

2 pitchers ain't going to cut it, they needed a superstar position player and all they got was above average and injured. 

History unfortunately has shown this ownership would rather spend millions on what I call stiffs, has been's, guys over 30, guys coming off injury rather than go the distance and get the "superstar" position player. There always seems to be a reason why they can't get it done.

9 hours ago, White Sox Park said:

I love the way Abreu plays the game . like yesterday with his hammy giving him trouble . he doesn't run off the field, to the training room, during play, he stiffs it out . and he's the one guy that i want at the plate with the game on the line . most of these other guys just seem like filler to me now . I thought that Robert was going to be the center fielder that I have been waiting my entire life for, but it appears that he's just another frail flower . what an absolute disappointment this team has been.

Abreu sure had a nice Sox career. Definitely will go in the team's Hall of Fame. I had my doubts early in the season when he couldn't get over .240. He's been a hit machine and I've never hated his defense, although really early in the season I thought he wasn't digging as well as the past. Love me some Abreu. ... It's not his fault the team is loaded with DH types Sign him.

Edited by greg775

14 hours ago, Jnooch said:

The thing I never hear anyone questioning is why Grandal is in the DH role when hes hitting under .200 and has 3 HRs the 

entire season. This alone is reason for Tony to be fired. Grandal & Garcia should be released today! Both are sunk costs to the org.

Grandal should only be playing catcher and platooning. He's not hitting. I'd much rather see Vaughn or Jimenez at DH the last 40 games. 

I respect Abreus wishes if he wants to retire or sign elsewhere. But if he wants to come back you absolutely bring him back. He is the heart and soul of this team, a warrior, and the closest guy on this roster that we can say has a championship attitude. It's super unfortunate this hasnt rubbed off on his team mates.

15 hours ago, South Sider said:

I respect Abreus wishes if he wants to retire or sign elsewhere. But if he wants to come back you absolutely bring him back. He is the heart and soul of this team, a warrior, and the closest guy on this roster that we can say has a championship attitude. It's super unfortunate this hasnt rubbed off on his team mates.

I want Abreu back on the White Sox. He's our best offensive player. If he wants (or gets) a 3 or 4 year deal, that's probably not the smartest move, but I'd overpay on a shorter-term deal (1 or 2 years). 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, spiderman said:

I want Abreu back on the White Sox. He's our best offensive player. If he wants (or gets) a 3 or 4 year deal, that's probably not the smartest move, but I'd overpay on a shorter-term deal (1 or 2 years). 

Just remember, if you keep Abreu at his current salary, you basically have no more money to play with. Effectively, re-signing Abreu to his current salary leaves the White Sox a couple million dollars below their ‘22 payroll. To add anything other than scraps, they would need to subtract someone if they can’t massively increase payroll. 

With how their expensive guys have performed this year making their salaries almost unmovable, basically adding Abreu means you’re very close to “the team is on the field”, except you also lose Harrison and Cueto. This may be the right decision, but it’s one we should be conscious of.

On 8/20/2022 at 9:24 AM, CentralChamps21 said:

There are plenty of people in the org who can fill the utility role.

Who are you thinking that can play short, second, and all outfield positions? 

The question isn't defending Leury, more condemning a farm system that's bare. 

On 8/20/2022 at 2:19 PM, Jerksticks said:

Which is why we need to fire Hahn for putting that collection of young talent together. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Just remember, if you keep Abreu at his current salary, you basically have no more money to play with. Effectively, re-signing Abreu to his current salary leaves the White Sox a couple million dollars below their ‘22 payroll. To add anything other than scraps, they would need to subtract someone if they can’t massively increase payroll. 

With how their expensive guys have performed this year making their salaries almost unmovable, basically adding Abreu means you’re very close to “the team is on the field”, except you also lose Harrison and Cueto. This may be the right decision, but it’s one we should be conscious of.

Good point and if he is back to playing first base that means you see more of Sheets/Vaughn in the outfield which isn't working very well defensively (which is also a crucial part of the game).

And if those guys are going to have to play the outfield that gives Hahn another reason not to try to fill the gaping hole in RF.

12 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Good point and if he is back to playing first base that means you see more of Sheets/Vaughn in the outfield which isn't working very well defensively (which is also a crucial part of the game).

And if those guys are going to have to play the outfield that gives Hahn another reason not to try to fill the gaping hole in RF.

There are certainly ways that this could work out. If Sosa and Romy could fill Harrison’s role and Colas could fill the RF hole, you can use Vaughn at DH or trade him for a pitcher and move Eloy to DH while keeping Abreu. It’s maybe only a short term plan, and it relies a lot on Colas and Sosa being big leaguers when at least Sosa isn’t one right now, but it could work.

We should just be conscious of it. You resign Abreu, you effectively are done on the FA market for anyone other than scraps.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There are certainly ways that this could work out. If Sosa and Romy could fill Harrison’s role and Colas could fill the RF hole, you can use Vaughn at DH or trade him for a pitcher and move Eloy to DH while keeping Abreu. It’s maybe only a short term plan, and it relies a lot on Colas and Sosa being big leaguers when at least Sosa isn’t one right now, but it could work.

We should just be conscious of it. You resign Abreu, you effectively are done on the FA market for anyone other than scraps.

The other 'wild card' is JR. We know his feelings towards Jose' and we know he personally stepped in during the last contract negotiations. 

Regarding the FA scraps comment, given the history of the organization especially with Hahn as G.M. that's basically all they've been doing anyway. 

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 7:50 AM, Jnooch said:

The thing I never hear anyone questioning is why Grandal is in the DH role when hes hitting under .200 and has 3 HRs the 

entire season. This alone is reason for Tony to be fired. Grandal & Garcia should be released today! Both are sunk costs to the org.

Grandal was the DH because TLR is a bad manager.  He is also the slowest runner in the majors. See CC Sabathia comments that TLR is out of touch and should not be managing the White Sox.  Soxtalk is not the only one complaining about TLR.

• Haha 1

On 8/20/2022 at 3:19 PM, Jerksticks said:

Blame it squarely on JR and TLR to begin with.  Putting an out of touch 77 yr old has been in charge of a bunch of young talent was unconscionable.

On 8/20/2022 at 8:30 AM, Dick Allen said:

Their sales staff is going to have to wake up, for sure. I have a partial plan that right now I would say I will not renew. You can do a lot better buying on Stubhub and they do nothing anymore for their season ticketholdrrs. Used to have parties, send you gifts, invite you to talks, would have a staff member actually contact you. Now nothing. Get a canned once a month season ticketholder newsletter trying to get you to buy more, and the only attempt at a perk was an invitation to White Sox BP to a game not in my 20 gane plan where I would have to buy more tickets. They claimed if you couldn't attend, there would be more opportunities.  That was a couple of months ago. Haven't had more opportunities. They were counting on this team being all they needed, and are going to get burned.

And if they bring back TLR forget about selling more season tickets.