Fire Everyone Thread/Rebuild Maybe?

Dam8610

On 8/22/2022 at 4:11 PM, greg775 said:

Good organizations reload not rebuild and try to fool their fans. Tanking is for the weak. Just fire Hahn, all the coaches plus Tony. Beg Jerry to sell. Maybe with the Bears leaving the city, sox fan mayor would build a new stadium for the Sox downtown by Soldier Field. Definitely a good time for a new owner to come in and threaten to move the team if a new palace is not built. It would look very bad for LL if Bears and Sox leave. GRate field is OK for we diehards but not good nuff.

If Jerry would wake up and quit being so stubborn and arrogant and sell, then some serious billionaire with silly money would buy this team. A billionaire with liquid billionaire type money and not a billionaire like Jerry, who is only a billionaire on paper. 

With the right new owner, the Sox wouldn't need a full blown rebuild. The new owner would have the money to go after several quality free agents over the next few years and then spend money on cleaning house and finding new pres of baseball ops, who would hire the right people to be in charge of the club's drafting, developing and coaching required to build a elite level farm system.

Hell, if the new owner was really smart, he could go recruit Andrew Friedman away from LA and not only offer him more money and same title as he has now, but also offer him a small ownership stake in the club. 

Btw, I do love your idea of the Sox having a new stadium built for them by the city of Chicago by Soldier Field, when the Bears leave town.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

What I'd love to see for a 2023 lineup:

Chisholm 4

Robert 8

Vaughn DH

Abreu 9

Pederson 7

Anderson 6

Moncada 5

Grandal 2

Colas 9

Bench: Zavala, Mendick, Harrison, Hamilton

Leury is almost certain to be on the team.  And seems like Pollock would be crazy not to take his option unless he just really hates it here. 

8 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

If Jerry would wake up and quit being so stubborn and arrogant and sell, then some serious billionaire with silly money would buy this team. A billionaire with liquid billionaire type money and not a billionaire like Jerry, who is only a billionaire on paper. 

With the right new owner, the Sox wouldn't need a full blown rebuild. The new owner would have the money to go after several quality free agents over the next few years and then spend money on cleaning house and finding new pres of baseball ops, who would hire the right people to be in charge of the club's drafting, developing and coaching required to build a elite level farm system.

Hell, if the new owner was really smart, he could go recruit Andrew Friedman away from LA and not only offer him more money and same title as he has now, but also offer him a small ownership stake in the club. 

Btw, I do love your idea of the Sox having a new stadium built for them by the city of Chicago by Soldier Field, when the Bears leave town.

Enough with the talk of the cities paying for new stadiums. Its a grift.  If an owner wants to build a new stadium go ahead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Leury is almost certain to be on the team.  And seems like Pollock would be crazy not to take his option unless he just really hates it here. 

FWIW, the buyout should increase by another $1 mill after today. Another 50 PA and it increases another mill. If the buyout gets high enough, I think he would opt out.

I’m ready to burn it all down. I know that won’t happen but I’d rather replace the current lot with durable “try-hards”. Its pretty obvious at this point that guys like Robert, Eloy, Anderson, and Moncada are simply never going to be able to play much more than half a season, and you just can’t win like that. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Both need to be traded. Take nothing in return but salary relief if necesary.

Who do we think is taking on any portion of those deals? They are candidates to be designated for assignment, meaning the white Sox would pay their full contract and another team would get them for the league minimum. 

The only way you get salary relief with guys like that is by attaching something of value with them. Cease + Pollock for a couple prospects next summer, or Montgomery + Pollock + Leury for a small return. 

Alternatively, you could take back a comparably bad deal from someone else. Just make sure the guy doesn’t have an extra player option, like the white Sox did the last time they did a deal like that - Kimbrel for Pollock.

27 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Who do we think is taking on any portion of those deals? They are candidates to be designated for assignment, meaning the white Sox would pay their full contract and another team would get them for the league minimum. 

The only way you get salary relief with guys like that is by attaching something of value with them. Cease + Pollock for a couple prospects next summer, or Montgomery + Pollock + Leury for a small return. 

Alternatively, you could take back a comparably bad deal from someone else. Just make sure the guy doesn’t have an extra player option, like the white Sox did the last time they did a deal like that - Kimbrel for Pollock.

I see the Dodgers as the primary targets to eat 2023 salary (Lynn, Grandal, Pollock, Graveman, Kelly), in exchange for assets they may want (Robert, Liam, Cease, dare I say Moncada). 

I think you can still move Eloy, Moncada and Lucas. Anderson could be traded to a contender looking for a stopgap at SS on a good contract.

A motivated Sox ownership could slash payroll 50% + if that was their goal heading into 2023, even if they bring back Abreu.

Give Hahn and Tony a five-six year extension to let rebuild 2.0 play out, perhaps promote Getz and give Hahn KW’s spot. Jerry may already have put this plan in motion.

Guaranteed Future Money

• Moncada $42.6M
  • Robert $39.0M
  • Hendriks $29.3M
  • Jimenez $27.2M
  • Lynn $19.5M
  • Grandal $18.3M
  • Graveman $16.0M
  • Pollock $11M-$13M (Bench Now)
  • Leury $11.0M
  • Bummer $9.3M
  • Kelly $9.0M (WTF)
  • Diekman $4.5M
  • Harrison $1.5M
Edited by South Side Hit Men

1 hour ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Your comment reflects a lot of the sentiment that I've seen on this board and elsewhere in the past several days, and I'm sure that it will intensify in the next few weeks unless we see some miraculous turnaround.  However, this probably has little to do with stubbornness or arrogance.  JR may have those qualities, but I suspect that the decisions are quite rational.  Go back to Lip's August 21 posting earlier in this thread.  He indicated that there is a big tax incentive for JR to NOT sell before he passes away.   

If he doesn't sell, but wants to shake up management at the very top, that person has to learn the organization and set up his/her own structure.  That takes time.  It would be a highly desirable position, but, again, the owner's age probably adds some risk to anyone considering it.  JR may be in great health and very sharp, but he's probably acutely aware that could change at any time.  So will anyone wanting to take on the position. 

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

What I'd love to see for a 2023 lineup:

Chisholm 4

Robert 8

Vaughn DH

Abreu 3

Pederson 7

Anderson 6

Moncada 5

Grandal 2

Colas 9

Bench: Zavala, Mendick, Harrison, Hamilton

Aim higher than Grandal still being on the roster…

25 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Hopefully we are all entertained with a few months of a very active house cleaning…

Anything otherwise will be adding insult to insult.

Hopefully there will be massive change. In the worst case scenario there is no change and we go into next season with the same shit FO and manager/coaches, then it's a huge blatant insult to the fan's intelligence. Jerry in essence would telling the fans FU...I don't care what the fans think, which we already know he doesn't. This would be Jerry at his worse, doubling down to his blind loyalty to his people....once again assuming the fans will keep spending money to watch his mediocre non-playoff team.

The signs and chants at the home games saying, "Sell The Team", "Fire Tony" and "Fire Hahn" better get more intense next season if no major change. Additionally the national and local media better criticize Jerry publicly in the worst scathing manner possible. Finally, the best way to stop Jerry's nonsense is for the fans not go to the games and let the team play in front of an empty ballpark.

2 hours ago, Spicy gar said:

Enough with the talk of the cities paying for new stadiums. Its a grift.  If an owner wants to build a new stadium go ahead.

I figured with the Bears gonzo to Arlington, LL cannot afford to lose the Cubs, Sox or Blackhawks to Arlington. So when everything changes with new GM, new manager, hopefully new owner, why not a new baseball palace at Soldier Field?

p.s. I don't follow baseball that closely anymore except for the Sox. My Q is: With the Sox current roster as is ... let's say the roster could stay completely healthy thru the entire season, let's say they have 2-3 players out  2 weeks each and that's it. Could that Sox roster catch fire, say, next year and win the AL? Is a healthy Sox roster with no changes capable of winning it all? I'm assuming in this day and age other teams might have just as many holes.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Eloy has value. Someone would take most if not all of his contract. Leury may need value attached and that's where guys like Burger/Sheets/Sosa come in handy. Even if you can only unload half of Leury's salary, do it.

So let's see.

1) The Owner buys the CWS for pennies on the dollar.

2) Gets a notoriously sweetheart of a  stadium deal from a near bankrupt state.

3) MLB inserts CWS in the Central Division where they've remained the sole major market team for decades.

And in current ownership's 40+ year tenure all we"ve gotten is a one-hit wonder.

Edited by GradMc
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would rather get a real manager into town and really evaluate what is happening with this team.  There would be nothing worse than trading away someone like Eloy or Moncada for them to find real leadership somewhere else and get back to themselves. 

And a competent training staff too. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would rather get a real manager into town and really evaluate what is happening with this team.  There would be nothing worse than trading away someone like Eloy or Moncada for them to find real leadership somewhere else and get back to themselves. 

Even if Eloy gets back to himself he's not an outfielder and there's still a 1B/DH logjam assuming that Abreu is brought back. Moncada I'm not willing to get rid of just yet.