Jump to content

Unprecedented inaction?


mmmmmbeeer
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've been a baseball fan for a long time.  That said, I usually stick to Sox games, great matchups, follow the standings, and play FBB.  So while I know the game pretty damn well, there's (obviously) a ton I am clueless about.

One thing that has bothered me most about this season has been the inaction.  Manager, coaches, FO, training staff, scouting dept....as far as I know, there's been zero accountability in this organization for what has been an abysmal performance.  It goes beyond accountability, too, imo.  Sometimes even if you think a guy might be a good fit for a job, you have to try something different sometimes.....find a spark to get things rolling in a different direction.

I can't think of another MLB team in memory which had such high expectations, floundered spectacularly, and NOT ONE EFFORT WAS MADE TO TRY SOMETHING...ANYTHING....to turn the tides. I truly think we're watching history being made.  Countless teams have underperformed, and countless teams have made changes in-season to try to salvage a season.  Not the Sox.

WS: "Yeah, we're really frustrated by the way this season has gone"

Press: "Has there been any thoughts of making changes in the coaching staff?"

WS: "Why would we do that?  We're happy with our staff."

Press: "What about the training staff?"

WS: "Nope..doing a great job.  Just bad luck."

Press: "What about underperforming players?  Any thought to benching the guys struggling the most?"

WS: "Nope.  They've been taking good hacks...about to get hot!"

Press: "So, basically, you're thrilled with everything but your record?"

WS: "Yep."

Like, what?!?!

  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If ever a team needed a managerial change, it was our 2022 White Sox, probably too late now to make a difference but this moron we have now should have never been hired in the first place. Another bad decision by JR in a 41 year span of many many bad decisions.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the VERY minimum Menechino should have been fired a long time ago. 
Obviously LaRussa should have been fired too. The coaching/decision making is bad enough, but imo there’s too much smoke for there not to be some truth to the Sox having a bad clubhouse. It’s obvious that the demeanor of pretty much the entire team sucks. The apathy towards underachieving is hard to watch. 

 

I have no problem with not trading whatever few prospects we have for help at the trade deadline tho. It was far too late to think that any minor improvement was really going to turn this team around. 1 of the very few correct decisions by Hahn 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the most annoying part of this horrible season for me too.  It’s just shockingly pathetic that they didn’t attempt to change things up with manager change, hitting coach change… Something.   And completely inactive trade deadline just added to the annoyance.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not surprised by this. The White Sox rarely take action when needed. They should have gotten rid of Guillen long before he left. Ventura should have been fired after his second season. Countless other moves should have been made during the past few years and all we got was a tank job. I am not disappointed because I expected nothing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

If ever a team needed a managerial change, it was our 2022 White Sox, probably too late now to make a difference but this moron we have now should have never been hired in the first place. Another bad decision by JR in a 41 year span of many many bad decisions.

The season that could have been and never was. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

At the VERY minimum Menechino should have been fired a long time ago. 
Obviously LaRussa should have been fired too. The coaching/decision making is bad enough, but imo there’s too much smoke for there not to be some truth to the Sox having a bad clubhouse. It’s obvious that the demeanor of pretty much the entire team sucks. The apathy towards underachieving is hard to watch. 

 

I have no problem with not trading whatever few prospects we have for help at the trade deadline tho. It was far too late to think that any minor improvement was really going to turn this team around. 1 of the very few correct decisions by Hahn 

 

 

How can you say it was a correct decision ? Which prospects do you expect to come up and actually be good for the Sox in the coming years ? And will those coming years with those prospects yield any playoff  baseball ? Too many here take a playoff appearance for granted like we have so many coming in the near future.

If the Sox had got a couple of LH bats at the trade deadline this team might be in 1st place by a few games already with the starters and the BP doing a pretty good job. Then you have Colas who could've been brought up later  to give the team even more of a LH flavor.

Good pitching with some hitting and defense goes a long way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

I've been a baseball fan for a long time.  That said, I usually stick to Sox games, great matchups, follow the standings, and play FBB.  So while I know the game pretty damn well, there's (obviously) a ton I am clueless about.

One thing that has bothered me most about this season has been the inaction.  Manager, coaches, FO, training staff, scouting dept....as far as I know, there's been zero accountability in this organization for what has been an abysmal performance.  It goes beyond accountability, too, imo.  Sometimes even if you think a guy might be a good fit for a job, you have to try something different sometimes.....find a spark to get things rolling in a different direction.

I can't think of another MLB team in memory which had such high expectations, floundered spectacularly, and NOT ONE EFFORT WAS MADE TO TRY SOMETHING...ANYTHING....to turn the tides. I truly think we're watching history being made.  Countless teams have underperformed, and countless teams have made changes in-season to try to salvage a season.  Not the Sox.

WS: "Yeah, we're really frustrated by the way this season has gone"

Press: "Has there been any thoughts of making changes in the coaching staff?"

WS: "Why would we do that?  We're happy with our staff."

Press: "What about the training staff?"

WS: "Nope..doing a great job.  Just bad luck."

Press: "What about underperforming players?  Any thought to benching the guys struggling the most?"

WS: "Nope.  They've been taking good hacks...about to get hot!"

Press: "So, basically, you're thrilled with everything but your record?"

WS: "Yep."

Like, what?!?!

I think it's the injuries that have prevented firings. Season has been one long injury report. Though this walking guys with 1-2 counts are fireable offenses coupled with this .500 record IMO. Tony is insane to walk guys who have 1-2 counts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

How can you say it was a correct decision ? Which prospects do you expect to come up and actually be good for the Sox in the coming years ? And will those coming years with those prospects yield any playoff  baseball ? Too many here take a playoff appearance for granted like we have so many coming in the near future.

If the Sox had got a couple of LH bats at the trade deadline this team might be in 1st place by a few games already with the starters and the BP doing a pretty good job. Then you have Colas who could've been brought up later  to give the team even more of a LH flavor.

Good pitching with some hitting and defense goes a long way.

To each their own, but it’s been painfully obvious to me all year that this team has shown 0 heart or fight to think they could even come close to competing for a championship. And whatever 2 mediocre left handed bats were available to the Sox weren’t going to change that….not even sure where you’re fitting 2 bats into the lineup and improving it anyway 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

To each their own, but it’s been painfully obvious to me all year that this team has shown 0 heart or fight to think they could even come close to competing for a championship. And whatever 2 mediocre left handed bats were available to the Sox weren’t going to change that….not even sure where you’re fitting 2 bats into the lineup and improving it anyway 

Ok just to be clear you really don't care ever about making the playoffs , just let the team continue to be mediocre or bad season after season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

To each their own, but it’s been painfully obvious to me all year that this team has shown 0 heart or fight to think they could even come close to competing for a championship. And whatever 2 mediocre left handed bats were available to the Sox weren’t going to change that….not even sure where you’re fitting 2 bats into the lineup and improving it anyway 

Every bat on this roster is easily replaceable except maybe Robert 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ok just to be clear you really don't care ever about making the playoffs , just let the team continue to be mediocre or bad season after season.

The season was already lost. Trading prospects to try and save a sinking ship is dumb 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Every bat on this roster is easily replaceable except maybe Robert 

Not even close. Pollack sure, but Eloy (when healthy) and Vaughn we weren’t getting better bats. Harrison has actually been solid the past few months, you weren’t finding a LH 2B to replace him. So yeah, you could have improved the OF defense…but the team is already a bottom 10 offense, it would have been a net neutral most likely. 
 

What realistic trade target would you have acquired that would have turned this team around?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

I've been a baseball fan for a long time.  That said, I usually stick to Sox games, great matchups, follow the standings, and play FBB.  So while I know the game pretty damn well, there's (obviously) a ton I am clueless about.

One thing that has bothered me most about this season has been the inaction.  Manager, coaches, FO, training staff, scouting dept....as far as I know, there's been zero accountability in this organization for what has been an abysmal performance.  It goes beyond accountability, too, imo.  Sometimes even if you think a guy might be a good fit for a job, you have to try something different sometimes.....find a spark to get things rolling in a different direction.

I can't think of another MLB team in memory which had such high expectations, floundered spectacularly, and NOT ONE EFFORT WAS MADE TO TRY SOMETHING...ANYTHING....to turn the tides. I truly think we're watching history being made.  Countless teams have underperformed, and countless teams have made changes in-season to try to salvage a season.  Not the Sox.

WS: "Yeah, we're really frustrated by the way this season has gone"

Press: "Has there been any thoughts of making changes in the coaching staff?"

WS: "Why would we do that?  We're happy with our staff."

Press: "What about the training staff?"

WS: "Nope..doing a great job.  Just bad luck."

Press: "What about underperforming players?  Any thought to benching the guys struggling the most?"

WS: "Nope.  They've been taking good hacks...about to get hot!"

Press: "So, basically, you're thrilled with everything but your record?"

WS: "Yep."

Like, what?!?!

That's waaaaaaaay too many questions from the local press.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Not even close. Pollack sure, but Eloy (when healthy) and Vaughn we weren’t getting better bats. Harrison has actually been solid the past few months, you weren’t finding a LH 2B to replace him. So yeah, you could have improved the OF defense…but the team is already a bottom 10 offense, it would have been a net neutral most likely. 
 

What realistic trade target would you have acquired that would have turned this team around?

Are you watching this offense? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A healthy functional organisation would have never hired TLR.  Nor would they let the same dopes that couldn’t build a winning team for nearly a decade do a full tear down and rebuild.  The ineptitude goes all the way to the top, as does the deep festering rot that keeps the org from achieving the sustained success they love to say is the goal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Inactivity is the norm for 86 and 77 year olds. Changing oatmeal brands is considered a major life decision at this stage of life.

I’m 38, and I am forever a Bob’s Red Mill guy.

Change my mind.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if hahn has kinda given up a little because he is frustrated by Jerry.

 

I'm sure hahn hated it when jerry hired larussa and also didn't give him much money to work with. 

Maybe hahn went to jerry in may to fire larussa and menechino and jerry said no and then hahn kinda lost motivation and just did nothing at the deadline. 

That does happen sometimes with employees when they face a frustrating situation in their company that they can't chance,  they kinda emotionally detach themselves from the job and only do the absolute minimum to keep the job until they find another job opportunity. 

Hahn is a smart person, I'm sure he did want to have a smart modern manager,  an improved analytics department and a modern data driven player dev but he probably faced too much resistance in the "bro company" and when jerry didn't support him in cleaning house and remove the guys who resist modernisation he probably just gave up and kinda only did the minimum as he saw his efforts as futile. 

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I wonder if hahn has kinda given up a little because he is frustrated by Jerry.

 

I'm sure hahn hated it when jerry hired larussa and also didn't give him much money to work with. 

Maybe hahn went to jerry in may to fire larussa and menechino and jerry said no and then hahn kinda lost motivation and just did nothing at the deadline. 

That does happen sometimes with employees when they face a frustrating situation in their company that they can't chance,  they kinda emotionally detach themselves from the job and only do the absolute minimum to keep the job until they find another job opportunity. 

Hahn is a smart person, I'm sure he did want to have a smart modern manager,  an improved analytics department and a modern data driven player dev but he probably faced too much resistance in the "bro company" and when jerry didn't support him in cleaning house and remove the guys who resist modernisation he probably just gave up and kinda only did the minimum as he saw his efforts as futile. 

This is 100% spot on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...